• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oli, I had a lengthy post made up which somehow got lost but I'll say quickly, if your a young early 20's guy (pretty sure you are right?)then dress like one. which means no tweed or any of that malarkey.

Your on the right track I think. A good dinner/ date outfit for you, knowing your love of RM's would be a grey/tobacco blazer as you guest, crisp white shirt, dark denim and your RM's. No pocket squares, lapel pins etc. Even here around Canberra and the snowies where winter is actually winter (stop whingeing already you Sydneysiders :D), the Australian wardrobe is vastly different to what Manton describes should be worn. Call it climate, social acceptance or whatever you like, it's the truth. Better off dressing as to what's acceptable in real life situations in Australia instead of what is read in books, IMO of course.

Nicholas D C

Reaction score
The Steinhart you linked to isn't an exact copy - if it was IWC would be on to their lawyers I suspect. But it's obviously trying to be a cheaper alternative of something else and I just don't see their appeal if you set aside the lower pricetag. I don't think Steinhart has some forgotten pedigree as official watch supplier to Hermann Goering, and for their sake thankfully not (the question of why people like Axis pilot watches is something I don't get at all btw, but to each his own). More likely their history consists of some entrepreneur (possibly named Steinhart though not necessarily) deciding to make IWC lookalikes in China before having his German sister-in-law screw the back on so he can say they are "made in Germany", sell them for next to nothing and still make a profit. IMO you may as well save yourself another $500 and get a Parnis if all you are after is the pilot look, because that's all Steinhart are offering as far as I can see.

Found this on the IWC website:

From Steinhart:

There is some resemblance here, but I don't think it's to the extent that you're making it out to be. In fact, I'd say they're significantly different, in almost every way aside from font colour. I just don't get the 'trying hard to be something more expensive' argument, but maybe I'm just blind to the minor elements of the watches (v. possible).

Plestor

Reaction score

I'd skip the grey odd/blazer as they aren't as versatile as they look on paper from my experience;.

Awta.

I'd also agree with PoP's comments on cotton jackets.

No serious recommendations as I haven't looked at whats happening in the RTW world recently.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a tonne for all your help guys, I'll see what I can do once my Gillard money (youth allowance) comes in!

And romp - get your blue shirt back in stock in XL! :)

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks a tonne for all your help guys, I'll see what I can do once my Gillard money (youth allowance) comes in!

And romp - get your blue shirt back in stock in XL! :)
Thanks - you sure you are an XL rather than L? PM me your neck/chest/waist as I know the fit of these pretty intimately

Edit: my navy cotton jacket is in the look book however this is a closeup fyi

Last edited:

Nathan5653

Reaction score
i have no clue but i think you could, though, it might affect how the fabric drapes, thus, the balance across the shoulders.
Thanks, I'll probably go through with it because I really like the jacket.
The short answer is no. The long answer is anything is possible if you are willing to pay. (Warning - it could cost half as much as a new jacket and theres a distinct possibility it wouldn't turn out right.)

Roping isn't really related to "padding".

You can have "natural shoulders" that are roped.

Is it the roping you don't like or the built up shoulders? I like roped shoulders on some things.

There is an fetishistic concern on the USA parts of this forum with "natural" , "soft" or "shirt sleeved" shoulders. In many cases the wearers are badly served by them.
Thanks for the informative reply. I'm still learning so I'm not really sure how to reply to your question about the roping/built up shoulders. I only saw a post a while back by Jeffrey D about shoulder expression. But if I'm going to try, I think it's the roped shoulders that I have a problem with. Ignoring the sleeves, the shoulders look very similar to other jackets that I have.

Plestor

Reaction score
I'd skip the grey odd/blazer as they aren't as versatile as they look on paper from my experience;.

Awta.

I'd also agree with PoP's comments on cotton jackets.

No serious recommendations as I haven't looked at whats happening in the RTW world recently.

Actually I'll slightly amend this by saying it depends on how much you plan on wearing it with jeans. The reason that grey is considered less versatile is that grey odd trousers are the norm. If you wear jeans* enough this becomes not really the case...

*dark blue / indigo

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - you sure you are an XL rather than L? PM me your neck/chest/waist as I know the fit of these pretty intimately

Edit: my navy cotton jacket is in the look book however this is a closeup fyi

43.5/105/91.

How much did your PJ blazer set you back?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found this on the IWC website:
From Steinhart:
There is some resemblance here, but I don't think it's to the extent that you're making it out to be. In fact, I'd say they're significantly different, in almost every way aside from font colour. I just don't get the 'trying hard to be something more expensive' argument, but maybe I'm just blind to the minor elements of the watches (v. possible).
In relation to your original post I was actually thinking of these two as being rather similar.
Not exactly the same obviously or else the IP lawyers would be onto Mr Steinhart, but can you say there is less than a strong resemblance? Of course all pilots' watches share some attributes. But where is the innovation? A blued hand or two and an ETA movt... Some would call it an hommage but to me it just looks like a poorer version of the IWC. Steinhart do similar things with some Rolex designs as well from memory. You might find something unique about Steinhart's models, besides the price, which attracts you to them, in which case go for it; they're just not my cup of tea.

Nicholas D C

Reaction score
In relation to your original post I was actually thinking of these two as being rather similar.

Not exactly the same obviously or else the IP lawyers would be onto Mr Steinhart, but can you say there is less than a strong resemblance? Of course all pilots' watches share some attributes. But where is the innovation? A blued hand or two and an ETA movt... Some would call it an hommage but to me it just looks like a poorer version of the IWC. Steinhart do similar things with some Rolex designs as well from memory. You might find something unique about Steinhart's models, besides the price, which attracts you to them, in which case go for it; they're just not my cup of tea.

That is certainly a lot more similar than the previous models linked - and I can definitely see your point when comparing those two. I did see the Rolex 'inspired' models as well... Food for thought indeed.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

43.5/105/91.

How much did your PJ blazer set you back? 

Ah ok youve got a solid neck! Wll let you know.

The jacket i cant remember but its hand finished etc which costs more. Give them a buzz.

PS, fxh has a philosophy on watches too - don't spend more than $5 on one.

I guess nobody's perfect ;-)

People value items differently. If you dont see the value in the iwc va the steingart then get the imitator.

But if your gonna do that then just go to china and get the a grade fake.. At least its cheaper for the same "look"

I have owned the 3717 pilot watch but its busy and common ... traded it for a panerai.. Didnt like panerai either, felt like clock on a strap, unrefined and too showy.. plus it became very mainstream. Then found a new love for vintage JLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads