Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Mr Porter - ordered 25 June pm, delivered 28 June pm. Boom.

2. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

To be honest, I have Church's pre and post Prad and they are all excellent. I know that recently they have changed somethings around (like bookbinder leather being an option and some new lines) but if you choose wisely what you want they still make great shoes.

This is the kind of turnaround I am hoping for too. Hoping my order will arrive early next week.

In contrast, I ordered some suit hangers from Sydney about 3 weeks ago, paid over $20 in shipping and am still chasing them up for it.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

My mate the Shooman reckons that Churches are still ok and theres no evidence in the construction of the post Prada shoes if comparing apples with pommes.
    However if you go into McClouds almost all the Church's are split/binder/corrected grain (not all exactly the same). Many old school Churches buyers I know prefer the look of corrected grain.

Despite some mythology corrected grain isn't necessarily inferior to calf or top leather for a shoe. Its a different look and care though.

4. Overcomb

Overcomb New Member

I appreciate the help guys, will drop in to MJB over the weekend.

5. meister

meister Senior member

Churchs is the best of the binder but it still has the same problems with indelible unmoveable scuffs. But then they tell me they fly out the window with lazy types that don't polish their shoes.

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Church's have always been expensive, and you have always paid for "the brand". Just as now you pay more for James Bond's shoes of choice, Church's have commanded a premium for ages, not entirely undeserved given their quality, but not entirely unrelated to their popularity amongst the well to do. It's one of the major reasons Prada bought them in the first place. It's also perhaps why they aren't considered good value. Short step from there to "poor quality"... for the price maybe. But objectively they are still top shoes I reckon.

Like I said earlier I haven't seen any drop in quality since Prada took over, at least not in the custom grade line. And agree 100% about binder leather; it has some advantages and isn't always inferior. Better water resistance than calf and much easier to look after, for example.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  7. fxh

fxh Senior member

I have to say I don't like the shiny look of binder etc at all - but a few of my mates who always buy Churches at McClouds love them - and I must say - on them - they look ok (ish) .

Another example of how in clothing if you are true to yourself and wear what is you and suits you it will (nearly) always look ok.

8. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

How are McClouds' prices like? Their website doesn't say much... I'm imagining close to RRP.

9. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Consider a reasonable price for a pair of shoes, in your mind.

Then double it.

That's the McCloud's promise to you!

10. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

...as I feared.... some things never change.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

just saw it completely over the top. full of pop culture references, had to laugh at the JC illusions as we all know Superman is a son of Abraham

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

You mean he's Jewperman?

13. Kyon

Kyon Member

Boo -- ordered 24th June, and I'm still waiting on it. Don't mind me though, I'm a product of brats who expect too much from express service.

14. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Quote: The former: clothes, watches and shoes.

The latter: women.

15. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Quick heads-up on Double Monk (Smith St shoe retailer):

Went in there tonight to purchase a pair of C&J scotch-grain Exmoors I've been losing sleep over. I took the canny step of bringing in four pairs of well-liked shoes currently lacking trees.

Double Monk have some great budget trees, I think they are cedar but not sure. Anyway they are spring-loaded and have split toes which expand on insertion. Very good value for money at $49 per pair. I'm all treed up now and it didn't cost me as much as I expected. Also picked up some Saphir Renovateur.

Double Monk are currently my favourite shoe store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.