1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overcomb

Overcomb New Member

Noobie post incoming.
    What are your thoughts on the MJ Bale suits they have in the 2 for 1 grand offer? (sadly missed the gq code).
    Im at uni and it seems pretty decent, not sure what 'weave' means in regards to some of their suits.
    They will be my first interview/job suits, does it matter that they are only half canvas?

Saunders navy: http://www.mjbale.com/suits/2-suits-for-1000/saunders-weave-navy-jacket
    Armidale navy: http://www.mjbale.com/suits/2-suits-for-1000/armidale-weave-navy-jacket
    Norwood grey: http://www.mjbale.com/suits/2-suits-for-1000/norwood-grey-jacket

Would I be better off going for herringbone over mj bale?
    Thanks

2. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Distinguished Member

I agree with both of you splendid chaps on this.

Nothing wrong with a good pair of Church's (I have 3 and they are just as good as my C&J's). Also, in asking if they Church's he was paying you what he considered to be a very high compliment.

Always liked this story about Church's - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2007-06-22/blair-wears-same-shoes-for-10-years/77290

In other news the Mr Porter Sale final broke me...think I might have a Nice Guy Gerry Nelson style addiction for Boglioli, ordered my 4th blazer today. Also picked up a Drakes Navajo Pocket Square, some socks (pink of course) and boxer shorts (well, since I had already paid the shipping). Have heard great things about Mr Porter's service so looking forward the arrival of the goods (have been impressed by their website and other media).

Here is the link (and a few photograph of the blazer) - https://www.mrporter.com/product/328979

Not sure they have quite the right chap modelling it, reminds of this MostExerent review - http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/post/17363056722/looks-good-unless-you-know-what-to-look-for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

3. joiji

joiji Distinguished Member

Half canvas is fine.

If MJ Bale fits you well, or well with little tailoring, the suits in the 2for1k offer are a good buy. MJ Bale are a perennial favourite along with Herringbone around these parts.

4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Distinguished Member

The Norwood and Armidale would be an excellent start to a wardrobe IMO.

5. sliq

sliq Distinguished Member

ties do wear.

6. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Distinguished Member

And stain. A tie can go from hero to zero in one lunch hour. Unlike suits etc. a stain usually spells the end for a tie. It can get expensive.

When it comes to ties, op shops rule. And Jason, when only the best will do.

7. jmills

jmills Senior Member

Don't say that! How am I going to sleep tonight? My precious ties ... don't listen to them, you're safe now, they can't hurt you ... [​IMG]

8. sliq

sliq Distinguished Member

nothing a bit of rubbing alcohol + hairdryer action can't fix.

9. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior Member

Quote:80% off will break anyone! Was tempted to get the Turnbull & Asser PJs but it seemed like overkill. In other news, some decent deals on the Paul Smith online store with an additional 20% of already reduced items (SS13EXTRA20 or SS13SALE20EAU) - looks like most of the popular shoe sizes disappeared overnight though...

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

Over 20 years ago I was looking at a paisley tie in Paddington i picked it had a look and it stated 100% pure polyester.

11. boff

boff Senior Member

MJB are fine. Be sure to budget around $150 for fitting per suit. Don't know where you are, but ask on this forum for recommendations for a good tailor (as opposed to just some alterations dude). MJB can also frequently be found for sale (permanently through their factory outlet), meaning you can get a decent suit for as little as $350.

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Distinguished Member

This is the forum where a $500 pair of Churches is 'mid tier'

As something that hangs from your neck people really do notice ties. IMO, $100 for something from HC or Hober isn't much of a call, nor is a $150 from Drakes with our current exchange rate.

Don't listen to him he hates Weather Report!!2!

13. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Distinguished Member

14. tobiasj

tobiasj Distinguished Member

15. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior Member

Hi guys,

Any suggestions for a good tailor for jacket alteration in Brisbane? I've heard the place (forgotten the name) on Caxton street is good, as is the place on Park Road, Milton...I'd rather pay a bit more for quality on this one as it is a nice Canali double-breasted blazer (?) that I got for $60 (ebay), so a couple of hundred on alterations and I'll still come out ahead. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.