• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a little over the allure of MTM and bespoke. Bombed out bad on Zegna Su Misura. Got into P Johnson and Charles Nakhle for a few years. Had a few pieces made with Kazuna MTM...

Now if it fits reasonably well OTR, I’m happy. Such is life... Different seasons; different priorities.

Probably doesn’t help that I’m no longer working out of Sydney conservative business dress.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a little over the allure of MTM and bespoke. Bombed out bad on Zegna Su Misura. Got into P Johnson and Charles Nakhle for a few years. Had a few pieces made with Kazuna MTM...

Now if it fits reasonably well OTR, I’m happy. Such is life... Different seasons; different priorities.

Probably doesn’t help that I’m no longer working out of Sydney conservative business dress.
unfortunately I have tried a few suits and they have never felt right on me. And for a sartorial wasteland of Perth I have been spoilt with a reasonably priced bespoke tailor that will cut me a nice roman styled suit. I use them for dancing so off the rack usually doesn’t fit the bill for me

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you find Charles Nakhle’s work, @ColdEyedPugilist ?
Good. Fused collars and cuffs. But good, sturdy shirts. Well made, well fitting and the fabrics were excellent (Sic Tess, Alumo). Never experimented with his soft, non fused collars so I can’t speak about them.

npvpositive

Reaction score

Sounds surprisingly similar to my "journey". Started out with MTM from Zegna, Canali, etc. Tried Adamo for true bespoke before he retired. Then back to MTM with P Johnson. Had shirts made by Nakhle, P Johnson, etc. Migrated up the chain to Ascot Chang and B&Tailor when I was earning a bit more cash.

I find myself wearing suits less and less often now, and my default work wardrobe has become a nice pair of jeans/slacks and shirt, add a jacket if I want to look a bit smarter. I've enjoyed trying MTM/bespoke slacks and sports jackets from Zing Chen and Calder. When it comes to shirts I'm generally happy with OTR these days . . . for example, Turnbull & Asser on sale.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DevilsOwn

Reaction score
Yeah I pretty much look first for an OTR that will fit me with adjustments snd is what I'm looking for, and then go MTM/custom (not bespoke bc I cant see it being worth it exceot for special purchases and the distinction between mtm and custom basically being custom as an inbetween in service) if I can't find anything (for example an affordable db or dinner suit of a particular style).

DevilsOwn

Reaction score
Also on someone believing peter jackson suits to be half canvassed I did the pinch test and it seems its actually fully canvassed which would be a pleasant surprise if I'm correct as I assumed it would be half as well.

Contango

Reaction score
Good. Fused collars and cuffs. But good, sturdy shirts. Well made, well fitting and the fabrics were excellent (Sic Tess, Alumo). Never experimented with his soft, non fused collars so I can’t speak about them.
I've got a shirt from him and it's decent. Not mind blowing, but worth the price.
Thanks fellas, fit is what I need most at this point, just find it too hard with OTR.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas, fit is what I need most at this point, just find it too hard with OTR.
Good thing with Charles is that you have a lot of say in the process. Also, he’s one of the last true bespoke shirt makers around. Period. Just him and an assistant or two cutting and finishing shirts in the workroom behind the store. Fascinating to watch and worth a visit for sure.

DevilsOwn

Reaction score
At a guess I'd assume I just made a mistake but maybe someone woth the resources could look imto this? EDIT this was part of my post above and hadnt reloaded and seen other comments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads