• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these pants too short? pics

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for too short. I really don't like the high-water look.

literasyme

Reaction score
I don't think they're too short -- they're short, though, and if you're uncomfortable with that, see what your tailor can do.

On a different note (and purely out of interest, not to critique your shoes), is that how balmorals are supposed to look laced up? On mine, the laced-up section pretty much closes up. Do I need to size down?

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These guys think your pants are way too long.
ntshoes.jpg

http://men.style.com/fashion/blogs/s.../27/index.html

I would wear them that short, but pressed. I also wouldn't wear bals with them. My ideal inseam for prefinished pants is 31". If my choices are 30" and 32", I'll go with the 30" 8 times out of 10. Better a conscious and confident no-break look than a dumpy, slovenly puddle around my ankles.

rezzor

Reaction score
They don't look too short to me in the picture but I think it also depends on how much they move around when you walk and if they get stuck on the back of the heel of your shoe.

raphael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
for that size hem opening, i'd say they are a little short

+1 good eye.

I like my pants with a full break but those don't look bad at all. Wear them in good health!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd have it adjusted about a quarter inch more, or as the others posted, have the hem adjusted.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks OK from the front, but the side view looks too short. Looks like you pulled up your pants to show your shoes to someone.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
for that size hem opening, i'd say they are a little short

Would the length be more suitable if the hem opening were smaller, or bigger? Smaller, I presume?

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
As you can see, half says yes and half says no. Pants length is up to you. If you got the confidence.
I agree. If you're young, you can get away with slightly short pants. If you're really old, you can also get away with slightly short pants. At middle age is when people become picky. I think it also depends on the shoes and socks. If you're going for the playful look, go with short pants and colorful socks and bold shoes. But with the shoes you've chosen, they may appear to be on the short side if you're going for a conservative look. I'd keep the pants and wear them for certain occasions with the right shoes or go sockless on the weekends.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
the fact that the opening at the bottom of the pants is a little wide, it makes it look short.

if the opening was taken in, it would look just right.

+1. The hem probably flops around when you walk. I personally get my pants a bit longer, but lenghtwise I think you're ok

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it bothers you the way the trousers hang?
this be caused by different things.
the front could be too long at the top.
you could wear your belt down under your belly.
the back could be too short at the top.
you could have a prominent seat.
the trousers could be too tight.
the legs could be too tight over heavy calves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads