• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dhl. $58 import duty, $88 gov charges, $22 disbursement fee, $138 gst

Ouch.

Strange to see $138 GST and $88 government charges - what are the "government charges"?

Whenever I've had things delivered via a national postal service, handed over to Aust Post for the Australian leg, I haven't had to pay any additional fees or charges (touch wood!).

However, on the odd occasion I've had things delivered via a courier company, where the seller hadn't already charged applicable taxes, I've been hit with GST plus a "processing fee".

boot_owl

Reaction score
Ouch.

Strange to see $138 GST and $88 government charges - what are the "government charges"?

Whenever I've had things delivered via a national postal service, handed over to Aust Post for the Australian leg, I haven't had to pay any additional fees or charges (touch wood!).

However, on the odd occasion I've had things delivered via a courier company, where the seller hadn't already charged applicable taxes, I've been hit with GST plus a "processing fee".
Government has a flat $88 fee whenever customs comes up, it’s very frustrating

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1036158D-DAEC-4640-A2B9-1D77177E709E.jpeg
Starts Saturday

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads-up for anyone looking for wooden suit/jacket hangers - Aldi has them as part of today's special buys:

There are also trouser hangers and shirt hangers - the shirt hangers come in a pack of five, but are a bit thin for my liking. The suit hangers, though, are wide and nicely rounded and $4 each.

Markodevil

Reaction score
You can try their live chat service and see if any stores have it in stock. Online stock is different to what’s in stores so might still be a few available.

To be honest with amount of sales MJ Bale has I wouldn’t pay more than $250 for a Classics suit as they regularly run extra 40% off sales at their outlets and can usually find a large selection there. I’m a 38 as well and always find a decent selection at the Perth DFO (currently not so much due to Boxing Day sales but I’m certain they’ll have new stock in pretty soon).

Another option is Spier & McKay. I’ve just gotten my first suit from them. They still have their sale running and have some good suits for around the $350 mark. Quality is similar, general consensus is S&M is better as well.
Did you get a slim or contemporary fit on the S&M? I am having some difficulty finding what the difference is between the cuts.

TS2404

Reaction score
Does anybody have any recommendations for a dry cleaner in Melbourne who can be trusted with a suede jacket? Thanks

NikG

Reaction score
Did you get a slim or contemporary fit on the S&M? I am having some difficulty finding what the difference is between the cuts.
I got Slim, which equates to about a Slim (Drop 8) in MJ Bale sizing. Contemporary is about same as Regular (Drop 7) in MJ Bale, but this is only what I've read from another member as haven't tried Contemporary yet.

So depending what fits you best at MJ Bale from those that's what I'd go with. Personally, both fit well for me so I just got the suit that I liked most regardless of the cut and hoped for the best. Unless you have a strange body type I think you'll be fine.

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim - More fitting all round in the body
Contemporary - More drape in the chest, not so fitted in the waist

Though I’d be considered slim, I prefer Contemporary unless the cloth is too soft (eg Guabello Hopsack), and has no shape without the strong waist suppression you get in Slim.

Speaking of which, I have a navy SM Guabello Hopsack sport jacket in Contemporary, which doesn’t fit me for this exact reason, and I’m looking to sell it. Size is 38S. The only thing I’ve done is to slightly shorten the sleeves, but they can be lengthened again if need be, given that there’s some extra fabric, and the buttons are non functional. Worn it out only once. Literally. Beautiful fabric and make, so it’s a waste sitting idle in my wardrobe. PM me if interested!

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone in Sydney know where I can try on a Barbour. Will order online but want to try a couple of styles on to determine fit and how they look. Will be in Sydney for a week. thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads