• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Bayfield boot- any experiences?

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
I still can't decide if I should buy these boots for a compromise in terms of price or just dish out the extra cash and go for the Wolverines. Ugh. I hate tough decisions.

Anyone have any last minute advice? The AE sale ends soon so I might have to just pull the trigger and hope I made the right decision.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any last minute advice? The AE sale ends soon so I might have to just pull the trigger and hope I made the right decision.

I saw them today in person and they are nothing to write home about........even on sale, not worth $265 IMO.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
I saw them today in person and they are nothing to write home about........even on sale, not worth $265 IMO.

What exactly didn't do it for you? They look good based on the pictures I've seen; I just worry they're a bit too "dressy" for what I'd want to wear them for.

david123

Reaction score
I got them and like them. Also, shipping is free and you can return to any AE store any time so long as they're unused. If you have one accessible, there's little risk.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly didn't do it for you? They look good based on the pictures I've seen; I just worry they're a bit too "dressy" for what I'd want to wear them for.

the proportions seemed off. The true test of a shoemaker is when the same proportions can be had in all sizes..........I wear a sz 7.5-8 and the boot looked like they were made for children. Definitely not a sleek shape/last and they are NOT dressy at all.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by david123
I got them and like them. Also, shipping is free and you can return to any AE store any time so long as they're unused. If you have one accessible, there's little risk.

You can return via mail, right?

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Just got mine in brown from the Shoe Bank and I am quite happy with them. Some people have been complaining that they aren't 'sleek' enough, but if you have size 8 feet then it's your feet that aren't sleek enough. I have a 10.5 and they seem very comfortable and stylish, albeit more for cords and a sweater, or cotton khakis and an odd jacket than a suit.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chargersfan
Just got mine in brown from the Shoe Bank and I am quite happy with them. Some people have been complaining that they aren't 'sleek' enough, but if you have size 8 feet then it's your feet that aren't sleek enough. I have a 10.5 and they seem very comfortable and stylish, albeit more for cords and a sweater, or cotton khakis and an odd jacket than a suit.

I ordered them as well. I figure I'll give them a look, and if I don't like them, I'll send them back and buy some Wolverines. I'm going to be wearing them exclusively for casual-wear, so it doesn't bother me if they are inappropriate for a suit.

How did they size for you? You should post some pictures!

Oh, by the way, how long does backorder usually take through AE? The shoes were backordered in my size, but with the sale ending, I just ordered them anyway.

miomall1

Reaction score
I received mine yesterday, in brown chromexcel and I like them. Will be restricting them to casual wear, but that's just my preference.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered them as well. I figure I'll give them a look, and if I don't like them, I'll send them back and buy some Wolverines. I'm going to be wearing them exclusively for casual-wear, so it doesn't bother me if they are inappropriate for a suit. How did they size for you? You should post some pictures! Oh, by the way, how long does backorder usually take through AE? The shoes were backordered in my size, but with the sale ending, I just ordered them anyway.
damn, i caught this just in time! apparently the sale ends today. I got them in black. I'll post pics if i'm satisfied with their appearance
wink.gif
Mine said 'backordered' too, but during checkout it said 'ships in 7-10 days' or something, so I assume that is how long the backorder is? which would mean, if you got free shipping, probably just under 2 weeks total i think. this is the first 'nice' pair of shoes i've bought... I got the pencil and paper out and measured my foot, and it said I should get a 10.5... I've found a couple pairs of my cheaper shoes in size 10 flat are slightly too long for me... is it common for shoemakers to make them slighter longer than the actual size? If they're slightly too snug at half a size too small, will they stretch and get more comfortable?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chargersfan

feet aren't sleek enough?? Are you kidding me????

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
feet aren't sleek enough?? Are you kidding me????

Would you prefer feet of a woman or child?

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Let me first say that I was really excited about the Bayfields when I first saw them on the web. I own many pairs of AE shoes.

Stopped into an AE store to check them out yesterday. They are fugly!!!! Not sleek at all and pretty much look like orthopedic shoes.

ffffuuuu.gif

enarchay

Reaction score
this is the first 'nice' pair of shoes i've bought... I got the pencil and paper out and measured my foot, and it said I should get a 10.5... I've found a couple pairs of my cheaper shoes in size 10 flat are slightly too long for me... is it common for shoemakers to make them slighter longer than the actual size? If they're slightly too snug at half a size too small, will they stretch and get more comfortable?
Well, I don't want to freak you out for nothing since you're excited about your first purchase, but I find that AEs run a halfsize long and slightly narrow. For example, I take a 9E in Sperrys, and I can squeeze into a 9D in PF Flyers sneakers, but with AEs, I usually have to get a 8.5EEE. If a 10 is usually too long for you in other brands, then I would think a 10.5 would be too long for you in AE.

Of course, you could wait, try them on, and if they don't fit, exchange them for the proper size. Or, alternatively, you could try to come up with the best guess for what size you'd need, and give AE a call; they could probably switch the order out for you and keep the discount.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
Let me first say that I was really excited about the Bayfields when I first saw them on the web. I own many pairs of AE shoes.

Stopped into an AE store to check them out yesterday. They are fugly!!!! Not sleek at all and pretty much look like orthopedic shoes.

ffffuuuu.gif

+ 100000000

too bad though, would have been nice to see a stylish boot from America for a change.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads