• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art of shaving

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just started using Art of Shaving tools and potions.....opinions on them?

Abe2

Reaction score
I went to their Wall Street store for a $25 shave, and was very disappointed. Although the actual experience was luxurious, and the man who shaved me was friendly and attentive, he cut me to ribbons.

I have highly sensitive skin, and very tough facial hair, so I'm a shaver's nightmare. It takes me a half-hour to 45 minutes to shave, every 36 hours.

AoS products are overpriced, imho.

thc

Reaction score
I've used their pre-shave oil, which I like and use if I don't have time to take a shower in the morning (I usually shave in the shower.) Can't stand their shaving cream though. I think it's too soapy and watery. Plus I have issues with paying more than $3-4 for shaving cream...

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Hey Foxx

Love their stuff.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after using the shaving system (AOS brand brush, shaving cream, shave oil, and after balm) for the past few weeks, i have to say it is the best shave i've ever had....less irritation, etc. and a good close shave. only gripe i have is that i can't usually find the time during the week for the whole ritual, so i use kiehls shave cream most mon-fridays.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use their shaving cream and though very overpriced, it is excellent stuff.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I'd respectfully quarrel with the "overpriced" label- except for possibly the pre-shave oil. I have the large jar of cream, and it has lasted almost two years. Just got the large jar of after shave balm, and I'll bet it'll last as long. If you use the oil, cream, and balm, all in large sizes, it won't quite cost $100, and will last 18-24 months. At $4 per month, I'll wager it's cheaper than the razor blades you're using...

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the large jar of cream, and it has lasted almost two years.
confused.gif
?? You mean the 5.3 ounce jar? That only lasts me a few months, probably 3 at the most. Granted I might use a bit too much on occasion, but you must shave once a week Steve.
wink.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Yep- the 5.3 ounce jar. I don't shave every day, but the stuff really lathers up....How'd you go through a jar in 3 months???

Just goes to show you we're all different. If not, it'd be a boring world...

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm....do both you guys use the AOS recommended "two fingertips" of shave cream, inserted into the center of the wet badger brush, run or soak in hot water, then apply? i didn't know about that until i read it recently, in the short book they published. made a big difference.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can you go into more detail about that Foxx? I'd like to know about it so I can save some money.
biggrin.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the shaving routine, according to the book (altho i haven't seen this specific method on their website or with the brush enclosure, it seems to work the BEST)

1- run or soak the badger brush in very hot water (i let hot water run on it while i apply pre shave oil, as soon as i get out of the shower)
2- shake out brush, scoop a little shave cream with the tips of your first two fingers, which is then inserted into the center of the badger shaving bristles
3- soak or run the brush in hot water again, gently shake out excess water, and begin swirling on the face. when you reach the difficult areas, or places where the cream is beginning to set/ dry, run the already creamy brush thru hot water again and apply more.
4- after shaving, shave balm.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will try that tonight. Don't have any shaving oil though, but I don't know that I really need it.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, no.. the shaving oil is what makes the deal.. best part of the shave...much less irritation, lubes the razor over the skin, major difference...highly recommend giving it a shot.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I second FOXX's high recommendation on the pre-shave oil. Especially if you have more than a day's growth. I've been using 2 fingers and no badger brush. I "scoop" it on, then ladle some more hot water on my face and soap it up some more. Maybe that's why mine's lasted so long (that and not shaving every day....) I'm going to give myself a badger brush for my birthday or Solstice, both of which are coming soon.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads