• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

APC denim jacket

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I recently received a APC denim jacket and i wasn't sure on what to do with it. Would i treat it like raw denim jeans and hot soak and wear? The APC card that came with it said to wash by hand or in machine with cold water only for the first 3 washes. Also it mentions nothing about drying.

I was thinking of hot soaking with a bit of detergent and then hang drying or throwing it in the dryer to make it a bit softer and shrink it more. It's definitely too baggy right now. I'm generally a small to medium and this is a size 2. I've never had a raw denim jacket so i thought i'd ask. Hopefully it'll shrink/ soften up enough so i could wear it. It definitely looks off right now. Too long and baggy in the arms and fits kind of box like in the body because it's so stiff.

I'll get pictures up so people can see the jacket if they were curious. It's pretty nice, selvage and all. Doesn't someone else have the jacket here?

Ott

Reaction score
I don't own it but I've handled it... it's made from the same denim as their jeans. Which means it won't shrink appreciably, and you should probably sell it if it doesn't fit you. To me. For cheap.
plain.gif
also you shouldn't hot soak *all* raw denim before you wear it, only unsanforized pairs. APCs hardly shrink at all.

Ott

Reaction score
in my experience with APC clothing, I found their sizing to be a bit weird. If you think about their jeans, you'd expect their clothes to be far skinnier than they actually are. Even a size 1 shirt doesn't taper down enough for me, despite being too tight in the shoulders.

Now, I could be wrong, but I'm 90% sure the denim jacket I handled was the same denim as my new standards. It's pretty distinctive material. So you could try to shrink it, but I wouldn't expect amazing results. Might be better off selling it.

EDIT- for the record, my new standards shrunk about an inch in the waist (which means they're still 3 inches bigger than when I bought them) and an inch lengthwise after their first wash.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally, I wouldn't wash it first. I mean, I would wear a jacket about 1/10th as often as jeans, and I wear jeans for a year without washing. So whats that, 10 years I can go with the jacket?

Unless its a little loose for you, then washing would tighten it up a bit. I have tried the jacket on in the store, I thought the cut was very... strange. I couldn't put my finger on it.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?im...ture028uz2.jpg

http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?im...ture027lr1.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ture025ml3.jpg

As you can see, it definitely doesn't fit well right now.

The info tag says "After washing by hand or machine, the fabic will shrink and take on a washed look. It is reccommended that the first three washes of this article are in cold water.....Whichever method of cleaning, the fabric will soften with wear."

I don't own apc jeans, does it just say this with all of them or do you think the jacket will actually shrink to a decent fit? I'd like to keep it, but i'll have to sell it if it's not ever going to shrink or look right on me.

Ott

Reaction score
that tag is on all APC jeans. It won't shrink.. either get it tailored or sell it imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics