• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone have recipes to make use of authentic balsamic vinegar?

Qzar

Reaction score
I recommend ice cream as well, best ice cream you can afford to be precise. The main purpose of a very high quality balsamic is to really be enjoyed by itself. Pretty much the world is your oyster (hmmm... oysters) but I really must stress the importance of the balsamic being the primary flavor and everything else revolving around it. Parmesan and other strong cheeses are good for less expensive stuff since the cheese will be the main flavor. The best balsamics I have tried worked best with sweet flavors like ice cream and strawberries. And whatever you do, don't reduce it... or make a reduction out of it... it's just such a bad idea. All togeather just keep it away from heat. Heat has a way of caramelizing the sugars and breaking up a lot of the components that make authentic balsamico truly special.

P3R3

Reaction score
I have never used 20 yr, but my 10 yr I stock in my cabinent I use for a pan reduction for steaks. After I am done pan broiling the steak, I put in a couple table spoons of irish herbed butter and pour in some balsamic vinegar and quickly trasfer to the steak. It is quite delicious, but the sugars in the balsamic can burn quickly so you must be quick about it, or perhaps use a beef stock to bulk up the liquid content.

Double D

Reaction score
In theory, and Italian tomato sauce will benefit. Personally I prefer just to use red wine, as any sizable quantity of vinegar will cause an acidity that needs to be tempered with sugar, which then will likely need to be tempered with salt. And in the case of genuinely aged balsamics, it's probably cheaper to use your wine anyhow.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
If you're feeling daring enough to use vinegar as a dessert topping.......

Marinate some halved or quartered strawberries in the balsamic vinegar for a few hours.
Whip up some Mascarpone cheese with sugar and vanilla.
Plop a mound of the cheese on each serving plate, and pour the marinated strawberries over it.

The recipe is from one of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQ, I bought a bottle of 25 year old balsamic vinegar while in Italy last week, I haven't opened it yet. What did you end up trying yours on?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
GQ, I bought a bottle of 25 year old balsamic vinegar while in Italy last week, I haven't opened it yet. What did you end up trying yours on?
it is best not to use it in recipies and rather on ice cream or strawberries.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne

I have not used a lot of it. I've used with with flakes of parmesan and strawberries. I'm also going to make watermelon cubes with a dimple in the top to hold the balsamic as soon as fresh watermelon is available. It's good with ice cream as well.

I'm not in a rush to consume it since it keeps well. I also suggest just tasting a drop of it on its own and rolling it around on your tongue. It's a wonderful flavor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads