• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why don't you just have the soles topied?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just have the soles topied?

I just do not see that many people putting sole guards on Cordovan shoes and figured it was not smart to do, especially some I may end up selling as I get models I like better and a better fit.

I will do that with the ones I am keeping though now that you mention it..assuming there is no reason not to do that. I guess there is no reason to get JR soles then?

On shoes that I have that I only wear 2 times a month just does not seem to warrant sole guards but I want to make sure the sole is taken care of

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just do not see that many people putting sole guards on Cordovan shoes and figured it was not smart to do, especially some I may end up selling as I get models I like better and a better fit.

I will do that with the ones I am keeping though now that you mention it..assuming there is no reason not to do that. I guess there is no reason to get JR soles then?

On shoes that I have that I only wear 2 times a month just does not seem to warrant sole guards but I want to make sure the sole is taken care of

That seems like a massive amount of effort for something with a 20 dollar solution. They shave down the sole a bit and apply a topy. When it wears out, people replace it. You can still resole the shoes in the future.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a pair of Alden for Brooks Brothers unlined color 8 loafers where the right shoe had been a display model and it had a similar issue. The difference on these was even more dramatic though.

I originally tried AE's burgundy cordovan creme but it didn't look good. It sat on top of the leather rather than penetrating and recoloring. Eventually I used Saphir Renomat on both shoes, followed by a coat of Dubbin Graise, followed by a coat of Renovateur.

They now look like this:

It's worth noting this was before a final brushing.
A few days of sunlight isn't going to cause a few years worth of fading. Unless he puts them in direct sun until 2016, his only option is to darken them.

I suspect it will take more than a few days, but I don't want to tell him to leave them out there for a week or two and have him come back wtih something even lighter than the one he is trying to match. Frankly, I'd be surprised if it took more than a week or two to see significant results.

I can also definitively report that you can change the color of a shell shoe with Saphir's cordovan creme. I had a color #8 shell shoe with lighter unfinished areas and the Saphir took care of it without just sitting on the surface. In fact, all I do in between applications is wipe the pair down with a damp rag and brush them. I've never used AE's cordovan creme because it does not have a great reputation on this forum and your experience seems to bear this out.

I've never used Dubbin Graise, but I would be very hesitant to use it on shell shoes considering it is normally used on waxy leathers.

@iamsilvermember
I say 7 days out in the sun between 10am and 4pm would lighten the left shoe to match the right.

I would think so, but having never tried it am curious how long it would take.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That seems like a massive amount of effort for something with a 20 dollar solution. They shave down the sole a bit and apply a topy. When it wears out, people replace it. You can still resole the shoes in the future.

The re-soling was for some vintage cordovan shoes I have that have to have a new sole- I was going to do JR's on through B Nelson - I do plan on keeping them. So I should save on the JR and add the Sole guard it sounds like?

coldsalmon

Reaction score
Bourbon University webgems arrived today! In my humble opinion, they are gorgeous:

These are 9.5EEE.

rc121

Reaction score
Those do look awesome, but I also have to wonder whether they are a little too large for you? There is no gap in the lacing and they look loose around your ankles. The 3 last does tend to run a little large imo.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I just went to my local AE to check out the Independence lineup. The leather on the Jeffersons is softer and not stiff by any means. It's more supple than AE's regular lineup. The premium leather is definitely better....I would presume there is very little break-in period with AE's premium leather.

Jeze, yes the leather, lining, soles, and edging are all much nicer on the Indy shoes. The uppers are made of more supple calfskin and should fit nicer from the beginning.

-M

coldsalmon

Reaction score
Look great...are you normally a EEE...Looks similar to the Rutledge last
I have weird feet. Among other things, my right foot is noticeably wider than my left, it is just something I have to deal with. This is indeed the 3-333 last, and I have the Rutledge and the Hamilton in the same last, in size 9.5E. Unfortunately, the right shoe is too narrow in the toe in a 9.5E. The University is not offered in 9.5EE, so I went with the 9.5EEE. I will probably use a tongue pad in the left shoe, which feels slightly large. The right shoe feels spot on. I think that the looks will improve once the shoes break in and conform to me feet, as well.

There are a number of pics of me wearing the Hamilton and Rutledge in my galleries, e.g.:

I agree that they look a bit tighter around the ankle, but my right toe really starts to bother me by the end of the day. I live in NYC and walk a lot, so this is important.

Last edited:

iamsilvermember

Reaction score
@iamsilvermember
I say 7 days out in the sun between 10am and 4pm would lighten the left shoe to match the right.

I purchased a pair of Alden for Brooks Brothers unlined color 8 loafers where the right shoe had been a display model and it had a similar issue. The difference on these was even more dramatic though.

I originally tried AE's burgundy cordovan creme but it didn't look good. It sat on top of the leather rather than penetrating and recoloring. Eventually I used Saphir Renomat on both shoes, followed by a coat of Dubbin Graise, followed by a coat of Renovateur.

They now look like this:

It's worth noting this was before a final brushing.
A few days of sunlight isn't going to cause a few years worth of fading. Unless he puts them in direct sun until 2016, his only option is to darken them.
Thanks all. I would give it some light first, no risk of doing this after all. If it doesn't work out perhaps I will try with some renomat! Will report back in days.

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

Burgundy shell and white denim today . . . one of my favorite combinations:
I think that's a flattering picture of those Macneils. I've been toying with the idea of getting a pair of LWB's in shell, but perhaps Alden's makeup more so because the toe end of the shoe looks more "balanced". Would you mind posting a few more pics of those shoes?

Last edited:

rodaman

Reaction score
I think that's a flattering picture of those Macneils. I've been toying with the idea of getting a pair of LWB's in shell, but so Alden's makeup because the toe end of the shoe looks more "balanced". Would you mind posting a few more pics of those shoes?
I hope you didn't wear your pants cuffed like that. just teasing. I'm sure you didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads