• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any advice on sourcing really good-quality kitchen knives in Osaka/Kyoto?

I don't know whether it's actually possible to obtain knives made from real Damascus steel, but that would be the ideal.

Any advice appreciated. I love cooking and have for many years used Wüsthof Dreizack knives, but I believe that Japanese knives are next-level.

I know I'm driving you off the road a little here but there are some really great Australian knife-makers floating around and it looks like they're getting more mainstream support:
https://www.goodfood.com.au/good-li...ralian-handmade-kitchen-knife-20170824-gy3iec
If you are interested, I might be able to do some digging for you through old contacts.

Regarding "Damascus" steel (or pattern-welded steel), there are quite a few makers that produce some great material, especially in the USA (Chad Nichols, Devin Thomas etc).

Put the knife-maker with the Damascus steel pattern that you like and you'll get something unique.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan to stop by Kanata when we head to Tokyo early next month. Is there a straightforward buying guide anywhere? Cost, functionality, quality etc? Information overload from a google search.,

A lot of it depends upon yourself - what you cook, which hand you use, your own preferences and so on.

There is a large number of different knife types that you can get, probably 20 or more, ranging from cleavers to cut through bone, to small knives used to peel vegetables.

A lot of people probably only need one or two knives, such as a gyuto and a santoku. If you slice fish, you may also want a yanagiba.

Gyuto and santoku look fairly similar, but gyuto is larger and the two knives have different angles and different qualities.

My Japanese mother-in-law only has three knives that she uses daily - gyuto, santoku and nakiri. The latter has a square tip and is used for cutting vegetables. Despite its size, she also uses the nakiri for peeling vegetables, which I find quite amazing, but it's the result of decades of practice, I suppose.

With regard to price, you should be able to get really decent knives for $150 or so. Really, a lot of what non-Japanese people pay for in Japanese knives is appearance, rather than substance (rather like clothing), particularly the texturing/patterning on the blade, the material of the handle and so on. I still use a santoku that I bought for about $100 almost 20 years ago.

I prefer a Japanese-style, rounded handle but some people prefer the European-style shaped handle with the pins through it. You can usually find both handle types but the Japanese rounded handle will be more common.

See about getting a pair of kitchen scissors while you're there. Do be aware that they're not stainless steel and so the blades can show rust spots, but they will be the sharpest pair of kitchen scissors you'll have ever seen.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m a troglodyte but the home cook only needs four good blades max, a solid bread knife, carving knife, a cooks knife either 18 or 21cm and a paring knife. With practice a good cooks knife you can do anything in the kitchen.

I use one knife most of the time my Global 18cm and while I’ve thought about getting one made, I’m yet to take the plunge. I’ve heard good things about these people http://www.mothermountainforge.com/

As @Journeyman said the most important thing is deciding what your going to use it for, and the grip has to feel comfortable. Most importantly keep it sharp so that means investing in a good wet stone and learning how to use it.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will take a while to be made, but you might like to try Norman Cahn Leatherworks on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/NormCahnLeatherworks?ref=profile_shopicon.
He pretty much sticks to Horween Leathers and he isn't cheap, but his work is sublime. There are lots of makers of fine leather goods on Etsy - I've bought a few items from different vendors there in Shell Cordovan and the craftsmanship is the best I've seen.
Interesting option but Mrs GF is a physical hunter gatherer as opposed to a virtual hunter gatherer.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In regards to knives, is there a go too brand for the best value Japanese knives that hits the perfect pricepoint to performance ratio?

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m a troglodyte but the home cook only needs four good blades max, a solid bread knife, carving knife, a cooks knife either 18 or 21cm and a paring knife. With practice and a good cooks knife you can do anything in the kitchen.

I use one knife most of the time my Global 18cm and while I’ve thought about getting one made, I’m yet to take the plunge. I’ve heard good things about these people http://www.mothermountainforge.com/

As @Journeyman said the most important thing is deciding what your going to use it for, and the grip has to feel comfortable. Most importantly keep it sharp so that means investing in a good wet stone and learning how to use it.

Good pick up on Mother Mountain, they look good. That Good Food link had the knife-makers' details in the text too.

I've got Wüsthof Ikon knives and similar to you, I only use a large and small Chef's knife and a utility knife most of the time.

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of it depends upon yourself - what you cook, which hand you use, your own preferences and so on.

There is a large number of different knife types that you can get, probably 20 or more, ranging from cleavers to cut through bone, to small knives used to peel vegetables.

A lot of people probably only need one or two knives, such as a gyuto and a santoku. If you slice fish, you may also want a yanagiba.

Gyuto and santoku look fairly similar, but gyuto is larger and the two knives have different angles and different qualities.

My Japanese mother-in-law only has three knives that she uses daily - gyuto, santoku and nakiri. The latter has a square tip and is used for cutting vegetables. Despite its size, she also uses the nakiri for peeling vegetables, which I find quite amazing, but it's the result of decades of practice, I suppose.

With regard to price, you should be able to get really decent knives for $150 or so. Really, a lot of what non-Japanese people pay for in Japanese knives is appearance, rather than substance (rather like clothing), particularly the texturing/patterning on the blade, the material of the handle and so on. I still use a santoku that I bought for about $100 almost 20 years ago.

I prefer a Japanese-style, rounded handle but some people prefer the European-style shaped handle with the pins through it. You can usually find both handle types but the Japanese rounded handle will be more common.

See about getting a pair of kitchen scissors while you're there. Do be aware that they're not stainless steel and so the blades can show rust spots, but they will be the sharpest pair of kitchen scissors you'll have ever seen.
Many thanks for this advice. I have Global and Wustof chef’s knives and prefer the balance of the Global, although it is a touch too light. I only really use gyuto and santoku in the kitchen but the scissors also sound like a good idea. I also need to pick up a flattening stone, accidentally dropped mine a few weeks ago

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also need to pick up a flattening stone, accidentally dropped mine a few weeks ago

A sharpening stone (aka whetstone)?

Or a stone for flattening/evening out your whetstone?

In either case, you'll be able to plenty of either when you visit Kappabashi.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to Old Canberra Inn this afternoon to see The Mother Truckers, a friend plays keyboards in the band, and on the bill were The Detonators talk about kick arse roots R’nR. Melbourne bands always have had better showmen than Sydney, drank beer came home cooked pizza and drinking more, then Paul Kelly from the OH Forecourt on the ABC. Tomorrow the gym.

Vale Malcolm Young who has gone West only 64.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guessing my Wiltshire stay sharp just don’t cut it?
My first live in defaco girl friend’s father designed it. Still have the scar to prove it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads