• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster Brown

Reaction score
The $209 Daltons are burning a hole in my wallet. I need some advice in choosing between oxblood and walnut. My current boot line-up includes Bleecker Streets in Bob's Chili and Fifth Streets in brown. The oxblood seems like more natural fall/winter color but the walnut would add some variety. For those of you who have walnut boots, how versatile are they?

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sale is testing my will, I am going to stay strong though. Better stay out of this thread haha

I stopped at that... a fathers day gift from the kids.

Patriots at $127 were a tough no... If they were any suede left it would have been bought.

I have Carminas on my radar for my next purchase..

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The $209 Daltons are burning a hole in my wallet. I need some advice in choosing between oxblood and walnut. My current boot line-up includes Bleecker Streets in Bob's Chili and Fifth Streets in brown. The oxblood seems like more natural fall/winter color but the walnut would add some variety. For those of you who have walnut boots, how versatile are they?

I think the oxeblood Dalton's are amazing...I do not have a Walnut boot but do have Walnut shoes and find the oxeblood to be really special and would choose it over the walnut....of course I would choose Bourbon over walnut also on the Dalton.

and mind you I love the walnut Dalton too but decided 2 pairs were enough

Last edited:

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I've never seen Daltons @ $209. Great deal. And I would get the Oxblood or Black over the others. To the above poster.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just scooped some Walnut Daltons myself. I'm considering ordering a 2nd pair, picking the best, and eating the $10 restocking fee.

In terms of color, I plan to slowly work in bourbon or chili polish. Hope this will give them a little extra pop and make them more versatile than trad walnut.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
of course I would choose Bourbon over walnut also on the Dalton.

Bourbon is my favorite for sure, but it seems all of the seconds have pretty bad tiger striping. I think I'd rather take a loose pull tap or wrinkled upper (and darken them myself) than a pair with deep stripes that won't ever go away.

Buster Brown

Reaction score

I just scooped some Walnut Daltons myself. I'm considering ordering a 2nd pair, picking the best, and eating the $10 restocking fee.

In terms of color, I plan to slowly work in bourbon or chili polish. Hope this will give them a little extra pop and make them more versatile than trad walnut.

Good call. Seconds can be a crapshoot so ordering both improves my chances of finding something I want to keep. Of course this risks both pairs going into my collection :embar:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gentlemen! What's the general consensus on the 'Gobi' boots? I'm considering buying a pair.
I really like my brown suede ones. Look great with different color laces too. FYI - had to drop a 1/2 size in length to manage the extra volume.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General consensus is they run a bit large.

I ordered an 8.5D vs. my 511 Long Branch 9D (which in reality is a bit roomy, but great for boot socks).

rostov

Reaction score
Hi gentlemen! What's the general consensus on the 'Gobi' boots? I'm considering buying a pair.

I love mine and I haven't seen anyone complain about theirs. I'm a standout as others seem to find them roomy, but personally find them a tad low in the forefoot. Not enough to bother me with suede, but if you have a tall forefoot (as I do), you might want to consider sizing up with the calf version.

Bourbon is my favorite for sure, but it seems all of the seconds have pretty bad tiger striping. I think I'd rather take a loose pull tap or wrinkled upper (and darken them myself) than a pair with deep stripes that won't ever go away.

Oxblood and Bob's Chili can also fall victim to this, so beware.

I think the oxeblood Dalton's are amazing...I do not have a Walnut boot but do have Walnut shoes and find the oxeblood to be really special and would choose it over the walnut....of course I would choose Bourbon over walnut also on the Dalton.

and mind you I love the walnut Dalton too but decided 2 pairs were enough

Gosh, I'm in the same boat. I've got two pairs of Eagle County boots in Brown Grain and Oxblood and a Walnut Shell Dalton! Yet, I'm tempted by those Chocolate Daltons, or even a pair in Walnut calf.

I find my walnut calf and walnut shell to pair best with jeans, burgundy, blue, and green chinos. With shoes (not boots) you could pull off walnut wearing with a blue or light-gray suit. EDIT: This is why I think I'm done with my walnut Strands... the options to wear walnut are so much better with casual styles better matched by a blucher. If I were buying them again, I'd buy the Rogue or Dalton instead, or maybe a walnut Flatiron. Oh, I also forgot, yes, walnut shoes would also look good with green suits, if you can pull it off without looking like the Riddler.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@RichieP Thank You!

Those that picked the Patriots up in both brown and burgundy will not be disappointed IMO. I have them in both brown and burgundy shell, the brown I wear more casually around the house and even a yard\deck shoe. After about a year I had B. Nelson resole the burgundy with the equivalent of the Alden antique edge sole and am very pleased with the results.

Speaking of Long Wings and tassel loafers one of my favorite loafers is the Manchester, wish I would have had a pair made in shell now.

FistofFurySC

Reaction score
Oxblood Dalton's are calling my name, but I already have a pair in Bob's chili, and I fear the colors might be too close (don't want any redundancy with my shoes). Are the colors as similar as they look, or is there enough to differentiate between the two?

CGKIII

Reaction score
Any word on JAB trees going on sale next? I've run out of backup sets and still have a few pairs to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads