• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As a seller, can I cancel a winning eBay bid?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why not make him pay for registered mail and insurance?

knowsnothin

Reaction score
Doc:

I completely understand why you are unwilling to risk shipping expensive items to China, especially to someone with zero feedback. Who wouldn't be concerned?

My only point is that, while he did not contact you as instructed, he didn't violate the terms of the auction by not contacting you about an estimated price to ship to China. If you are going to complain to eBay that he violated the terms of the auction, I think you would lose. This is just my own opinion, and I'm sure others may differ.

If I were in your shoes today, I would make sure I got paid in cash prior to shipping. I would also make sure that I made a fortune on the shipping charges. Furthermore, I would include in the shipping charges the best insurance I could find to protect myself. As the buyer did not contact you about shipping charges as instructed, you should feel free to charge him whatever you want for shipping.

Who knows, if the "shipping charges" were high enough, the buyer might try to back out of the auction.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knowsnothin
My only point is that, while he did not contact you as instructed, he didn't violate the terms of the auction by not contacting you about an estimated price to ship to China. If you are going to complain to eBay that he violated the terms of the auction, I think you would lose. This is just my own opinion, and I'm sure others may differ.

But if bidding from a country to which the seller doesn't ship isn't violating the terms of the auction, what is?

I'm perfectly willing to entertain the notion that I'm overreacting here, and maybe I should just sell it to him. But I'm reluctant to continue with a transaction for which there are already bad omens. Seems like trouble.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's really an issue, I would tell him that you can only ship him the item if he pays by a method that guarantees your security, i.e. no Paypal. If he pays with a money order or Western Union (which, technically, eBay doesn't allow), he assumes most or all of the risk.

I recently ran into a similarly sketchy situation--a bidder from South Korea with zero feedback won a jacket I listed for about $250. He paid by Paypal, and wanted me to ship to a US address not associated with the account. I refunded the payment and told him that (as my listing stated) I only accepted Paypal payments from those with confirmed addresses, & that I would only ship to confirmed addresses. (I do ofte nrelax this restriction for overseas bidders who seem to have a good record, but I do so at my discretion, and don't advertise this). He then suggested that I should let him pay me in gift certificates!

skunkworks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjmin209
I recently ran into a similarly sketchy situation--a bidder from South Korea with zero feedback won a jacket I listed for about $250. He paid by Paypal, and wanted me to ship to a US address not associated with the account. I refunded the payment and told him that (as my listing stated) I only accepted Paypal payments from those with confirmed addresses, & that I would only ship to confirmed addresses. (I do ofte nrelax this restriction for overseas bidders who seem to have a good record, but I do so at my discretion, and don't advertise this). He then suggested that I should let him pay me in gift certificates!

Holy money laundering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads