• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am trying a second hand P Johnson cotton jacket on tomorrow. If it fits I will take it. If not, I will walk over to Herringbone and try their two cotton jackets. If none of those are a go, I will try Sports Craft et al. I like the Boglioli jackets Pink Socks, but they are outside of my price range at this stage.

I think that $350 for an odd jacket is excellent value, if it fits well. Herringbone's jackets are quite well made and I've got four or five of them.

Depending on your personal preferences (and I don't want to turn you into someone who is obsessive about such details), you might want to check the lapel buttonhole on the Herringbone odd jackets because, in the past, some of the cotton jackets had "keyhole" lapel buttonholes, rather than straight cut buttonholes. Some people don't mind that at all, but I have a strong preference for straight cut lapel buttonholes.

Another option is to go into your local Polo Ralph Lauren store and try on some of their Polo made-in-Italy suits or jackets (which are made by Corneliani) and then see what you can find on eBay, as you can typically get new-with-tags (NWT) Polo clothing on eBay for 25-50% of what it retails for here.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I got my Owen and James red chambray shirt today. As I was opening the packaging, I looked in and thought to myself "I didn't order a white cotton shirt. ROB?!?!?!?". That's when I realised O&J send out their shirts in very nice cotton bags
shog[1].gif

In any case, this is a very well made shirt and I'm looking forward to putting this to good use over the coming months. I put a little more detail up on my blog: http://gezzaseyes.tumblr.com/post/35170937474/arrived-today-i-finally-got-around-to-ordering

The handwritten note was also a very nice touch.
fing02[1].gif
Great job, Rob and Cam!

If you haven't taken advantage of the sale, do consider it - I'm glad I did!

Gerry thanks for the kind words and im very glad that you liked the shirt! I had to read your post twice as I thought you were saying I sent you the wrong shirt!! We like to put all our products into a garment bag first to protect them in the post:)

Sold out most sizing now. Restocking some styles and getting popovers in very soon .. oh and ive added a blue dress shirt plain blue shirt for those that have been enquiring!

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=181818]Ethan’s writing is very influential. When something is written clearly and in a simple manner it can be convincing. Considering he owns his own shop I can see why he is telling us not to chase the bargain[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt][COLOR=181818]J[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][COLOR=181818]. I am sure he gets annoyed being constantly asked when the next Armoury sale is on. I can tell Rob is tired of me asking when the next O&J sale is on.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=181818]I can enjoy his interpretation of luxury and value. I had never considered value in the way he has. I had always considered value as the differential between the quality and the price paid for that quality. If the quality is exceptional, and the price is low, then in essence, you have found great value. However, his perspective is comes from a completely different place. Value is the extra you pay to get what is good – value is bought, not given.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=181818]I think both perspectives have their merits. In a pragmatic world a pragmatic approach is needed. You don’t buy clothes from Politix, because you think the construction, fabric and style is terrible quality – for the price paid. If that is not a measure of value, then what is? A few pages back when I was talking about Loake 1880s, someone said, “they are a great shoe for that price range” – this is value to me: quality at fair value.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=181818]I like your nonchalant attitude to clothing, an attitude I would like to adopt myself.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote:

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=181818]Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am trying a second hand P Johnson cotton jacket on tomorrow. If it fits I will take it. If not, I will walk over to Herringbone and try their two cotton jackets. If none of those are a go, I will try Sports Craft et al. I like the Boglioli jackets Pink Socks, but they are outside of my price range at this stage.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Value is all in your perception. Many men (by which I mean the vast majority) would think that paying $250 for a pair of shoes is not good value, when they can buy shoes that do the same damn thing for $80 from the Myer sales. Because someone has told you that Loake shoes are good quality, you are now prepared to pay $250 for them and think you are ahead - but only because you value certain characteristics in your shoes (Goodyear welting, better quality leather), and perceive that as "better" than a pair of Indian made, glued sole shoes.

Other people don't have the same set of values for shoes or jackets or any number of things. For most people a jacket is just an extra layer to keep the cold out. They don't care about surgeon's cuffs or hand sewn buttonholes. The fact that you are prepared to pay a certain amount for these things is a reflection on you, not the article itself. Any given item may have a million values placed upon it by a million individuals (or one individual a million times), but it's still the same item.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received both my WH Taylor poplin white shirt for work which is a slim fit, yes slim fit and my build is like a 'slender' open side flanker. On advice went for size larger with an 18 inch collar fit is very similar to H&K but with out the absurd price they now charge.

And my Owen and James OCBD arrived as well, can see I will get a fair bit of casual wear out of it and that it should soften up with repeated washings. Nice one Rob.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=181818]Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am trying a second hand P Johnson cotton jacket on tomorrow. If it fits I will take it. If not, I will walk over to Herringbone and try their two cotton jackets. If none of those are a go, I will try Sports Craft et al. I like the Boglioli jackets Pink Socks, but they are outside of my price range at this stage.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sounds like a good idea MS. If you do decide to look at Boglioli etc I am pretty sure you can find something on sale at yoox or farfetch within your price range and it will be better than something you could get here at similar price.

This was my original post with the links -
http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/9950_50#post_5182308

and I got my most recent one here for under $300 delivered (after doing a search for promo code and finding a free delivery one) - http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/sale/men/boglioli/items.aspx

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gerry thanks for the kind words and im very glad that you liked the shirt! I had to read your post twice as I thought you were saying I sent you the wrong shirt!! We like to put all our products into a garment bag first to protect them in the post:)

Sold out most sizing now. Restocking some styles and getting popovers in very soon .. oh and ive added a blue dress shirt plain blue shirt for those that have been enquiring!

smile.gif
Don't worry, Rob - if you'd sent the wrong shirt, I wouldn't be posting here first.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On an entirely different topic, CNN, NBC, CBS and Fox have all called the election for Obama.

Even though it appears that Romney will win the popular vote, Obama is estimated as having 250 electoral college votes at present, as opposed to Romney's 206, with 270 EC votes needed to win the election.

The ABC's live election feed is here.

jmills

Reaction score
During his second term, maybe these dinosaurs spouting the legitimate **** line should take a sex education course...
nest.gif

drebin

Reaction score
I went into the Canali store in Sydney today – a lot of nice jackets, ties, and shirts. I was looking for a new suit but I was just browsing. That didn't really seem to work too well on the sales people there.

They're friendly, I suppose, but a little pushy.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During his second term, maybe these dinosaurs spouting the legitimate **** line should take a sex education course...
nest.gif

I think you'll find the women were asking for it. Dressing like prostitutes and ********** out of wedlock [/sarcasm]

In other news, took delivery of my first pair of shell cordovan shoes yesterday. Will be interesting to see how they break in, but first impressions are great.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you'll find the women were asking for it. Dressing like prostitutes and ********** out of wedlock [/sarcasm]

In other news, took delivery of my first pair of shell cordovan shoes yesterday. Will be interesting to see how they break in, but first impressions are great.
What are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads