Allmeier Shirts, 109 Westt 24th Street, NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marc237, Jun 3, 2005.

1. marc237

marc237 Senior member

As I walk to work, I often pass the corner of 24th Street and 6th Avenue and note their sign. They appear to still be in business. I was wondering whether anybody knew anything about them and had ever used them.

2. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I have never used them, but I hear they are excellent for shirt alterations, collar and cuff replacements, etc. Roger Talbot of H&K referred me to them for any alterations I would need.

3. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

They have two of my shirts right now for sleeve lengthening, let's hope they do a good job.

4. caledoniasoul2

caledoniasoul2 Well-Known Member

do they just do alterations or do they sell as well...

5. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

Coincidently, I just picked up 5 shirts I'd taken there for sleeve shortening this morning. It's a real factory on the second floor. They seem to have done nice work for a fair price--I had never heard of them before, but after having no luck in my sleeve shortening quest at The Shirt Store, a nice saleslady at Charles Thyrwitt recommended them.

Walking in, I knew I chose wisely. Scattered around the factory floor were bags from Kiton and Domenic Vacca.

6. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

When they shorten shirt sleeves, do they also adjust the sleeve vents to maintain the same vent length?

How much do they charge for shirt sleeve shortening?

7. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

They did indeed adjust the placket to maintain the proper distance. Charged 12.50 a shirt. Not open on the weekend, by the way.

8. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

Allmeir used to be on 23rd between 6th and 7th. back then it was a much smaller shop with piles of shirts everywhere. They used to do aall of the shirt alterations for Barneys. I never could figure out how you couold find anything in that place. Sandy P. The current owner took over from his father about 10-15 years ago. They still do mostly repairs. He does machine made monograms. Sandy does some monogram work for me. He also runs a large embroidery business on Long island. HE is not always around 24th street. The ladies who work there are very nice. One is a bit gruff. They do clean work. Sandy will also make shirts, but that is not his main business. Carl www.cego.com

9. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

I have had them change re- collar and cuff shirts with white cloth.

They handle most of the shirt alterations/repairs of the major stores, such as Saks.

You have to push them a little in order for them to complete repairs.

10. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Do they do suits as well?

11. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

No suit alterations/repairs as far as I know. Strictly a shirt shop.

12. nbutter

nbutter Senior member

totally dragged from the archives - anyone know if these folks are still in business?

i have about a dozen shirts whose sleeves need shortening, so i'm looking for a solution in manhattan that's less than $20/shirt...$10 would be ideal!

if no one knows i will go take a look and report back...

13. Chow Chow

Chow Chow Well-Known Member

I've also had alterations done there on London shirts. At least two of the Jermyn St. firms, H&K and, I think, Cole, recommended them. They did a good job for a fair price. I have not had shirts made there, but they are in the biz.

14. nbutter

nbutter Senior member

went by today - they are there - $15 to measure and shorten sleeves, $12.50 if they don't have to measure each one (ie they suggested measuring one and using it as a template).

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

went by today - they are there - $15 to measure and shorten a shirt, $12.50 if they don't have to measure each one (ie they suggested measuring one and using it as a template).

Is shortening sleeves the same price?