• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another sunglasses question

DSKent

Reaction score
So I'm looking for some new "fashionable" sunglasses. When shopping for sunglasses online, I see that I like a few of the Gucci and Prada ones (probably because they're more conservative than Dior or Versace). However, at local stores, a few of the Gucci designs I like are all designated as women's even though they are designated men's or unisex online. I've seen people of both sexes wear them, but I still am a bit worried about buying a pair of girl's glasses. Could some of you please take a look at these and let me know what you think: Gucci sunglasses Also, any reccomendations concerning fashionable (but not too trendy) sunglasses would be appreciated. I like glasses with mid- or large-sized lenses, nothing too small. Thanks.

High_Roller

Reaction score
Well, those Gucci's are either the exact same or very close to the ones I just purchased at a discount shop for 50 Canadian dollars. The ones I bought might have had bigger lenses, and they fade dark to light blue. But Gucci makes several colours in that style sunglass. They are definately my favorites out of any designer sunglasses I've seen. It's a matter of personal preference I would say.

For those specific sunglasses, They are unisex. I'm not positive but I think Gucci makes them in different sizes for men and women. The women's being smaller. But other than that those glasses are unisex and definately not meant just for a lady.

I hope I've been of some help.

DSKent

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the make them in many colors (black, azure, brown, green, lime) for both men and women.  I feel better knowing at least one other male owns a pair of these glasses.  I also think that in blue, lime, and black, the glasses are more suited for a man (as women tend to often buy the brown ones).

They're 90 on Bluefly, which I don't mind paying since they sell for $200-250 in the sunglass stores down here and aren't really offered cheaper anywhere else reputable.  Since I can't try them on before purchasing, I may end up returning the glasses and getting another pair (and maybe another pair after that, who knows), so Bluefly's return policy may come in handy.

davei

Reaction score
There are lots of unisex styles out there. If you can pull off the look, who cares. I have some tortoise shell Wayfarers I wear all the time even though I rarely see men wearing them (come to think of it, I rarely see anyone wearing them
smile.gif
Well, there was John Belushi in Blues Brothers (I think.)

Timothy

Reaction score
I have a pair of those in the brown fade, the ones (any color) with the rhinestone G's are for the ladies. You should check out a local TJMax, if you have one, for I found mine there for only $25. I warn you though that since these glasses have been out for a while now that there are a lot of cheap imitations of that shape and style (similar to what happened to the Dior Mini Motar). So if you're concerned with the idea of not looking like some of those people that buy their sunglasses from Wal-Mart then you may want to buy a pair with a more "Exclusive" design to them.

ulf

Reaction score
So if you're concerned with the idea of not looking like some of those people that buy their sunglasses from Wal-Mart then you may want to buy a pair with a more "Exclusive" design to them.
I'm sorry, but this strikes a chord in me. Practically anything you buy that can be copied will be copied sooner or later. Clothes, shoes, bags, sunglasses...

If you and your peers can tell the difference between real and fake, who cares? If you're only interested in the lofty status a single object might give you, think again. It's not that easy.

High_Roller

Reaction score
Practically anything you buy that can be copied will be copied sooner or later. Clothes, shoes, bags, sunglasses...

I agree. I think as long as you know it's fine. Besides, there's always little differences, say you bough Gucci sunglasses. Anyone that would know they were Gucci's in the first place, would be able to tell if they were the real thing or not.

Timothy

Reaction score
Personally this is not a really big issue with me, I was just giving him a heads up that many cheap versions of that style exist. I am not trying to be elitist here, it's just that if you're going to pay around $100 and up for any accessory why would you want it to look exactly the same as one someone paid $15 for? Would a Yurman bracelet be as desired by those who are into that jewelry if K-Mart sold ones that look exactly the same for 1/4th the price? Then again if this gentleman doesn't care about the brand name and is only interested in the style now he knows that he can find the same style much cheaper elsewhere. In the end it's whatever. . .

DSKent

Reaction score
I ended up buying the glasses for $75. I'm not concerned with the imitation factor mostly because down here (in FL) most designer eyeware for guys (except in the nicer areas and by the beach) consists of Oakley and Ray-Ban. I do care about the brand name, but only because my experience with eyeware has been that designer glasses hold up better than their cheaper counterparts (I've had the same pair of Giorgio Armani eyeglasses for four years - quite a long time for me to stick with ANYTHING). Thanks for the advice, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics