• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Apparel vs. Alternative Apparel

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Damn, I want one of those Alt. A shortsleeve sweatshirts. It'd look extremely badass over a JtG shortsleeve gingham.

I was totally going to cop for a 'great escape' look.

Hellbound

Reaction score
Personally I love American Apparel. The T-Shirts and wife beaters are great quality and very basic and simple (Plus it's American made stuff). I'm not familiar with Alternative Apparel.

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArtisticShowcase
I kinda agree with your point. I think as long as people aren't wearing Deep Vs, short shorts or anything made of lamÃ
00a9.png
in public, they will be free of that label.

I just got hired at an AmApp because the company rep said she wants to get rid of the hipsters and that the whole company is trying to move away from the hipster association. Now if only they could use better fabric with better colors and quality control...

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i recently bought some new AmAPP tees and some AltAPP tees

they def redesigned the AmAPP tees...the tee i got a few years ago fits perfect on me [5'8 @ 155lbs]

now these are long as hell and the sleeves are loose [size small]

the AltAPP tees fit great in a size medium

the colors suck though @ AltAPP

both suffer from major consistency issues...both orders had tees fitting different

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
I'm leaning Alternative Apparel.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alt App tees are the only tees I wear now. I love the eco heather ones. They are very thin, I like that, but others might not. Am App only fits if you have a -2 inch drop.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh. I've only tried the Alt App Perfect V and I found them too short and blousy still. Nice fabric but the fit is still off for me.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I can't stand the uppity j-hole hipster scum that work at UO and AA so i buy basics at target and skip the un-neccesary bullshit associated with buying underwear and t-shirts.

if i knew enough people to organize a trendyblanks buy i'd get the 50-25-25 t-shirts in bleu an grey.

robbie

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Eh. I've only tried the Alt App Perfect V and I found them too short and blousy still. Nice fabric but the fit is still off for me.
I also found the Perfect and the V-Gan tees to be too wide at the hem to be exactly what I want. I've got a 7" drop.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm the eco heather tees I got were nice and tapered. I have a 9" drop.

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
I have an eco-heather than runs a full size small that I got at Marshalls. I may have shrunk it, I don't remember, but it definitely was 'nice and tapered'. Those may have a different cut, or maybe the cut was just really off (hence Marshalls)

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arms_Akimbo
I have an eco-heather than runs a full size small that I got at Marshalls. I may have shrunk it, I don't remember, but it definitely was 'nice and tapered'. Those may have a different cut, or maybe the cut was just really off (hence Marshalls)

Generally, the Alt.A shirts that are advertised as being "unisex" (like the eco-heathers) fit well. The men's tonal stripe crew and rugby crew were much more AmAppish.

wurlwyde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think both have their pro's and cons.
For American Apparel their loose neck summer shirt is the best t-shirt day to day in my opinion. The sleeves are a bit off, but none the less, it's a great shirt
Also the tri-blend is great although the neck hole is a bit small for my taste

Alternative apparel's perfect v is the best I've found, but I've found that they don't retain their shape too well in white
The perfect tee would be good, but the ribbing around the neck is far to small and make it look bad in my opinion
I have alot of experience with both brands and go back and forth, but right now I'm in the American Apparel corner all in all. Anyone a big fan of their v-necks??

shadrach

Reaction score
anyone tried the american apparel chambray? sorry i didn't want to start a new thread.....

wurlwyde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add about the alternative apparel heather t's, they seem to run small. Has anyone sized up on these? I love the idea, but they're too tight on me in a medium.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads