• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody ever had ACUPUNCTURE? Does it work?

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RanMan

Reaction score
Yeah , ya know an 8yr old post on a subject studied by the Chinese for how many thousands of years? I guess I understand the horror... eh, maybe you were looking for the crib notes

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody ever had Acupuncture? What was your issue and did it work afterwards.

If you like the placebo effect, you'll love acupuncture. :nodding:

wetnose

Reaction score
It's OK for certain types of chronic pain and fatigue, but only if you go to see the doctors who were trained in China. I turned my boss into a convert after he had awful lumbar pain. Supposedly it's good for infertility too.

RanMan

Reaction score

If you like the placebo effect, you'll love acupuncture. :nodding:

Back 6 years when I still smoked I came down with a nasty bronchitis, a deep dry cough that occurred at the first hot humid spell of the year, mid June in Boston. Went to my Dr who prescribed antibiotics - 3 days later I'm sleeping 2 hours a night. I'd lay down, but the lungs would fill and I would cough uncontrollably. In desperation I called an Acupuncturist who saw me the same day. I encountered a Chinese dude late 50's who proceeded to tune in to me. My distress was clear as I lay on the table. I was there maybe 50 min. I had to end treatment because I was just coughing so hard toward the end.

I went home that night, I drank water and took the herbs M**g prescribed. I went to bed and just crashed .... 12 hrs solid. I woke up feeling like a new man. I will never be able to articulately say enough about this experience, nor describe it as vividly or as accurately as it actually played out. The dude is a master.

A funny aside - as all this was going on, he looked at me before he had me lay down and said, "Hmm, does your shoulder hurt"? Yes, ******* did! When I say I woke up as a new man, this was a part of it as well.

Words escape me, but if you find a Master, the word placebo will never enter your mind.

Last edited:

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back 6 years when I still smoked I came down with a nasty bronchitis, a deep dry cough that occurred at the first hot humid spell of the year, mid June in Boston. Went to my Dr who prescribed antibiotics - 3 days later I'm sleeping 2 hours a night. I'd lay down, but the lungs would fill and I would cough uncontrollably. In desperation I called an Acupuncturist who saw me the same day. I encountered a Chinese dude late 50's who proceeded to tune in to me. My distress was clear as I lay on the table. I was there maybe 50 min. I had to end treatment because I was just coughing so hard toward the end.
I went home that night, I drank water and took the herbs M**g prescribed. I went to bed and just crashed .... 12 hrs solid. I woke up feeling like a new man. I will never be able to articulately say enough about this experience, nor describe it as vividly or as accurately as it actually played out. The dude is a master.
A funny aside - as all this was going on, he looked at me before he had me lay down and said, "Hmm, does your shoulder hurt"? Yes, ******* did! When I say I woke up as a new man, this was a part of it as well.
Words escape me, but if you find a Master, the word placebo will never enter your mind.

Anecdotes are not evidence. That's why we have the scientific method.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To answer the original question, no it does not.

newbien

Reaction score
Yes it works. Like RanMan said, you'll need to find a chinese man that is trained in China for the full effects of acupuncture. The human body has many points that these acupuncturists know about and it heals your ailments.

newyorknoir

Reaction score
About two years ago I pinched a nerve or shot a muscle which in turn made a bone protrude from the back of my shoulder.. I woke up in the middle of the night with spasm-like pains shooting down my arm. The next day the pain went away, but I couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder and had lost considerable strength. I figured I had done something to my rotator cuff from years of pitching and serving. I was told I'd need X-rays and likely months of physical therapy.. I did a few acupuncture sessions and the muscle strengthened and the bone is now back to where it should be. I never got a full diagnosis because I never took the X-rays, but my arm is 100% again and have not had any problems since.

I've also used acupuncture for a tight jaw and have found that it really helps to relax the muscle..

Last edited:

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Case by case. In my experience most acupuncturists (Asian and Western) can't find the meridians. They know the spot, but they don't get it into the channel, so the benefit is minimal. Moreover, Oriental doctors earn much more from herbal tonics and pills than from needles, so their emphasis is on the former. The best acupuncturist I ever found was an Aussie who trained for many years in Japan, China and Korea. Probably the most effective treatment I received was the vacuum cupping + lancing (blood letting), which draws out the blood. This technique is also used in the Arab world. I understand the lancing can't be performed in the US because Oriental doctors aren't allowed to draw blood.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads