• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need more scarves. Anyone know when Bucks/Am Tailors/anywhere else good goes on sale?

Mr Porter has some Johnston's cashmere scarves at pretty good prices. If you hunt around you might find others selling them too.

conqueror

Reaction score
i have three winter scarves: barbour (x2) and kapital. the former in particular is amazing for the price.

Reaction score
In Melbourne a few days. Anyone recommend new spots for sartorial indulgence? Oh, I love english shoes and tailoring.

On a whim a friend mentioned Masons, any good?

Sydney next week, of which I'm much more familiar. All thoughts welcome!

schwarza

Reaction score
In Melbourne a few days. Anyone recommend new spots for sartorial indulgence? Oh, I love english shoes and tailoring.

I'd strongly recommend giving both Calder Sartoria, P. Johnson and Christian Kimber a visit (all Australian menswear brands who focus on tailoring but also offer RTW pieces too.) McCloud shoes for a decent footwear selection. Perhaps Harrolds if you're interested in Tom Ford.

Mason's have a good selection too. Some of their staff are very knowledgeable.

Reaction score
I'd strongly recommend giving both Calder Sartoria, P. Johnson and Christian Kimber a visit (all Australian menswear brands who focus on tailoring but also offer RTW pieces too.) McCloud shoes for a decent footwear selection. Perhaps Harrolds if you're interested in Tom Ford.

Mason's have a good selection too. Some of their staff are very knowledgeable.
I'll be sure to call in at all mentioned this afternoon. Do any of these fine makers offer bespoke?

McCloud Shoes - I looked them up, thank you. Many laudable makers, unfortunately only one English manufacturer. Pity.

Do American Tailors offer made to measure or bespoke? I'll be back here a few times over the course of the next year.

schwarza

Reaction score
I'll be sure to call in at all mentioned this afternoon. Do any of these fine makers offer bespoke?

McCloud Shoes - I looked them up, thank you. Many laudable makers, unfortunately only one English manufacturer. Pity.

Do American Tailors offer made to measure or bespoke? I'll be back here a few times over the course of the next year.

I don't believe any of them offer bespoke, all MTM and RTW as far as I know.

I'd also suggest Double Monk in Fitzroy for shoes. I somehow omitted them from my original answer.

As for your question regarding American Tailors, I'm not too sure as I've never visited them. Hopefully someone else can provide an answer.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

American tailors offer their version of bespoke - that is not quite British. Certainly do more MTM. I have had pieces made 15-20 years ago, still the same people, and I was not terrible happy with fit or construction. (And i’m not nearly as fussy as many).

Sarti Bespoke in South Melbourne are rather good, have been a client of Celia since Coate and Tails (@ DJs).

AT do sell C&J shoes, however. Though I shop at Double Monk and very much recommend them. JL & EG and also C&J is they are your thing.

Charles Maimone is quite a good tailor, too. However, he has slowed down and is reducing hours.

fox81

Reaction score
would probably skip macleod and go to double monk.
trunk tailors have a nice fitout now, with a little bit of RTW stuff. have a chat about bespoke options if youre looking for someone in that space.
calder and kimber also endorsed.

not sure where youre from, but id still visit henry bucks and harrolds. they have some more progressive tailoring options like LBM (HB) and lardini (harrolds) on top of their conservative (HB) or designer (harrolds) lines.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sarti Bespoke in South Melbourne are rather good, have been a client of Celia since Coate and Tails (@ DJs).

If you're heading down to Sarti, you might as well head a bit further down to Azzarro. I'm not sure what he carries now, but I have bought discounted Brioni, Cantarelli and Canali from him in the past. I think his house-label jeans were made by Borrelli too. It's a warehouse, so you may have to knock or call.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads