• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two reasons: the space between the foot and the toe cap expands as the insole molds to the foot and the friction softens the leather until it conforms to the shape of the foot. That is the whole point of a break-in period, no?
I guess so, but damn that sounds miserable! I haven't had any break-in periods with any of my AM's. Not sure I could handle that kind of pain?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two reasons: the space between the foot and the toe cap expands as the insole molds to the foot and the friction softens the leather until it conforms to the shape of the foot. That is the whole point of a break-in period, no?
We are talking about maybe a mm or two of space from settling of the insole and the leather stretching but that isn’t my understanding with regard to break in periods, no. My understanding is the biggest thing that “breaks in” is the sole that learns how to bend with your foot and gait. The tops of your toes will very likely not be exerting enough force on the toe cap/stiffener to change that. For reference, I spoke to Antonio about needing some space in a toe box. I spoke to Antonio about needing to stretch the toe area of a pair. It was a multi-step process that included applying direct pressure to the place I needed space for multiple weeks. Your feet likely just aren’t going to be able to do that.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you are underestimating the effect of leather softening over time. You may be right that the gain of one or two-millimeter space may be negligible, but the leather softening must be a factor, as the sole learning how to bend would not be enough to explain why heels would stop bleeding and pinks would stop hurting as people get used to their shoes.

Then again, I never stopped to think hard about the subject. I get a pair of shoes, and if my foot is not that constricted, whatever pain is there will subside over time.

We are talking about maybe a mm or two of space from settling of the insole and the leather stretching but that isn’t my understanding with regard to break in periods, no. My understanding is the biggest thing that “breaks in” is the sole that learns how to bend with your foot and gait. The tops of your toes will very likely not be exerting enough force on the toe cap/stiffener to change that. For reference, I spoke to Antonio about needing some space in a toe box. I spoke to Antonio about needing to stretch the toe area of a pair. It was a multi-step process that included applying direct pressure to the place I needed space for multiple weeks. Your feet likely just aren’t going to be able to do that.

Rimaarts

Reaction score
I think you are underestimating the effect of leather softening over time. You may be right that the gain of one or two-millimeter space may be negligible, but the leather softening must be a factor, as the sole learning how to bend would not be enough to explain why heels would stop bleeding and pinks would stop hurting as people get used to their shoes.

Then again, I never stopped to think hard about the subject. I get a pair of shoes, and if my foot is not that constricted, whatever pain is there will subside over time.

this.+0.5 size is very much doable width wise… not the smartest thing to do, but for some people that can’t afford mtm Or bespoke, there is not much choice…

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this.+0.5 size is very much doable width wise… not the smartest thing to do, but for some people that can’t afford mtm Or bespoke, there is not much choice…
my understanding is there are different types of stretch naturally depending on where you need it but there are people smarter than me who can chime in. Somewhere like, say the ball of your foot or your instep - Yes, leather can stretch more there than elsewhere - It isn’t reinforced much and has direct pressure over prolonged periods of time from your foot. Length? Not so much. Toe cap that’s reinforced with leather and hardened paste? Not likely. Heel? It might form a little but my understanding is its probably not going to stretch out a ton, more likely is the sole that constantly bends and breaks and learns your gate will keep your foot in the heel cup better which is why people experience heel slip subsiding as shoes “break in”. The short version is to say if your feet are bleeding it depends on why that is to figure out if that’ll ever get better.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always have a width problem.. (either have to choose one feet half size too small or another feet half size too big..).. never had a problem like this.

not the poster but...if it's the toe stiffener, i don't think it will.. if it's creasing... well it's leather. leather stretches... I hope. my yeossals have gotten better. hope meccariello will too..

and by the way I don't think it's a width issue.. I've had plenty even more narrower shoes, and I'm used to too narrow shoes. it's the pinky that suffers from narrow shoes. not top of the toe joint..

I would think the easier route would just always to buy the one that fit the bigger feet and for the smaller foot, insole/tongue pad. Are you left/right off by half size or full size?

Rimaarts

Reaction score
I would think the easier route would just always to buy the one that fit the bigger feet and for the smaller foot, insole/tongue pad. Are you left/right off by half size or full size?

I think it's half size...

I have couple pairs like that, but they just feel... off? I guess I'm too used to supertight shoes.. as tight as possible without bleeding or blistering...

spencert

Reaction score
My experience with AM since starting my journey 3 years back, from painful break in to zero break in. I love Antonio's workmanship but wearing them have always come with pain.

I am a UK 9.5 TTS on EB and Vass, they both fit perfectly with zero break in. I size up to UK 10 in both AM soft square and hawkbill. They were always painful to wear at heel area, even after break in. At times I ask myself, why go through all that pain but my love for AM shoes prevailed.

On my 6th pair of AM, the Valerius Hatch grain Siena loafer in soft square UK9.5, Antonio modified the instep and heel area for an up charge of 50 euro. Even though it was a RTW, he treated this order like a MTO.

When they arrived, I still find the instep too tight. Antonio advised me to get a shoe stretcher similar to this:
Then stretch gradually until the fit is perfect. He believe that this is the best way get the ideal fitting.

This pair of loafer have zero break in and I no longer have to face pain wearing an AM. Such a relieve that I finally got it right. It's really all about the fit and a shoemaker that will go all out to satisfy a loyal customer.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with AM since starting my journey 3 years back, from painful break in to zero break in. I love Antonio's workmanship but wearing them have always come with pain.

I am a UK 9.5 TTS on EB and Vass, they both fit perfectly with zero break in. I size up to UK 10 in both AM soft square and hawkbill. They were always painful to wear at heel area, even after break in. At times I ask myself, why go through all that pain but my love for AM shoes prevailed.

On my 6th pair of AM, the Valerius Hatch grain Siena loafer in soft square UK9.5, Antonio modified the instep and heel area for an up charge of 50 euro. Even though it was a RTW, he treated this order like a MTO.

When they arrived, I still find the instep too tight. Antonio advised me to get a shoe stretcher similar to this:
Then stretch gradually until the fit is perfect. He believe that this is the best way get the ideal fitting.

This pair of loafer have zero break in and I no longer have to face pain wearing an AM. Such a relieve that I finally got it right. It's really all about the fit and a shoemaker that will go all out to satisfy a loyal customer.
That's great information - many thanks. When you say these loafers are tight on the instep, do you mean right under the strap? I wouldn't have imagined that a stretcher could do a lot of work there.

Also, forgot to ask: When using a stretcher like the one you linked to, are you supposed to moisten/condition the leather to help it have effect?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

you went a full size up vs EB on which last?

spencert

Reaction score
That's great information - many thanks. When you say these loafers are tight on the instep, do you mean right under the strap? I wouldn't have imagined that a stretcher could do a lot of work there.

Also, forgot to ask: When using a stretcher like the one you linked to, are you supposed to moisten/condition the leather to help it have effect?
Yes, you are supposed to damp the shoe first and the tightness was just below the strap. The stretcher can really stretch the instep. In fact, I over-stretched and have to wet the shoes again and place under the sun to shrink back. That works too!

So the trick is to stretch gradually until you have the ideal fit.

you went a full size up vs EB on which last?
EB 602 and 74945 last. Vass U last.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the advantages of living in China is that such products cost pennies and come shipped for less than U$5 or something.

I have experience with those. They work, as long as one is not expecting huge changes. I may use them in my new Meccariello pair but I will try the old method of wearing the shoes a few times before doing anything else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads