Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. xM.

xM. Senior member

If you're looking for that style check out the Kio Yamato KP086, that's what I wear. No rivets, but very good quality acetate.
    I just looked them up and they seem a little rounder, more pronounced. I've got an oval shaped face that, in spite of my big head, is pretty slender, so I'm not sure they'd work. Or, really, if the OPs do. Having already tried the Riley's on, I'm curious about the fit/look in general. Not the best pictures, I realize, but still.

2. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

I just looked them up and they seem a little rounder, more pronounced. I've got an oval shaped face that, in spite of my big head, is pretty slender, so I'm not sure they'd work. Or, really, if the OPs do. Having already tried the Riley's on, I'm curious about the fit/look in general. Not the best pictures, I realize, but still.

Another pair I have is the Salt Oslos. They are bit more squared off than my Kios.

*I read in your email asking if Kios were easy to find in Canada and judging by the picture of your frames, I will take a stab at it and say you were at Spectacles on Queen... There are a few shops in that area that sell Kios.

3. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

One more - Spectacles and Other Vision Aids - too scholarly and concentrated on frames from centuries ago for my main interest.
    What else is out there????

4. narkitekt

narkitekt New Member

what do you guys think of these? am i looking in the right direction in terms of shapes that fit my face, or should i look for a different style? any recommendations would be much appreciated. i don't want to look like a nerd, hipster, or make any overt fashion statements. just want it to look put together but not draw attention to myself. i'm a university student btw. thanks so much, this thread has been incredibly helpful.

5. CityConnection

what do you guys think of these? am i looking in the right direction in terms of shapes that fit my face, or should i look for a different style? any recommendations would be much appreciated. i don't want to look like a nerd, hipster, or make any overt fashion statements. just want it to look put together but not draw attention to myself. i'm a university student btw. thanks so much, this thread has been incredibly helpful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you are looking for something understated I would suggest to go with a frame with a bit less depth. Generally, frames with more depth are more "fashionable". The frame is not really a "vintage inspired" frame but it looks that way on you because the size of the frame.

Don't get me wrong, that particular Polo frame is extremely popular right now and it does look okay on you without looking too "fashionable". It also comes in a toirtoise with green on the inside as well as a full black. The tortoise ones might the more subtle look you are looking for.

6. xM.

xM. Senior member

It looks a little too big to be subtle.

7. CityConnection

It looks a little too big to be subtle.

Personally I think subtle is something that blends and doesn't have to do with size. A large neutral colored frames will be more subtle than a small dark frame...

8. Binker

Binker Senior member

I think those look good on him

9. CityConnection

I think those look good on him

Like anything else I think everyone has their own opinions. I think they are a good size and color but I think he is looking for something a bit more simple and tame.

10. narkitekt

narkitekt New Member

thanks for the help! based on my face shape, should i stick to the square/rectangular frames?

11. poissa

poissa Senior member

Where can I get handmade Acetate frames. They are very rare at most opticians. Any ideas on what they run? From what I've read it's desirable.

12. george.white

george.white Member

thanks for the help! based on my face shape, should i stick to the square/rectangular frames?

Try something rounder, your face is very angular.

13. vilinx

vilinx Senior member

I was quoted about $200 for a nice thin lenses + crizal anti-reflective coating for a new pair of lenses. Is this reasonable or should I look elsewhere in Chicago?

14. willpower

willpower Senior member

I was quoted about $200 for a nice thin lenses + crizal anti-reflective coating for a new pair of lenses. Is this reasonable or should I look elsewhere in Chicago?
    Reasonable for a store front. Same amount I paid.

15. daruma

daruma Senior member

Any reputable and recommonded online stores to buy Oliver peoples frames from?