• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any fix for gaping vents?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two jackets from the days before I knew what to look for when being fit for a jacket, where the side vents gape. I have pretty wide hips from both bone structure and, unfortunately, extra adipose tissue. Is there anything an alterations tailor can do to remedy this issue or at least reduce its effect? Regards, HS.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the solution lies more in scissor kicks than scissors.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, but even if I were to lose much of the fat in my ass, it's probably still going to be too close for comfort for well fitting side vents. I have incredibly wide hips, wide by standards even for women.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
HS, I'm with you on this one. The only solution I've found so far is double vents and a good sense of humor. I'll be trying one of [email protected]'s VNese tailors and have him pay special attention to the hips.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.