• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, the French luxury goods giant, agreed on Monday to pay 2 billion euros, or about $2.6 billion, for an 80 percent stake in Loro Piana, adding a famous name to its portfolio of brands. The deal values the company, which is based in Quarona, Italy, at 2.7 billion euros.

Under the terms of the deal, Sergio and Pier Luigi Loro Piana, the co-chief executives who are great-great-grandchildren of the cloth merchant Giacomo Loro Piana, will continue to run the company. The family will retain a 20 percent stake.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My dad started out as a fitter-and-turner and he said that he used to wear his good clothes to work and then change into overalls and boots at work - and he wasn't the only one, as most of his workmates used to do the same.

Even after my father became an engineer, he'd still often have to get dirty on work sites, but once again he'd dress well to head to work and then change into work clothes once he got there.

He wore shorts around the house but whenever left the house, he'd always put on a pair of long trousers, a button-up shirt and proper shoes.

My father was a rigger and I distinctly remember his Florshiem cap toes and RM boots. I also remember he had a pair of boots made at The Marvel Shoe Co in Flinders St Darlinghurst, they used to do a lot of riding boots for jockeys. I also remember my mother ironing his work shirts and trousers. (along with my Levis, shudder)

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good shoes were certainly more readily available, and the other forgotten factor is that there were people making good quality shoes (in Melbourne at least). Not just one or two shops either.
Australia wasn't always a tertiary economy; in the 1940s through to the '60s the manufacturing industry thrived on foreign investment and cheap local labour, similar to the experience of developing countries today. Now the tariffs are gone and the labour is expensive, so importing is far more cost effective than greenfields investment in Australian manufacturing capacity.

But back then a lot of good shoes were made here under licence - such as Packard and Florsheim - mainly to avoid the prohibitive tariffs imposed on imports that existed in the post war years. The design and lasts were usually imported from the US, while the labour (cheaper than the US then) and leather was sourced locally to make the shoes. Apparently most of the shoes were hand welted until the 1950s. There were also some home grown competitors, such as Edward Meller, who used to make mens shoes here (I don't believe the modern company of the same name is related).

By this way the (mainly US) companies could penetrate the local market and avoid the trade barriers. The most obvious example of this method was in the automotive industry... not just Ford and Holden but Chrysler, even Citroën used to build cars under licence here (Citroën actually had a plant in West Heidelberg). Some Swiss watches were also assembled here, as were optics, and there are probably thousands of other examples. Quite often the quality of the product from the Australian factories (or assembly lines) was equal to or superior to the "home" product...

So no, it wasn't a case of having to pick up good shoes on an overseas trip... that was for the toffs mate! I have a relative who boasted that he was born in Carlton, went to school in Lee St, then to Carlton tech on Victoria St (now part of RMIT), worked in Carlton, and wanted to be buried in Melbourne General cemetery... in Carlton. "Never have to leave Carlton" he said.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You've got a lot to learn then about shoe soles.
Perfect modern spouse.

She is indeed!

Azzarro. And maybe make an appointment with Matt for a Suit Shop chat. Visit Richard at Ludlow's and play with his HC line. (When the trunk show was on, they had a stand of suits at unbelievable prices, but they may be gone now). Drop in at the Men's Biz warehouse.

If you like cologne, the perfume section at Myer Melbourne, including the Mecca stand, is great. Not cheap, but you will get to try some amazing stuff.
Pack a coat. And a sweater, a scarf, some gloves and your thermals.

I see the weather has taken a turn for the grim, just in time for my arrival! My only long coat is pretty crappy, I was going to try to get away with a flannel-like blazer over a v-neck with a scarf, which saw me through most of Japan.

Thanks for the suggestions: Azzaro was the one that I was grasping for the name of. Men's Biz is the grooming supplier, yes?

Here is an old post I did about visiting Melbourne that may help a little (there are probably some new places now) - http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...-man-i-saw-a-couple-of-places-that-youre-from

Loving this cold weather, finally get to use my whole wardrobe including scarves, gloves, overcoats and I do not arrive to work hot and sweaty after the 15 minute walk.

Thanks! I've checked out Sarti before, found them to be a bit pricey.

The restaurant of same name, on the other hand, looks great! Actually, while I'm at it, any recommendations for where to eat? I know most of the obvious spots but I'm sure there's plenty that I'm missing...

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ ouch that's awful...

Been struggling a bit for time to post fits lately, but snuck one out today.

Suit: MJ Bale
Shirt: Cottonwork (needs collar points lengthened)
Tie: Henry Carter Macclesfield #5
Ps: Henry Carter white irish linen
Shoes: Meermin MTO

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ How is the baby Jase? I'd like to tell you things get easier, but...well...that would a bald-faced lie :)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ How is the baby Jase? I'd like to tell you things get easier, but...well...that would a bald-faced lie :)

Well, things do get much easier in some ways (more sleep, no more middle-of-the-night feeds), but more difficult in others as children learn to argue, learn to test the boundaries and so on!

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, things do get much easier in some ways (more sleep, no more middle-of-the-night feeds), but more difficult in others as children learn to argue, learn to test the boundaries and so on!

LOL then children become teenagers and then young adults. What fun! :)

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah going great thanks, she is almost 5 months old now, time flies. She is a good baby overall, sleeps well and is very happy (and gorgeous but of course every dad says that).

How old is yours now?

Here is a pic of her a few weeks back coming for a visit in the office -

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The scary thing is when they start to address you in an adult way. The missus had a small snap at our 11 year old for not responding to something she said and he turned around cool as a cucumber and said 'I knew you were addressing me; now what did you want to discuss?'.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By this way the (mainly US) companies could penetrate the local market and avoid the trade barriers. The most obvious example of this method was in the automotive industry... not just Ford and Holden but Chrysler, even Citroën used to build cars under licence here (Citroën actually had a plant in West Heidelberg). Some Swiss watches were also assembled here, as were optics, and there are probably thousands of other examples. Quite often the quality of the product from the Australian factories (or assembly lines) was equal to or superior to the "home" product...

Coincidentally, I just spotted this episode of ABC Radio National's rather good "Rear Vision" program, about the history of Australia's car industry, including tariff barriers and financial encouragements:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/australian-auto-industry-myths/4808616

ivormiric

Reaction score
So I walked into Harold's today and they had a beautiful Dark brown PAL Zileri trench however.....it was $2300.

any thoughts on how to source it cheaper from the states or overseas?

Should i go back in there, find out the model number and just use an overseas proxy?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads