• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cannot recommend highly enough Santa Maria Novella's shaving cream. Picked some up in Florence in July. Great smell and weight (if that makes sense). Plus despite regular use have hardly made a dint in it. There are a few places you can get SMN in Melbourne, including here - http://www.robinsonman.com/

Has anyone visited Robinsons? Such a great brand range and close to my house - cannot quite believe I missed them. I must go soon

Good suggestion. SMN is stocked by Mensbiz, and also carried by Peony, in Auburn.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First the RLWC now the Ashes. Never really enjoy the cricket but in England’s case I’ll make an exception.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

da(g)dstyle

Reaction score

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peony has great customer service but isn't open every day.
They have had great sales there occasionally too. I expanded my collection mightily at a couple of Jill's sales, including picking up new bottles of Annick Goutal and Miller Harris frags for $10.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, is there a local (Melbourne) alternative to a Filson briefcase that is priced lower and readily available by Christmas? Iconic has them and will deliver in time, but my budget only goes to about $250. Doesn't need to be Filson quality, just to be similar style and reasonably well put together.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
Ditto California. I was looking at the republic of Florence bags on iconic and was going to ask if anyone had any experience.

I don’t have the need or budget for a Filaon- just need a bag to carry laptop and few small things to and from work.

Sharpe

Reaction score
Gents, is there a local (Melbourne) alternative to a Filson briefcase that is priced lower and readily available by Christmas? Iconic has them and will deliver in time, but my budget only goes to about $250. Doesn't need to be Filson quality, just to be similar style and reasonably well put together.

I've seen several similar bags around - certainly not Filson quality but in the style. I specifically remember seeing bags in Fossil and thinking they've ripped off the Filson bags. Can't remember how much they were though.

I've got a large filson briefcase and they're built like tanks. I'd like to get a smaller one though - the big one is a touch too large and also way too heavy for day to day carrying. It's like the same weight as the stuff I put in it...

zjchen11

Reaction score
Hi all

Clearing my wardrobe and looking to sell some shoes off.

Some time ago back in Malaysia, I decided that I didn’t want to work in a day job and instead I wanted to sell men items. I found a manufacturer in Bandung, Indonesia that made good year welted shoes and it looked like they have a good history. They call themselves Fortuna but also produce under Sri Wijaya and sell it in Japan. Anyways I bought some samples and then found myself having to suddenly move back to Melbourne with these shoes.

This pair is a brown double monk in UK9. Its probably more of a UK8.5. It’s good year welted. Never worn before.

I paid 2.5 million IDR which is about 240aud and quite a hefty postage fee. So looking to sell it for AUD 200.

Happy to post if not in Melbourne for another AUD 15 or otherwise happy to drop it off in a central spot if you are in Melbourne.

I also have a pair of black oxfords and black quarter brogue oxfords which I will post later here if no one objects.

F553B7F6-EF93-4666-AB7D-B1531635242C.jpeg

D3F95B86-1D66-475E-AAE4-08FCC3A09F59.jpeg

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents. I recently picked up a couple of Robert Talbott shirts in an op shop but realised when I got home that the degree of fraying was too much for them to be usable. I've binned them, but decided to harvest the buttons first. There are two sets, both mother-of-pearl. One is thick buttons for a barrel-cuffed shirt, with spares. The other is thinner buttons for a BD shirt, also with spares. If anyone wants these, PM me and I'll send them in the post. Otherwise they'll go to an op shop.

Epicure

Reaction score
Gents. I recently picked up a couple of Robert Talbott shirts in an op shop but realised when I got home that the degree of fraying was too much for them to be usable. I've binned them, but decided to harvest the buttons first. There are two sets, both mother-of-pearl. One is thick buttons for a barrel-cuffed shirt, with spares. The other is thinner buttons for a BD shirt, also with spares. If anyone wants these, PM me and I'll send them in the post. Otherwise they'll go to an op shop.

Harvest the buttons...what a great way to put it. I need to make sure I do that with any dead shirts. But for use British, shirts do not die - it is just foxing.

At the time of purchasing a shirt, it isn't a bad idea to buy a second if you really like it. Typically the collars and cuffs wear out long before the body and sleeves. Up until that point, wear can be rotated between the two. Once worn out, you can sacrifice the shirt with the most collar and cuff wear, using the fabric from the body to create new collars and cuffs for the other shirt. Of course, that still leaves one set of buttons to harvest. If you indulge the luxury of bespoke shirts, I would posit there would be enough fabric left over after tailoring to replace the collars and cuffs without sacrificing a shirt.

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
Harvest the buttons...what a great way to put it. I need to make sure I do that with any dead shirts. But for use British, shirts do not die - it is just foxing.

Foxing - heh heh - I have a different understanding of the term thanks to Prentiss/Mccabe in Aboslute Power

BTW that show (including the radio episodes) was hilarious. Quite applicable in these times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads