• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen-Edmonds outlet store sale

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Sure does. I even got them in a different size. My black Hillcrests are 11.5EEE and my chestnut Hillcrests are 12EEE, and I've come to realize that they are a tad too wide. I got the Hastings in 12D, although in some of the other styles that I tried on I think that 12E would have been best.

Also, I had always avoided the chili color because it seemed too red for my taste, but now I like it. Go figure.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The disparity in fit between the Hillcrest and the Hastings is quite surprising. I know that the Hillcrest is on the #4 last, and I have the impression that the Hastings is too. (Unfortunately, my printed A-E catalog is at home, and I don't think the last numbers appear on A-E's website.) It's because of experiences like yours that I firmly believe in only buying shoes I've tried on. In my normal size, 13D, I don't care for the #3 last, find the #1 very "iffy" (sometimes good and comfortable, sometimes not) while the #4, #5 and #8 have always been very comfortable. I just got my first pair on the #0 last (the discontinued Kingsley) and like it well.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
I need to start paying more attention to the different lasts.

I think I made the mistake of buying the slightly-too-wide shoes because having wide feet, and having always found that most brands fit too narrowly, I figured the wider the better. Just as with my long arms I have in the past made the mistake of thinking that sleeves could never be too long.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On consulting the A-E catalog, I find that the Halifax is actually on the #5 last. I personally find very little difference between the #4 and #5 in fit. I note that both the Fairfax and Halifax are on the #5 last, which leads me to wonder if the only difference in the two A-E wholecuts is in the colors they're offered in and the broguing patterns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics