• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you ready to leave your country forever?

spb_lady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Psh. He has a BMW? Lame. What happened, did you marry a poor person?

that type of girls and boys in Russia still consider BMW to be the most cool brand for the car... or porshe. but less.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
No, that's the reason I'm being sweet to you today.
wink.gif

So glad I quit you.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
After the US, I went back to Adelaide to clean up the degree, couldn't handle the smalltown thing after living in Los Angeles,

So, Adelaide has a population of over a million, and it's a small town? Man, have I got some surprises in store for you!

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
So, Adelaide has a population of over a million, and it's a small town? Man, have I got some surprises in store for you!
Ironically, the lack of space, which comes with a large population, does make a town feel small. When I lived in East LA in the early 90s, there were areas where my race is not welcomed, so that makes LA feel like a quarter of square mile.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
Ironically, the lack of space, which comes with a large population, does make a town feel small. When I lived in East LA in the early 90s, there were areas where my race is not welcomed, so that makes LA feel like a quarter of square mile.

Aren't you de la raza? Why would you not be welcomed in East LA?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am still pretty happy here. Would be even more of a crank anywhere else.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am probably going to move back to India soon. Grew up there for the first twelve years of my life, and have been living in the US for another twelve years. But with the job market the way it is, job opportunities and life in India is looking pretty good right now.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Aren't you de la raza? Why would you not be welcomed in East LA?

When the hispanic and black people decided to start a race war? Asians, we looked to the Swiss, and got burned (literally) down. You can't profit from war selling groceries and Pantene-Pro-V

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Really? What is the average yearly wage of a middle-class job in New Delhi or Bombay?
Not a lot. The life is definitely tough in India - no denying it. India is a place of extremes - some people make more money than they know what to do with it but there is also a huge portion of the population that still lives below the poverty line. I am thinking of moving there just to get out of my current job situation and try something different for a couple of years. Been looking for a different job here for a few months, and haven't found anything yet. So, at 24 I feel like I can take the gamble to go out there and see what I can find.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 24, I think you are right. If you have the means to stay afloat until you find a job, you speak Hindi (or Urdu, or whatever), and are not particularly attached to a partner or career here, I think you should go for it.

Just be prepared to deal with the fact that while your wage relative to cost of living in India may be acceptable, internationally you may be earning a pittance, which should influence your behaviour in the long term.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think living out of the US would be fun for a few years but I don't think I could make a permanent move. I used to plan to retire to Ghana, but I have soured on the idea lately.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
At 24, I think you are right. If you have the means to stay afloat until you find a job, you speak Hindi (or Urdu, or whatever), and are not particularly attached to a partner or career here, I think you should go for it. Just be prepared to deal with the fact that while your wage relative to cost of living in India may be acceptable, internationally you may be earning a pittance, which should influence your behaviour in the long term.
But in India, his future wife's brothers will probably make less than him, which elevates him to a more attractive suitor when the time comes. Even if his international status as a baller is minuscule, his social and psychological well-being, in his immediate environment, will be much higher than those in Manhattan who pulled 60 hrs week just to pay rent. To make more money than your wife's or GF's brothers should be prime consideration in any relationship or economic consideration methink.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
What? I thought all Americans (US citizens) have passports? What about the people who came to the US from another country, eventually becoming naturalized citizens? Would they count as "traveled abroad" Americans?

According to state department statistics, something like 60 million Americans have passports, so that's roughly 20% of the population.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads