• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you guy have so many moths inside your houses??

Jumpers go in a draw. Draw stays closed till winter. How are all these moths getting at them that we require bags and flowers and other weapons?

Its not that I have multitudes of moths but they are out there, rural’s do tend to have screens on windows and doors. I had a grey worsted wool suit from the 1950’s ruined by moths some years ago and since they I take precautions.

I have a couple of picnic rugs from the late 1940’s and 1950’s which have written on the label moth proof. And they have never been touched don’t know what process was used to moth proof them.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure whether I should post this article - it's interesting, in a frustrating, can't look away from a car crash kind of way:

"Is fashion modern? New MOMA curator discusses the most iconic clothing items, from the LBD to the hijab"

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...s-leather-new-york-curator-name-a7972371.html

The article makes some interesting - albeit very obvious - points about how wearing different clothing can mean that you are perceived differently (duh!) and about how it's now common for the ultra-rich to dress down in jeans and a hoodie, rather than wearing a tailored suit.

This bit, however, made me feel like banging my head on my desk:

"Our clothes are the interface between our soul and the world. They can function as filters, armor, amplifiers, and more. Through fashion, we can communicate many different states of mind, from allegiance to indifference, insecurity, availability, open-mindedness. From these lists of attributes and nouns, we can extrapolate how crucial fashion is our lives. Considering it vacuous means not understanding that in this day and age, even more than in the past, communicating has become the centre of our existence.

Moreover, the fashion industry is one of the most important players in the global markets, fundamental in any consideration about sustainability, labour practices, human rights, and more.

Not acknowledging the importance of fashion is almost delusional."

I really think that this person lives in a bubble. Sure, for some people, fashion and clothing is important and it plays a role in how they see themselves and how they want the world to see them.

For a lot of people, though - billions of people - clothes are simply something they wear while doing back-breaking, poorly-paid work. They're not trying to tell the world how they want to be viewed through their clothing - they are simply trying to survive.

JM I think its a case of Identity politics gone mad and its interesting that they use the word “fashion” which is cyclic and didn’t use the world style or taste in their verbiage drivel. However Identify is clearly linked to projected self image via clothing and the perception of that image by others.

Also me thinks that the author is suffering from an acute does of self importance. I think I’ll pass on the article as the dog doesn’t like me yelling abuse at the computer screen this early in the day.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha I think the fact he takes fashion so seriously is delusional. For the most of us here, it’s more a hobby we enjoy.

Decreased

Reaction score
haha I think the fact he takes fashion so seriously is delusional. For the most of us here, it’s more a hobby we enjoy.

There are some on SF who maybe take things to extremes, but this thread is more about food, travel, pricing and banter, which is what makes it so much more enjoyable than reading moronic articles that yell at me to care about fashion.

Styleternity

Reaction score
Too busy not being a dot-com squilionaire to read it, someone has to iron my shirt for tomorrow.

Mr. MOMA's analysis is absurdly reductive. For a start, if he looked outside the tech industry his hypothesis about dress-down millionaires certainly wouldn't hold up.

The whole thing has a certain unwholesome navel gazing quality about it - fashion is a leading industry in the fight for better universal human rights?! Armstrong, meet stretch.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Sydney, jetted up for the long weekend.

Luxire x Luxire x Converse
22199074_10212471231409819_1631329433_o.jpg

Linen x Cotton x Canvas

conqueror

Reaction score
i'm surprised no one really seems to sell OTR trousers similar to that here, or even higher rise in general without the legs being excessively wide. maybe in 5 years. i've started a new job and everything is either painted on/low-rise vs shapeless and baggy/high-rise. no middle ground.

Reaction score
I am looking for somewhere to get metal toe-taps attached to some shoes that I have recently bought and would like recommendations of a cobbler in Melbourne who can install them without risking damage to my C & J shoes. Additionally I also have a pair of suede brogues that are in need of TLC and I would also like recommendations of a cobbler in Melbourne who can help with this too.
I did search the forum but only found threads or posts from the previous decade and the info might not be up to date.

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure about that. There are many tourists and students from the PRC who are or come from families where $800 for a pair of shoes is as noticeable on the current account as a McChicken with cheese. Think 2 bedroom house in Edgecliff + a (new) Merc "to help Cheng focus on his studies". And whilst there are many wonderful things about China, shopping for Western luxury goods mostly sucks outside a few spots (AFAIK). I remember Chengdu where Uniqlo was as good as it got. If you're in Sydney for Christmas or to visit Wei who's wrapping up the BA then you might as well pick a couple pairs after lunch. This may be why DM didn't bother price matching - demand is strong.
Having been to Double Monk (in Melbourne) multiple times one thing I have noticed is there are no tuhao Chinese in the store, I don't think the shoes they stock are gaudy enough. I tend to see the tuhao in Collins street camped outside the Gucci store or in Lousia which stocks more Italian fashion brands. Even when I was in university I found it hard to convince my Chinese friends that the shoes from Northampton were anything worthy, my friends were far more interested in sneakers from Sneakerboy or gaudily decorated Italian designer shoes. I guess they are more recognisably expensive to their peers out on the street.

The J

Reaction score
Having been to Double Monk (in Melbourne) multiple times one thing I have noticed is there are no tuhao Chinese in the store, I don't think the shoes they stock are gaudy enough. I tend to see the tuhao in Collins street camped outside the Gucci store or in Lousia which stocks more Italian fashion brands. Even when I was in university I found it hard to convince my Chinese friends that the shoes from Northampton were anything worthy, my friends were far more interested in sneakers from Sneakerboy or gaudily decorated Italian designer shoes. I guess they are more recognisably expensive to their peers out on the street.

+1. Most of them prefer Harrods over any of these English made shoes and made in naples suit over their Thom Browne, Givenchy etc, from personal experience from university as well. Been to DM a couple of times but have never seen a single one of them lurking around.

The J

Reaction score
i'm surprised no one really seems to sell OTR trousers similar to that here, or even higher rise in general without the legs being excessively wide. maybe in 5 years. i've started a new job and everything is either painted on/low-rise vs shapeless and baggy/high-rise. no middle ground.

Probably have seen a few in Masons but of course they're not the cheapest available option out there. Isaia, Cornelliani, Brunello Cuccinelli.. but I've never tried them on, so can't comment on the rise. But for the price of that, I'd rather go mtm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads