• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are black pants okay for business casual?

beny

Reaction score
Black suits are a no-no... what about wearing black trousers, black cap-toe shoes, and a white dress shirt? Is this acceptable attire for a position such as investment banking?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Investment banking? No.
Waiting tables? Yes.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Investment banking? No.
Waiting tables? Yes.

I have a buddy who is clueless about style. Absolutely. I met him for lunch during the work week, and I was wearing a suit sans tie and he was wearing a white shirt, pleated black trousers that were too baggy for him and some pretty beat up black loafers (he's 27). As we were walking back from lunch, I don't know how it came up, but he told me, you're stylin, and look at me, I look like a freakin' waiter.

I don't think black trousers are an absolute no-no if you pair them with some nice burgandy shoes and a non-white shirt, preferably something with color and pattern.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beny
Black suits are a no-no... what about wearing black trousers, black cap-toe shoes, and a white dress shirt? Is this acceptable attire for a position such as investment banking?

As long as you don't put on a plain white dress shirt and a black tie; you would look like a waiter.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Plain white shirt over black pants has always irked me. Especially since I've been forced to wear it back in high school band, because "white over black is traditional for musicians". Luckily (for me) my college professor treats any informal appearance (sans tuxedo) as a "wear what you want as long as it's dressy". Unfortunately, though, most students show up in polo shirt and jeans when told that.

Not to mention I have a very limited choice of apparel at my job. You can wear either a white or black shirt and khaki or black pants. It's amazing some of the outfits my fellow employees come up with...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently sent a pair of wool black dress pants and a pair of black chinos to charity. Black pants are not for me.

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
I have few pair of black pants that I wear when we are business casual on Fridays in the winter. I usually pair them with some sort of gray patterned shirt or a shirt with some deep reds.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my black pants have been retired into funeral wear..

although sometimes i wear them with a brighter kind of light blue with vertical white stripes shirt and it looks okay

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think black pants is fine as long as you don't wear a white shirt and duck billed clunker shoes. Wear a non-white shirt and some non-black shoes (burgundy, some shades of brown, heck even black shoes) and you should be fine.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

I don't think black trousers are an absolute no-no if you pair them with some nice burgandy shoes and a non-white shirt, preferably something with color and pattern.

I agree. They wouldn't be my first choice, but they're only taboo on this forum (and AAAC).

John Ellis

Reaction score
Black pants are a difficult style choice. I know, my wife talked me into buying a black linen pair a couple of weeks ago as casual/semi casual choice to go with dark brown linen jacket with window pane overcheck (it works) or as item to wear with individual patterned shirts (no tie). They only work with black loafers of a fairly casual look eg. Gucci types or Tod style driving shoes in black. Black pants with white shirt is definitely waiter territory.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
hmm, RE shoes to go w/ black pants, I'm surprised I'm hearing brown tossed the discussion ... I have some dark brown shoes but haven't thought about wearing them w/ black pants ... other opinions?

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveDr89
hmm, RE shoes to go w/ black pants, I'm surprised I'm hearing brown tossed the discussion ... I have some dark brown shoes but haven't thought about wearing them w/ black pants ... other opinions?

I have a pair of caramel/brown colored split toe Ferragamos that go great with my super dark charcoal pants. Give it a shot. I love brown and black,.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
okay, I have a couple of dark brown C&J's that I've never tried w/ either black or charcoal pants ... will give it shot ...

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
I have a pair of caramel/brown colored split toe Ferragamos that go great with my super dark charcoal pants. Give it a shot. I love brown and black,.

So do I and have always worn black shoes with a dark brown, chalk striped flannel suit but to my mind they just don't work with black pants. It's all personal at the end of the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads