Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I think that $350 for an odd jacket is excellent value, if it fits well. Herringbone's jackets are quite well made and I've got four or five of them.

Depending on your personal preferences (and I don't want to turn you into someone who is obsessive about such details), you might want to check the lapel buttonhole on the Herringbone odd jackets because, in the past, some of the cotton jackets had "keyhole" lapel buttonholes, rather than straight cut buttonholes. Some people don't mind that at all, but I have a strong preference for straight cut lapel buttonholes.

Another option is to go into your local Polo Ralph Lauren store and try on some of their Polo made-in-Italy suits or jackets (which are made by Corneliani) and then see what you can find on eBay, as you can typically get new-with-tags (NWT) Polo clothing on eBay for 25-50% of what it retails for here.

2. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Gerry thanks for the kind words and im very glad that you liked the shirt! I had to read your post twice as I thought you were saying I sent you the wrong shirt!! We like to put all our products into a garment bag first to protect them in the post:)

Sold out most sizing now. Restocking some styles and getting popovers in very soon .. oh and ive added a blue dress shirt plain blue shirt for those that have been enquiring!

3. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

whoever was looking for white irish linen i noted that pjohnson has some back in stock

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Value is all in your perception. Many men (by which I mean the vast majority) would think that paying $250 for a pair of shoes is not good value, when they can buy shoes that do the same damn thing for $80 from the Myer sales. Because someone has told you that Loake shoes are good quality, you are now prepared to pay $250 for them and think you are ahead - but only because you value certain characteristics in your shoes (Goodyear welting, better quality leather), and perceive that as "better" than a pair of Indian made, glued sole shoes.

Other people don't have the same set of values for shoes or jackets or any number of things. For most people a jacket is just an extra layer to keep the cold out. They don't care about surgeon's cuffs or hand sewn buttonholes. The fact that you are prepared to pay a certain amount for these things is a reflection on you, not the article itself. Any given item may have a million values placed upon it by a million individuals (or one individual a million times), but it's still the same item.

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Just received both my WH Taylor poplin white shirt for work which is a slim fit, yes slim fit and my build is like a 'slender' open side flanker. On advice went for size larger with an 18 inch collar fit is very similar to H&K but with out the absurd price they now charge.

And my Owen and James OCBD arrived as well, can see I will get a fair bit of casual wear out of it and that it should soften up with repeated washings. Nice one Rob.

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Sounds like a good idea MS. If you do decide to look at Boglioli etc I am pretty sure you can find something on sale at yoox or farfetch within your price range and it will be better than something you could get here at similar price.

This was my original post with the links -
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/9950_50#post_5182308

and I got my most recent one here for under $300 delivered (after doing a search for promo code and finding a free delivery one) - http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/sale/men/boglioli/items.aspx

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

7. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

[​IMG] Don't worry, Rob - if you'd sent the wrong shirt, I wouldn't be posting here first.

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

On an entirely different topic, CNN, NBC, CBS and Fox have all called the election for Obama.

Even though it appears that Romney will win the popular vote, Obama is estimated as having 250 electoral college votes at present, as opposed to Romney's 206, with 270 EC votes needed to win the election.

The ABC's live election feed is here.

9. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

10. jmills

jmills Senior member

During his second term, maybe these dinosaurs spouting the legitimate rape line should take a sex education course... [​IMG]

11. drebin

drebin Well-Known Member

I went into the Canali store in Sydney today – a lot of nice jackets, ties, and shirts. I was looking for a new suit but I was just browsing. That didn't really seem to work too well on the sales people there.

They're friendly, I suppose, but a little pushy.

12. joiji

joiji Senior member

I think you'll find the women were asking for it. Dressing like prostitutes and having sex out of wedlock [/sarcasm]

In other news, took delivery of my first pair of shell cordovan shoes yesterday. Will be interesting to see how they break in, but first impressions are great.

13. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

That's just not funny. This thread should be above that type of "humour".

14. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

What are they?

15. joiji

joiji Senior member

Alden for J.Crew #8 chukkas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.