• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you a folder or hanger?

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
Plus, I can't imagine it being easy to look for a specific shirt when you are in a hurry.

Not at all, as you can see on the pics, each shirt is on sliding board, and when you look at the open cabinet one can see all the shirts in one look.

Adrian

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
ajv,
your shirt cabinet is a pure dream. Superb! You could win in the folded shirt Appreciation thread too.
What a joy to see this. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you very much, didn't even notice there was a thread for folded shirts, will have a look soon,

Adrian

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fold, exclusively.

eztantz

Reaction score
I dry clean my dress shirts & hanger is the cheaper option - judging from the poll results I'd say I'm not the only one going the cheaper route.

Shirts - hang
Sweaters - folded
Ties - rolled and in drawer (I have also realized that it ruins them & now on the lookout for a nice tie hanger)
Me - well hung
lol8[1].gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eztantz
I dry clean my dress shirts & hanger is the cheaper option...

I don't think I've ever had a cotton dress shirt dry cleaned.

But ... I definitely go the no hanger route. When recently my laundry presented me with shirts on hangers ... I asked them to have them folded. At first the counter assistant objected ... saying perhaps I hadn't provided that information. After looking at my profile on their computer system she decided they were in the wrong.

Mr. RSS
Shirts: Always fold! This customer is the reincarnation of Joan Crawford.
No wire hangers! No hangers period for shirts.

eztantz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I don't think I've ever had a cotton dress shirt dry cleaned.

I meant I have them cleaned & pressed at the dry cleaners.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Exit English

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for nice cheap wooden hangers, I got some from Ikea recently for a good price. Curved wooden hangers come in an 8 pack for $5.99, and you can get nice wide curved wooden jacket hangers for $5 each. I live in Canada so bear in mind the prices will be less for the Americans out there.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by D_Med
What about pants? I fold all my pants (including jeans and dress pants) around the knee and then I hang them in my closet for easier access. I hate the line across the knee that this creates, but this way I avoid wrinkling the other pants if I needed to get the pants from the bottom of the drawer.

I use these. Easy to get pants on/off of, and has a cushion so pants don't get that line.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MORNINGSTAR777
I ask because it seems that Mad Men and A Single Man implies it was more the norm for a man to fold his shirts. I've also seem to have read about neatly pressed and folded shirts in drawer somewhere referencing this storage method.

I'm curious why the few who say they fold exclusively do such.

The neatly pressed shirt in the drawer was so that you'd have an extra shirt in-case you slept at the office and didn't go home, or something was spilled on you shirt... that way you could just grab the extra shirt out of the drawer, throw it on, and look professional again. Plus, most offices (that I've seen) don't have a closet where you could hang a shirt so its easiest to just throw in a drawer

Originally Posted by viator
Is there any reason to think the wire hangers are harmful to shirts? They sure save space.

I'm sure its no big deal for a day or two or even a week, but if you leave a shirt on that hanger for a month its going to form to that hanger. I left a sweater on a wire hanger for a long time once and after talking it off it had spots on each shoulder that stuck out (from where the ends of the hanger had been resting.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by D_Med
What about pants? I fold all my pants (including jeans and dress pants) around the knee and then I hang them in my closet for easier access. I hate the line across the knee that this creates, but this way I avoid wrinkling the other pants if I needed to get the pants from the bottom of the drawer.
Try these: http://www.hangercity.com/ligcherwoodt.html
I'm sure its no big deal for a day or two or even a week, but if you leave a shirt on that hanger for a month its going to form to that hanger. I left a sweater on a wire hanger for a long time once and after talking it off it had spots on each shoulder that stuck out (from where the ends of the hanger had been resting.
Sweaters are different then shirts. One should always fold sweaters or knit shirts, if you have any.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics