1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody ever had ACUPUNCTURE? Does it work?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Jabal-Tariq, Aug 3, 2012.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Only had acupuncture once, but the problem I had was that I fell into a sleep with the needles in, and then got woken up - getting jolted with the needles in twisted everything up and it hurt like a motherfucker, especially the legs where there's little flesh. Will not do again, likely.

2. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

In my mid 20s, I had lower back pain to the point where I had to hold my back to get out of the car. I first exhausted all Western medical recommendations from chiros to kinesiologists (sp?) to physical therapy.

Nothing worked. The pain was excruciating so I decided to take a leap of faith and look for an acupuncturist. This is while I am terrified of needles. My buddy happened to know a lady who was trained by the Chinese government and I went.

First session took down 25% of the pain, no joke. She was the only person who was able to relieve any pain and after about a month and a half I was able to walk normally.

Placebo or not, all I know is this worked and was the only thing that did.

On a crazier note, I showed up one day with a sprained ankle after playing basketball and typically it would take me a week to heal. She stuck a couple needles in and I was able to play ball THE SAME DAY. Serious wtf moment.

3. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

If it is placebo, it's bizarre that the placebo effect didn't work in my other treatments.

Couple that with the lack of faith I actually had in acupuncture makes the whole placebo argument suspect in my case.

4. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    As one of the the primary skeptics in this thread, it's only fair that I place this here:

Meta-analysis indicates that acupuncture relieves pain.

Although the jury is still out until the gold standard has been applied -- the gold standard being a series of peer-reviewed, double-blind, control-group studies -- it's not unreasonable to now conclude that acupuncture may indeed outperform placebos at certain kinds of pain relief.

5. nootje

nootje Senior member

As I have a family member being a certified acupuncturist, I guess I could chime in here.

First off, Acupuncture is no substitute for regular medicine. It can however be great in conjunction with regular treatments. The person in question used to be an anesthesia nurse, and has no problems defining where alternative medicine can help, and in which cases it cant.

Some of the cases where I did see results, be it placebo or not are the following.

I've seen very fast recoveries by cancer patients who where receiving chemo. The acupuncture treatments helped restoring their bloodwork faster than usual, which apparently even surprised the doctors. But it enabled the hospital to use the chemo treatment more effectively, thus giving them a slightly better chance at recovery. The hospital is now actively searching out said family member to work with them.

Another case is a patient with parkinsons disease, where the acupuncture treatments have seriously slowed down the decline of his motor functions for some 7 years now. Again, the doctors confirmed the slowing down of his decline and recommended that whatever he was doing, he should keep doing that.

A funny part was when an obese person sought her advice, and got the reply that the only way needles could work was when they were used to sow his mouth shut...

6. drgs

drgs Member

It makes you feel better, but it does not cure anything

7. AlPrest

AlPrest New Member

I had accupuncture for a couple of years and was very impressed. Initially I had it for mild vertigo. I'd had this for years but was cleared up within a month of regular sessions. I also got my hayfever treated and an injured ankle tendon.

The hayfever was the most interesting. I'm a massive sufferer and have been since a kid. My accupuncturist cleared this up for a summer. I didnt have to take pills despite playing golf on sunny days and even 5 days at a sunny Glastonbury. The only issue was that it wasnt a long term cure and costly to keep up as a remedy. I stopped the treatment, the hayfever returned and now back on the tablets or Kenalog injection.

I would certainly recommend but the treatments will vary between praticioners. Mine was very experienced, Chinese origin an trained in Hong Kong. I would guess that could make a difference in the training.

I think done properly it's fantastic and certainly helps balance your body rather than using drugs.