1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Nice tie Gerry....:)

I'm astonished there is no Canberra one.... Jokes

I might upload one next week when I'm back at work. I assume you can enter more than one or not?

2. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

You and me both...oh wait. Nevermind . February clothing budget - spend. Onwards in March! (March to March?)

3. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

I must say, being back in Sydney I hit up ryan's bar last week in the CBD and realised that this is a city of very very beautiful women....

4. Gilmour

Gilmour Senior member

Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley

That's quite a nice looking watch, though it is on the bulky side of course being a pro-diver style. I don't know if that might be an issue for you?
    I wondering if what the Prince of Paisley means is the watch is to thick and not the width being a problem is what he means by to bulky ??

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

It looks as though you can upload more than one shot to the Mr Porter site, as I noticed that Christian Kimber has a couple of shots.

I have no idea about the uploading process, though - do you do it yourself, or is it selected by someone else, or by crowd acclamation?

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

What are the belt prices like? Comparable to ordering OL?

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I stumbled upon this article from the New York Times magazine the other day, and thought it worth posting a link here:

The Circus of Fashion

It's about the rise of the fashion blogger and how more and more people are "peacocking" around outside fashion shows, particularly during the big fashion weeks.

Whilst the article is primarily about women, it really reminded me of the ridiculous outfits that we see people wearing during Pitti Uomo - in essence, they are deliberately donning costumes so as to attract attention and (hopefully) be photographed. Unfortunately, however, there are people out there who see those photos posted and reposted on Tumblr and who then adopt those looks for themselves.

Apparently, the article has created a bit of a stir online, with some people supporting the views put forward in the article (there are too many ridiculously-dressed fops swanning around etc etc) and others panning the article (the democratisation of fashion, rise of street style, etc etc).

8. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I entered three and one got picked. What you need to do is to tag your instagram photos with #MRPORTERGS and #CANBERRA or #BRISBANE or whatever city you're from. I just went back to some of my old photos on Instagram and added the tags in a comment.

9. Gerry Nelson

It's not an automatic load - somebody actually selects them. I entered three and one got picked.

This dude (from Melbourne) has 224 votes so far:
    [​IMG]

Even the guy in the Oh My Goth t-shirt has 26 votes [​IMG]

10. Romp

Romp Senior member

agreed
    damn i did this on like 10 pictures today and zero been picked yet... Gerry is next-level... how long did it take?

11. Gerry Nelson

One got picked up in about 20 minutes or so. I reckon it's also the time difference, Rob. It's probably someone over in the UK who's doing it so expect to see yours up later today - don't fret.

12. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Thanks for the lead JM! Now, what to do with that black floppy felt hat I purchased : )

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  13. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Mr Nelson you most certainly defied the firmly held belief of Nice Guys Finish Last....

14. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Just a quick question -

Is something like a 70% cashmere, 30% silk tie from Howard Yount going to be as good quality as a 100% silk? What characteristics does the cashmere bring?

And what about a 100% wool, or 90% wool, 10% silk tie, steer clear or? I'm guessing more casual if it's wool?

15. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Great article JM, I found it very interesting, particularly against the backdrop of guys trying really hard to peacock their way onto mr porter. ..

16. fxh

fxh Senior member

[​IMG]

17. Gerry Nelson

18. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think your link is buggered Gez

19. Romp

Romp Senior member

Hats off to Gerry ... took me all day to get on
    hey .. whatever it takes haha!