1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I am usually both.

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Even though they're chocolate its too small for me :(

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Agree something must be done to lengthen TBM's feet say to a size 10G UK would be very appropriate for me:)

6. Spinning

Spinning Active Member

To this post here;
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/25755#post_6107332
    Regarding shoe polish.

Where are you guys buying the products? Any brand/store recommendations.

Cheers!

Here's everything I reckon you need:

Saphir gold medal line products:
    1 Renovator
    1 black wax polish
    1 black cream polish
    1 appropriate brown wax polish
    1 appropriate brown cream polish

2 cloths or chamois. One to apply the renovator/polish with, One to buff the toe cap. (You can use a brush to apply the polish but I prefer using a cloth and working it into the leather in small circles.
    2 horsehair brushes to brush the polish off once it is dry. Use one for black and one for brown.

1 wooden box to keep it all in.

Very simple method that I use is:

• brush dust and dirt off shoe
    • apply Renovator over the complete shoe. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off.
    • apply cream polish all over the shoe including toe cap. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off.
    • apply wax polish to the toe cap. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off. (Repeat this step as many times as you like depending on how deep a shine you are after).
    • buff toe cap with fresh cloth.

If you want a mirror shine you can then wet a cloth and work it in small circles on the toe cap then finish it off with a buffing from a pair of nylon stockings.

7. lennier

lennier Senior member

No, because then they'll fit him and he'll keep them. What you need to do is *convince* TBM that he needs a 10G UK then pick them up when he on-sells them :)

1 person likes this.
  8. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

So I won three eBay tie auctions the other week in the early morning, which cost me $180 all up, and finally they've arrived from the UK :)

The seller was away for a couple of days so threw in another unsold tie to make up for the delay - one with which I forgot to bid on and really wanted anyway. All NWOT. Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tie on the right is a light green, but is slightly darker than it appears in the photos. Was that a steal or what?

2 people like this.
  9. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

10. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Dang, nice one Jake

11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Nice Jake. That light green one, what are you planning on wearing that with? It'll be a tough one moving in to winter.

Surprised to see Drakes using satin silk tipping rather than self tipping, given their price point at full price.

12. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Yeah I'm not too sure yet about that light green. Couldn't pass it up for $40, but am unsure if anything will go with it. Any suggestions?

13. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

I'd struggle to think of anything to wear it with in winter and would probably just wait till spring; though personally I do prefer dressing for winter.

Haven't posted very frequently so what's been going on recently? I see that Gerry and TBM are as dapper as ever but haven't seen many other pics so far and too long to catch up properly.
    Also realized I missed the knit ties I wanted from the HC sale T_T (plain navy and brown) but ah well.

By the way has anyone seen the Smedley polo collared knits? They look great am going through the interwebz trying to grab myself the 'Dorset' model will probably have one ordered by tonight considering It is one of there classic models assuming it is slim but not too slim.
    Hope it fits cuz it looks excellent; and what is the etiquette on knitwear sleeves? I usually turnback my sleeves as my arms aren't quite long enough and is there a way to actually shorten them (via a tailor)?

14. Henry Carter

Well it's probably worth accepting first up its not going to be an every day business acceptable tie. Light ties are always difficult due to lack of contrast with shirts.
    But in saying that, I'd wear it for spring and summer events, like the races or weddings and the like. It'll work with a light to mid grey suit and white shirt quite well but unfortunately the pastelly nature of the colour won't see it useable for another 6 months or so now.

1 person likes this.
  15. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Navy suit, white shirt

Navy jacket, white shirt, grey trousers

Dark brown suit, white shirt

Charcoal suit, white shirt

Brown tweed jacket, navy (or mid-grey) trousers, white shirt

Probably all with either a white or a dark green PS.

....aaaand I'm spent.

1 person likes this.
  16. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Jason I remember you ordered straight from smedley's website a small while ago; how was it if it indeed was you?

17. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I forgot to mention - I tried on a pair of non chelseas (Loake Brogues) the other day. The lack of body left my ankles feeling naked and exposed, and they weren't as comfy as my RMWs (though perhaps they needed wearing in)...

I'm thinking I'll drop my money on a pair of Loake Buckinghams in dark brown from Herring - I'm pretty sure I'm a 10, but if they turn out to be a little big will i be raped with shipping costs?

18. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I keep solids together, stripes together, motifs together, dots together and patterns together. Older ties get rolled up and go into a drawer any old how.

19. Henry Carter

I ended up getting the navy Johnstons of Elgin merino turtleneck instead of the Smedley one, it was about $50 cheaper, made in Scotland and it turned out perfect for what I want it for (wearing with cords on the weekend, under odd jackets and textured flannel suits). I went for a medium and it fit perfectly with nice long sleeves and body, not too tight but slim and firm where you want it around the wrists and the hem. It's pretty well perfect and I'll likely add a charcoal one when winter properly sets in. That doesn't help you much though!

20. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Be prepared to fork out about $70 shipping if you need to return them, plus you'll still incur the outwards shipping. Best to try some Loake on here so you're confident of your size in their lasts. Another optin is to measure up your foot and ask Herring their advice on sizing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.