1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Well in that case you better not turn up to a Melb Meetup!

1 person likes this.
  2. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Thanks to all you gave experiences with their AeroPress.

I just discovered one of my sisters has one. So I'm going to borrow it for a week or two. Picked up a small auto drip electric machine /warmer for $5 the other day. Has a removable metal mesh filter or will take the paper ones. Works well. Takes 30 secs or so for one cup. Good drink and cleans up easily.

3. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

I got lucky with the Etsy one. On eBay I had an alert set up in case someone put it up for sale. Love eBay alerts...

4. Liber

Liber Well-Known Member

http://www.kommandostore.com/maintenance/

They sell Austrian m65's, when the store opens back up, get in there and snag one.

5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. terrya

terrya Member

Yeah everything changes to quickly ! You go somewhere for a couple months come back and the trend has changed

7. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I noticed also that there's an Australian Alpha Industries site but they don't have the slim fit version.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  8. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

Haha, that post takes the cake, Fxh. No words needed.

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

So you got the invite to Prince Harry's 30th as well?

3 people like this.
  11. Prince of Paisley

Beautiful collection, complements.

Do you wear them though? I would have thought they'd muck up your hair pretty boy (yes, I am just a bit jealous).

12. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

PoP they are mostly my father's old hats. (vintage thirst many years on the shoulder) Only some of his many. They fit me with some adjustments.

But yes they do play buggery with the coiffure, almost as bad as a bike helmet, plus the very weather you want to wear them - at least in winter - its blowy and they blow off or have to be held on - which is a pain. Plus theres nowhere to put your hat these days - so if you go somewhere other than work - you have to hold the bloody thing. So the reality is I don't really wear them. In summer I find hats actually make me feel hotter although one is supposed to ( rightly) wear to protect against sun - however so far I haven't had any skin problems.

Sadly a BiL has severe cancer on the head now - hes fair skinned - not swarthy like me - and no hair - hes had a lot of surgery and it looks bad so he wears a hat now at all times inside too - hes prognosis isn't good. So I would encourage people to wear a proper hat in summer. A baseball/tractor/idiot flag cap isn't a proper hat unless painting a ceiling.

13. Prince of Paisley

Yes, they are not the most practical accessory for many occasions this day and age, that's for sure. It's only wet or really cold days that they come into their own. Like you wouldn't wear a trenchcoat on a pleasant day, and as you say if you are getting in and out of taxis, pubs etc. when you have to hold it more than wear it you're better off leaving it at home. But for the daily commute or walking the dog, and for saving stuffing around with umbrellas, a good hat like a good coat has its uses.

Summer hats same issues but even 10 minutes walking in the hot sun I can feel it burning into my skull... Hence I usually don a straw trilby or panama in lieu of the ozone layer if I'm going to be outside for any length of time in summer.

FWIW the last hat I bought has a lapel cord you can loop into your buttonhole to stop it blowing off on a really windy day. Not sure I'd ever use it though.

14. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Everyday this thing puts little bumps in my beautiful hair....(such a hard life)

[​IMG]

15. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

In light of all those requests for SS fits (see what I did there)...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. ryanohare

ryanohare Well-Known Member

Went into Matt @ SS today for second fitting of my light grey suit. It's the absolute show. Couldn't be happier with it, and even Matt seemed delighted with it.

Needs a tiny little adjustment at the back collar, and should be ready to go in a week or so. I'll post some pics when I pick it up.

1 person likes this.
  17. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Were you wearing socks?

18. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

Picked up my new suit from Suit Shop yesterday and as promised here are some pics. It's a Navy 3 piece in a Zegna S120 3 season fabric. In hindsight there are a few things I probably would have done differently but I guess that's just part of the journey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suit - Suit Shop
    Shirt - Hugo Boss
    Tie - Henry Carter
    Pocket Square - Vanda
    Shoes - Crockett & Jones

Vest that goes with it -
    [​IMG]

And here are my other purchases of late -

PJ Shirts, the death of RTW shirts for me. Surpasses any expectations I had it's simply amazing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vanda -

[​IMG]

Ralph Lauren Black Label -

[​IMG]

AHW Cufflinks made out of old watch movements, sadly not for me but a present for a friend.
    [​IMG]

Beater 100% Merino Wool sweater.
    [​IMG]

Also Barbour Commander, I don't know if can part with it or not... Thinking about taking it to a tailor to get it let out slightly as it's only just too small.

[​IMG]

Also just to add some more pics my favourite bit of kit this winter, Billy Reid Peacoat -
    [​IMG]

So was that enough pics?

7 people like this.
  19. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

arch3r, what would you have done differently with the suit?

i'm digging the commander. have been wanting to upgrade my peacoat as it's starting to wear a little; actually had the billy reid one in mind after seeing skyfall. mind sharing with us where you got it? direct from BR?

20. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.