• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

No worries Gerry found me a source for the Barbour thornproof; anyhow what cut did you get on the 3sixteens and also did you size down? (cuz I didn't size down and stressing; fingers crossed)

Where did you go for the thornproof? I'm just about to reproof my jacket.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, why so cheap? Unless you're planning on doing it on a large scale ala TM Lewin there's just no profit margin in selling $40 shirts. And if you are you'd want to have some serious marketing budget behind you.

If you're thinking about Styleforum as a potential market (which there certainly is), then $40 is too cheap for here, it's a niche market and the members have very particular tastes. The price says it's poor quality even if it isn't if that makes sense. Unless it's only worth that much and if that's the case you will struggle to sell them in to this market.

Look through all of the affiliate threads at what feedback they get and you will find that generally the cheaper low end affiliates get a lot more negative feedback on them than the ones sourcing better/handmade goods. All my own experience/opinion of course.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ You are right on everything that you have said. Selling a shirt with free shipping and free return for under $40 there’s literally leaves next to no profit . And a small guy like me ordering small quantity don’t help either. But at this point I am not really into profit taking. I want to create a brand name that will sell quality business shirts at unbeatable price point. Offer customers US style free shipping free return . So customer could actually check the quality and not make a loss if they think its not worth the price. And along the way build a brand name.
And as you already know creating something /doing something that you love is the best part !
:slayer:

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No worries Gerry found me a source for the Barbour thornproof; anyhow what cut did you get on the 3sixteens and also did you size down? (cuz I didn't size down and stressing; fingers crossed)

I got the SL-100x jeans true to size and they felt just a little tight to begin with but after about 6 wears, are now comfortable and not loose at all. These don't stretch much by any account.

Which ones did you get?

fox81

Reaction score
as i know most of you are pretty thrifty, luisa's here in melbourne have some edward green's on sale for half price. its the outside store on russell st, across from the hyatt. most of them are marked at 1100ish (1200ish for the boots) so sub 600 for firsts is a very good deal. EG dont have them that cheap during their sales. some are marked edward green for boccanera (a quick google reveals it to be a shoe store in rome). theyre all 202 lasts and fairly conservative designs.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A CZECH-BORN woman has been found guilty of racially abusing her New Zealand-born neighbour by calling her a "stupid, fat Australian".

The Daily Mail reports that the row started after New Zealander Chelsea O'Reilly called the police following a fight between her neighbour Petra Mills and her husband in Macclesfield, England.

"She called me a stupid, fat Australian b****. Because of my accent there can be some confusion over my nationality. She knew I was from New Zealand. She was trying to be offensive. I was really insulted. She said she would kill my dog. Bizarrely she then blew raspberries at me like a child."

fox81

Reaction score
I recently had a pair of crockett and jones resoled by McClouds here in Melbourne. There havent been too many reports of people getting a goodyear welt resole, so I took some before and after shots for everyone.

Before:

After:

Overall, im happy with the job. There were one or two things where the finishing wasnt spot on, but the iphone doesnt do macro so well so i cant show you. i also had a photo of the inside of the shoe to show no visible stitching (proving the resoled it properly for a goodyear welt) but its not so pleasant with a sweaty inprint of my foot. The price was $130, which admittedly wasnt cheap but im satisfied all round.

Last edited:

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too Gerry; problem TBM? :) Wanted a more rugged looking pair and the whole slim fit just doesn't seem to work for me.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

as i know most of you are pretty thrifty, luisa's here in melbourne have some edward green's on sale for half price. its the outside store on russell st, across from the hyatt. most of them are marked at 1100ish (1200ish for the boots) so sub 600 for firsts is a very good deal. EG dont have them that cheap during their sales. some are marked edward green for boccanera (a quick google reveals it to be a shoe store in rome). theyre all 202 lasts and fairly conservative designs.

Hmmm... maybe I should see if I can get the red-eye to Melbourne tonight!

$600 for first-condition EGs is excellent indeed. I wonder if it's worth calling them to ask about models in my size.

strumpey

Reaction score
I'm starting to prepare for the post xmas sales and I'd like some advice please.

I need to replace a couple of suits. I normally get most of my work gear from Rhodes and Beckett but their colour schemes of late aren't really my thing and they haven't reall updated their suit material much so I need to broaden my brand base. For "on sale" suits around the $500 mark each what would you recommend? I see MJ Bale have 2 suits for $1k for what seems on a permanent basis, and farage has something similar for around the same amount. Are these worth it or can I do better? I'm after something that's pretty classic looking but I'd prefer quite fitted.

I've also had to start wearing orthotics. Can anyone recommend any casual shoe brands that work well with orthotics? Most I've seen don't fit them. I hope I don't have to continue to permanently wear leathers or sneakers.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently had a pair of crockett and jones resoled by McClouds here in Melbourne. There havent been too many reports of people getting a goodyear welt resole, so I took some before and after shots for everyone.
Overall, im happy with the job. There were one or two things where the finishing wasnt spot on, but the iphone doesnt do macro so well so i cant show you. i also had a photo of the inside of the shoe to show no visible stitching (proving the resoled it properly for a goodyear welt) but its not so pleasant with a sweaty inprint of my foot. The price was $130, which admittedly wasnt cheap but im satisfied all round.

Noice

Good to see pics of such things. I think the price is OK.

However a Topy would have cost $35.............

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ You are right on everything that you have said. Selling a shirt with free shipping and free return for under $40 there’s literally leaves next to no profit . And a small guy like me ordering small quantity don’t help either. But at this point I am not really into profit taking. I want to create a brand name that will sell quality business shirts at unbeatable price point. Offer customers US style free shipping free return . So customer could actually check the quality and not make a loss if they think its not worth the price. And along the way build a brand name.
And as you already know creating something /doing something that you love is the best part !
:slayer:

Well brand building is important but so is profit, not to line your pockets but to have money to re-invest back in to the company to grow it. Something else you should strongly consider is the expectation you are giving the customers that buy from you from the outset. What I mean is you can't make no profit forever, so eventually when it comes time to start making a profit you have to put your prices up, which is really hard to do, because why would someone pay $60 for the same shirt they bought for $40 last year. That's what I mean about setting expectations. $60 or even $50 is bugger all to pay for a good quality shirt so set it with something that's realistic that helps you re-invest to grow from the outset, not a year down the track when you have no money left. In saying that good luck and I hope it goes ok for you, but as my boss at my full time job says a lot, "you can't do something for nothing in the business world".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads