• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

xM.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
If you're looking for that style check out the Kio Yamato KP086, that's what I wear. No rivets, but very good quality acetate.
I just looked them up and they seem a little rounder, more pronounced. I've got an oval shaped face that, in spite of my big head, is pretty slender, so I'm not sure they'd work. Or, really, if the OPs do. Having already tried the Riley's on, I'm curious about the fit/look in general. Not the best pictures, I realize, but still.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xM.
I just looked them up and they seem a little rounder, more pronounced. I've got an oval shaped face that, in spite of my big head, is pretty slender, so I'm not sure they'd work. Or, really, if the OPs do. Having already tried the Riley's on, I'm curious about the fit/look in general. Not the best pictures, I realize, but still.

Another pair I have is the Salt Oslos. They are bit more squared off than my Kios.

*I read in your email asking if Kios were easy to find in Canada and judging by the picture of your frames, I will take a stab at it and say you were at Spectacles on Queen... There are a few shops in that area that sell Kios.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more - Spectacles and Other Vision Aids - too scholarly and concentrated on frames from centuries ago for my main interest.
What else is out there????

narkitekt

Reaction score
what do you guys think of these? am i looking in the right direction in terms of shapes that fit my face, or should i look for a different style? any recommendations would be much appreciated. i don't want to look like a nerd, hipster, or make any overt fashion statements. just want it to look put together but not draw attention to myself. i'm a university student btw. thanks so much, this thread has been incredibly helpful.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by narkitekt
what do you guys think of these? am i looking in the right direction in terms of shapes that fit my face, or should i look for a different style? any recommendations would be much appreciated. i don't want to look like a nerd, hipster, or make any overt fashion statements. just want it to look put together but not draw attention to myself. i'm a university student btw. thanks so much, this thread has been incredibly helpful.

tajvgj.jpg

23rn8k0.jpg

If you are looking for something understated I would suggest to go with a frame with a bit less depth. Generally, frames with more depth are more "fashionable". The frame is not really a "vintage inspired" frame but it looks that way on you because the size of the frame.

Don't get me wrong, that particular Polo frame is extremely popular right now and it does look okay on you without looking too "fashionable". It also comes in a toirtoise with green on the inside as well as a full black. The tortoise ones might the more subtle look you are looking for.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xM.
It looks a little too big to be subtle.

Personally I think subtle is something that blends and doesn't have to do with size. A large neutral colored frames will be more subtle than a small dark frame...

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Binker
I think those look good on him

Like anything else I think everyone has their own opinions. I think they are a good size and color but I think he is looking for something a bit more simple and tame.

poissa

Reaction score
Where can I get handmade Acetate frames. They are very rare at most opticians. Any ideas on what they run? From what I've read it's desirable.

vilinx

Reaction score
I was quoted about $200 for a nice thin lenses + crizal anti-reflective coating for a new pair of lenses. Is this reasonable or should I look elsewhere in Chicago?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vilinx
I was quoted about $200 for a nice thin lenses + crizal anti-reflective coating for a new pair of lenses. Is this reasonable or should I look elsewhere in Chicago?
Reasonable for a store front. Same amount I paid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads