1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

2. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

It is that. It's also very long, so for those who just want the best bits I came across this the other day:

http://crasstalk.com/2013/03/the-20...-buzz-bissingers-insane-leather-fetish-essay/

I completely empathise with the idea of dressing better than badly fitted suits, baggy shirts and lousy shoes, isn't that why we come to this site? But when you're just label-whoring Gucci leather goods and you believe that you're being complimented when people tell you you're dressing like Bon Jovi, you've probably gone too far in trying to use clothing as a statement about who you are. Pretty clear that Buzz is in the mmidst of having a breakdown of some kind (I believe he has gone into rehab after writing that article).

3. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Girl at work complimented my shoes then said there should be an OH&S warning about the glare.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

That sure as hell beats the OH&S warning I once got for wearing leather soled shoes. The chap then pointed to a pair of clunky, square toed rubber pair on someone else as an example of "more suitable footwear". This was an office environment not a building site or farmyard.

Suffice to say I left the role shortly after this incident.

Well done TBM.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  5. lennier

lennier Senior member

Nice work!

I got a 'you're looking dapper today' from the very cute waitress at my regular CBD cafe, so I was happy :) I might just imagine a wink as well, come to think of it.

6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Completely agree with you - what else could you have done?!!

7. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Good to see the younger generation of women stringing impressionable young men along with the odd compliment.

Times haven't changed.

8. lennier

lennier Senior member

If only this were true.:)

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

lol.

Young at heart, then.

10. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Haha I read this the other day and was simultaneously disgusted, intrigued and confused. I couldn't work out whether the article was admitting he had a problem, or about rub-in-your-face type wealth and frankly I'm not sure he knew either.

I hope my affinity with clothing never gets to the point that I write a self indulgent article with a sentence beginning like this:

"I suddenly felt an erection in those pants..."

Terrifying.

11. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

This jacket didn't get enough love. It's fantastic!

12. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Damn shirt looks better on GN than myself.

Maybe I should paint myself brown.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  13. DartagnanRed

Would any of you Aussie blokes be interested in my pair of Carmina Austerity Brogues in snuff suede. They're a 10.5UK, on the Rain last and come with beautiful lasted shoe trees. Here's a pic of them:
    [​IMG]
    They're in great condition and were an MTO project from Epaulet. Easily the best shoes I own. The only reason I'm looking to offload them is I am now a full time undergrad student and don't get enough opportunities to wear them. I find it difficult to pull off austerity brogues in lectures when everyone else is in thongs and singlets. I'd be looking for about $350 plus postage or pickup if you're in Sydney. PM me if anyone's interested or has questions.

14. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

WTF DR!?

That far out weighs anything i've ever purchased.

Where are you going? Thailand? You don't need cash! Keep these shoes. They freaking rock! Frothing like a psycho right now.

If they fit well, then you don't need to offload them. They'll last you years!

WTF!

[​IMG]

You don't buy something like a pair of Carminas that fit perfectly, decide you aren't going to wear them over the next 12 months, and then sell them. You just don't wear them very much for the 12 months. That's it, that's the end of the story.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  15. DartagnanRed

Haha yeah I kind of agree, but I think I'd prefer to trade them in for some shoes that I can get away with at uni (been eyeing various pairs of wingtip boots for a long time) and wear a bit more often. I'm not desperate to get rid of them. I also think that great shoes need to be worn, so I'd prefer someone who was going to wear the crap out of them picked them up.

16. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Guys,

When you buy a leather soled shoe is it okay to get a vibram coat? I've read it can effect the balance/wear of the shoe or is it a non issue?

I've also considered getting the soles changed to dainite - is there a good place to get this done in Sydney or would any cobbler do? is it expensive?

17. jmills

jmills Senior member

That's not another brand like Topy? Not again, noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

On a more serious note, I don't know if you can actually get dainite conversions. But it may be useful to know that there is a dainite version of Loake's Aldwych too (like Nabil's Hallams).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  18. joiji

joiji Senior member

It's fine. I'd encourage you to wear them before doing it though, as you might as well break the shoe in first.

19. EL84

EL84 Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with Drake's Fair Isle jumpers/vests?
    I'm in the market for one and was wondering how heavy the wool is.

I've got my Dad's old one my Mum made but it's a little too snug.

[​IMG]

Cheers.

20. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.