• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Askandy

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what a bunch of friggin lowlives. The ISP for not renewing it and register.com for snatching it up and holding it for ransom.

Yahoo kinda sorta overcharges for the two sites I host with them but I've been down only an hour over the past year...

Let's light the torches, grab the pitchforks and head on over to register.com.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Yo, Register-boy.... you wanna wakeup wit dat monitor all torn apart in your bed?"

The difference between register.com and a catfish - one is a bottom-feeding, scum-sucking scavenger....

...the other is good with hush puppies and a cold beer.

BjornH

Reaction score
You techies out there can work around the situation by adding the following line to your 'hosts' file of your workstation: 207.155.252.47 www.askandyaboutclothes.com
This works, you just have to find your hosts file, usually located under your systemfolder (c:windows or c:winnt) in folder driversetchosts. Use Notepad to edit it. Notice that the file does not have an ending (like .txt) so notepad won't see it unless you tell it to look for all files. Alternatively you can so a search on your hard drive to find it. Important: Be sure to erase the line from the hosts file as soon as you don't need it, otherwise you won't end up on the right server if/when Andy (hopefully) moves it. Most of the time, the hosts file is plain evil but it can be a lifesaver in situations like this. BH

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask Andy seems to be back up, sort of.

The site seemed to be down more than up even before this domain name debacle.

Maybe Andy should just merge himself into the Style Forum.
Pretty much the same group of folks on both forums. Would save the cross posting.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
I still can't get into the site, but here's the official line (excuse) and it has nothing to do with Janet Jackson's breast:

I finally got in touch with both register.com and XO. Register.com updated their servers and most of XO accounts connected with Register.com went down.

The site should be up 24 to 72 hours from some unknown time yesterday. Isn't that fabulous customer service.

I can't get TimelessRider's suggestion to work, but that's showing up my lack of computer literacy. XO said in emergencies the site could be found by adding .cnchost.com to the URL, but that's not working either (I've tried deleting and not the .com after clothes).

Do you think the excuse makes any sense? Should I change both registration and host server? XO says they have had less trouble with Register.com than other registration companies.

On top of all this, I'm at our second home in Palm Desert, CA where I have a little Gateway computer that hardly ever works normally. Today it took me about 1 hour to get online.
Now there is a lawsuit.

The only redeming social value is that I did get to the local Steinmart store and purchased a pair of Alan Flusser dress trousers for only $29.

I really appreciate the support.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Maybe Andy should just merge himself into the Style Forum.
Pretty much the same group of folks on both forums.  Would save the cross posting.
I would hate to see that. With all due respect to this forum, which I enjoy, I find the AskAndy forum to fill a different (more mature?) niche. I realize that's a generalization, but there is a difference.

Long live the Ask Andy forum.

FCS

Reaction score
Probably it's just me, but I didn't seem to find any references to styleforum on google. I did came across Andy's forum from google, however, and that's how I found it at the first place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads