• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's only one place I want to eat in Tokyo.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Imperial Hotel is very nice indeed - my wife used to stay there frequently for work, as her company's office was very near. However, she was too exhausted to take advantage of the food options around the area and would end up getting room service!

We do, however, have a good stock of Imperial Hotel bathrobes and towels... ?
range, not really gredients are, or as

By the way, on the topic of Japanese food, I can highly recommend a Japanese manga (comic) called "Oishinbo". Some volumes are available in translation and it's both entertaining and very informative:

When I saw the VIZ link I wondered what tips it would have on eating in Japan. From Finbar Saunders? Fnar Fnaar.

mercury

Reaction score
ABC ran a story about the town of Clunes in Victoria.

There's a bespoke shoemaker there, Duncan McHarg, who does everything by hand (not even a sewing machine for the stitching).

Link to the segment for anyone interested:

His Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/duncanmchargbespokeshoemaker/

There's also some ladies in the town making woolen socks. Each pair takes a hour and 15mins to make.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duncan's posts here on SF are well worth looking up. Unfortunately (as per Facebook, IIRC) he has had to stop making shoes this year for personal reasons.

I'm pretty sure that @fxh mentioned Duncan, and the Lost Trades Fair that was held somewhere in rural Victoria in early 2019. It sounded very interesting and it's a pity that he has to shut up shop for personal reasons. I just hope that he's OK financially.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am fond of OUT - it’s a very cool space but feels possibly more Australian (it’s owners are) Japanese.

Two places I love are The Blind Donkey in Kanda and Eatrip in Harajuku. Their respective owners both trained at Chez Panisse and the food is a broadly similar kind of organic Japanese/French thing. Donkey is bustling, whereas Eatrip is quieter but both are very friendly (which high-end kaiseki might well not be).

Both will be busy but it shouldn’t be too hard to get a solo reservation at the dining bar, watching the kitchen in action. Hasegawa-san at Donkey speaks good English and will make you feel at home.

Memo

Reaction score
Guys, my cousin is selling a pair of Enzo Bonafe, and I thought I’d help him out by posting here - do have a look if it is of interest. It’s a good bargain.

TS2404

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for the best place in Melbourne to get some shoes resoled? Thanks

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a heap everybody, for your input into my proposed Tokyo culinary adventurism.

In the end, it turned out that a very good friend of mine is in Tokyo with his wife right now. We have arranged to meet up for dinner, and Stavros is going to take care of venue selection and booking. Probably somewhere in or near Roppongi, as that's where we are all staying.

I've had to cancel the China leg of my itinerary (for obvious reasons), so I'm now going to stay in Osaka/Kyoto for a few days after my week's skiing in Nozawa Onsen. Any recommendations for food while in Osaka are gratefully accepted, and yes, I hear what you are all saying about kaiseki - maybe it will just be lost on me. Like taking someone who never listens to classical music to a concert of the late Beethoven string quartets.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And while we're on the subject of music: Melbourne residents might be interested in the 3MBS Beethoven Marathon on Sunday 23rd February. My orchestra (Corpus Medicorum) is finishing up the marathon with a performance of the Fifth. Dadada dum.....dadada dum...... That one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads