• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternative to Express Modern Fit?

ob187

Reaction score
Although I know most of you aren't a big fan of the Express Modern Fit 1MX shirts, but I've been wearing them for over 5 years. I usually get simple colors: white, black, black stripped, a few cooler designs when they go on sale for $20. They just fit me really well and the colors don't fade like I've been reading in here.

Does anybody have an alternative to them around that price? I can't afford to be spending more that $30 for a shirt. The H&M shirts fit me well, but I feel the quality of the shirt isn't great. I like the BR shirts, but don't want to spend $60 on one shirt.

Any suggestions? Just looking for a plain white, some stripped shirts that I could wear to work and go out downtown. I rarely wear a tie with my shirts (business casual).

stumy

Reaction score
This is a serious suggestion:

Consider going to a goodwill, picking up a brooks brothers (or equivalent) shirt for $3, and then take it to a shirt alteror. For a total of $23 you will have a nice fitting shirt.

Other than that I can't think of anything in that price range, but others very well might.

SJTrance

Reaction score
I will say that I really like the Express fit for the price. However, I have a few gripes with the 1MX shirts. The collars are so darned pointy and they really don't hold up well. I find that the stretch material comes "undone" too soon.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Express shirts are bad, that being said, I am selling 2 of them right now in my for sale very cheap.

laugh.gif

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have an athletic build, you'd be hard pressed to find dress shirts for the same price that fit as well as some of the slim express shirts.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Express is for cheap Guido's that like Dragons.

I LOVE Dragons!
bounce2.gif

I have 3 1MX shirts that I got for free, gift card or something like that. The fit is ok, material is awful, the styling is pretty ho-hum too. Not a fan of the collars. I haven't worn them in over a year.

For your price range you'd be best off waiting for TM Lewin's sales. They offer a wide range of sizes, slim fits (not terribly slim but they can always be altered), different fabrics and patterns, along with nice collars. I got 4 shirts for about $26 each after the sale, coupon, shipping, and VAT exclusion. Miles better than the Express 1MX shirts. The only issue is that they are all double cuffed.

SJTrance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I LOVE Dragons!
bounce2.gif

I have 3 1MX shirts that I got for free, gift card or something like that. The fit is ok, material is awful, the styling is pretty ho-hum too. Not a fan of the collars. I haven't worn them in over a year.

For your price range you'd be best off waiting for TM Lewin's sales. They offer a wide range of sizes, slim fits (not terribly slim but they can always be altered), different fabrics and patterns, along with nice collars. I got 4 shirts for about $26 each after the sale, coupon, shipping, and VAT exclusion. Miles better than the Express 1MX shirts. The only issue is that they are all double cuffed.

Yes!!! A patient told me about this a while back. I think site is probably a great idea. How do you pay and how do you convert the money if you're in the US?

Sanjay

ob187

Reaction score
Alright, what would you recommend for a shirt under $50? I can usually go to Marshall's or TJ Max and find some good $50 shirts for $20-$30.

I'm 6'0, athletic build, about 185 with a 32 to 33 inch waist.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stumy
This is a serious suggestion:

Consider going to a goodwill, picking up a brooks brothers (or equivalent) shirt for $3, and then take it to a shirt alteror. For a total of $23 you will have a nice fitting shirt.

This is actually a really good advice. A well tailored shirt would fit much better than most RTW options under $50, even if on sale.

ob187

Reaction score
I will check the the Goodwill....what brands have the best quality of shirts? And should I go into Nordstrom's or some department store and get my measurements?

ob187

Reaction score
My shirt measurements are 15 1/2 x 34/35. I went to Marshall's today and they actually had a good selection, but none in my size were the slim fit.

What's the difference between a slim fit and fitted fit? I guess I like the Express Modern Fit because they have the 3% spandex. I noticed some of the shirts as Marshall's (Van Husen, Calvin Klien) were more polyester than cotton.

Any other ideas?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find a fair bit of variation between brands. I've got 15.75" that are tight in the neck but perfect otherwise. I've got 15.75" that are loose in the neck but tight in spots.

ob187

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has an alternative to the Express Modern Fit shirts about the same price. I really need the slim fit style.

Marshall's and TJ Maxx have good prices on shirts, but about 90% of them aren't the slim fit.

A few have told me to get Brooks Brothers or LandsEnd shirts, but those are more expensive and over my budget.

Any ideas?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads