• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GMTOs are a safe way to be creative and test the waters, worst case everyone gets their money back and there is no harm. I totally agree with what you said, I brought some simple sneakers in the shop and they disappeared in a month.

I wonder what sparks your (plural) interest in a GMTO by a high end maker like AM. Is it the style? Is it the leather? All together?
He takes the best pictures in the business...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be norwegian, but yes I was thinking about above the line. Could you show a pic of the Mecc for some inspiration?

I don't think this is what you want though, it's only on the facing, and AM blend in the color really well, it's not very obvious.

1594413231689.png

when brand new (GG on left, CJ HG on right)
1594413469737.png

1594413487288.png

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would honestly recommend against a longwing for your business sake, but I suppose a GMTO is low risk. The longwing is a classic American style that seems to be falling out of favor as dress codes get more casual. Menswear snobs consider it too casual with suits, and Americans think it's too formal.

I like longwing, actually, but I think it's hard to do "right"

1. you can go "smart" (EG had a model on 888), but that's way to sleek
2. you can go "chunkky" for lack of better world (Alden), I think this is more versatile, but I'm not sure how PS's aesthetics fits that bill though

edit: personally, if say CJ 341 on longwing then I would say it's a good balance, but then might as well go SWB, I feel it's a bit more versatile

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GMTOs are a safe way to be creative and test the waters, worst case everyone gets their money back and there is no harm. I totally agree with what you said, I brought some simple sneakers in the shop and they disappeared in a month.

I wonder what sparks your (plural) interest in a GMTO by a high end maker like AM. Is it the style? Is it the leather? All together?
I'm not the most lucrative consumer so take my feedback with a grain of salt. For me, first the baseline is I need to trust that a shoe from a brand is well constructed with good quality leather and clicking (think Vass and Enzo Bonafe). Second, since I already have more shoes than I can wear, the combination of shoe pattern and last are really important to me (this is where Meccariello stands out. He has beautiful patterns that slightly deviate from classics easily available for MTO). Third, the price needs to be reasonable where I won't get a similar shoe at a significantly (30+%) from other brands. All of this is assuming that the lasts fit me or I get to be fitted in person.

Frankly, if it weren't for the prices, I would probably have a bunch of Edward Green and Gaziano & Girling. For me, my benchmarks are Vass and Zonkey Boot. If I HAD to wear only either of those brands for the rest of my life, I would be happy. So other shoes have to give me good reason to "cheat" on Vass and Zonkey. Paolo Scafora does seem to be worth a try, as it's an artisanal brand that seems to be made with a lot of integrity, but I'm concerned that the lasts might be too voluminous.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

style for sure, I think most guys who would jump on GMTO are guys with basic well covered for starter, so it's going to be experiment or things you don't think readily available (doesn't have to be eccentric, but might just be a bit different)

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not the most lucrative consumer so take my feedback with a grain of salt. For me, first the baseline is I need to trust that a shoe from a brand is well constructed with good quality leather and clicking (think Vass and Enzo Bonafe). Second, since I already have more shoes than I can wear, the combination of shoe pattern and last are really important to me (this is where Meccariello stands out. He has beautiful patterns that slightly deviate from classics easily available for MTO). Third, the price needs to be reasonable where I won't get a similar shoe at a significantly (30+%) from other brands. All of this is assuming that the lasts fit me or I get to be fitted in person.

Frankly, if it weren't for the prices, I would probably have a bunch of Edward Green and Gaziano & Girling. For me, my benchmarks are Vass and Zonkey Boot. If I HAD to wear only either of those brands for the rest of my life, I would be happy. So other shoes have to give me good reason to "cheat" on Vass and Zonkey. Paolo Scafora does seem to be worth a try, as it's an artisanal brand that seems to be made with a lot of integrity, but I'm concerned that the lasts might be too voluminous.
I am a huge fan of italian designs and AM is one that stands out for me. I am not a huge fan of the british designs these days, G&G is the only one that truly appeals to me. One day I will try ZB!

Thanks for your feedback.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking as a person who actually wants that boring American style, albeit the Short Wing, I think it would be a solid choice. But NOT as bi-material.

With the inherently casual nature of the design (bc of the broguing) the addition of yet another material would be overkill. At that point, you would make them way too casual for suits yet too unconventional for casual wear.

If you then decided to stick with a smooth leather, most people would just purchase the cheaper alternatives available in the market (ie CJ, Alden, etc). So whilst I would like a SWB, doubtful there is much of an audience for the style these days.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of italian designs and AM is one that stands out for me. I am not a huge fan of the british designs these days, G&G is the only one that truly appeals to me. One day I will try ZB!

Thanks for your feedback.
@BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes just dropped a huge hint. I hope you caught it ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics