• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this is appropriate for CXL. Unless the customer understands CXL, you get too many loose grain issues. Or customers unhappy with how the shoe ages over time. Even straight vegetable tannage gets the complaint when it is really getting great patina.

I think I understand CXL but I’d still be heartbroken by loose grain

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Men:

Men, what do you make of this?

I purchased this pair of Hamilton two days ago as a sort of consolation prize to myself at the $170 sale price when my intended Patton were no longer available in my size. These boots just arrived--impressively fast shipping--and upon unboxing them, this un-stuck sticker fell out of the right boot...

View attachment 1441398

Certain panels are perfectly smooth on one boot but pebbled on the other, though I note no "inconsistent finish" issues that were evidently remedied. Was this sticker an "oops" that someone in the factory forgot to remove when they shipped out to me, whereby this boot was returned/rejected for quality issues, and then repaired and re-sold as a first quality...? Has anyone seen one of these stickers before? Weird.

These are a D width and they seem to fit ok with thinner socks, even though I wear an E width in the Strand and McAllister from the same 65 last. My idea with an all-weather Patton was to have a nice option to wear to work when it rains, and while I'm not sure how much I will wear the Hamilton, it's a good deal for $170.

View attachment 1441402
I have not seen the sticker before, but I have the same pair with the shaft on the outer side of the right boot is smooth leather while the rest of the boots are tumbled leather. The cap toes are also somewhat smooth but I guess it is not that prominent. I bought these when they were first introduced (not full price though, got in a sale at $275) but upon receipt and after paying for international shipping return was not an option. So I phoned AE customer service and they gave me a further discount. Needless to say, I love these boots!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Men:

Men, what do you make of this?

I purchased this pair of Hamilton two days ago as a sort of consolation prize to myself at the $170 sale price when my intended Patton were no longer available in my size. These boots just arrived--impressively fast shipping--and upon unboxing them, this un-stuck sticker fell out of the right boot...

View attachment 1441398

Certain panels are perfectly smooth on one boot but pebbled on the other, though I note no "inconsistent finish" issues that were evidently remedied. Was this sticker an "oops" that someone in the factory forgot to remove when they shipped out to me, whereby this boot was returned/rejected for quality issues, and then repaired and re-sold as a first quality...? Has anyone seen one of these stickers before? Weird.

These are a D width and they seem to fit ok with thinner socks, even though I wear an E width in the Strand and McAllister from the same 65 last. My idea with an all-weather Patton was to have a nice option to wear to work when it rains, and while I'm not sure how much I will wear the Hamilton, it's a good deal for $170.

View attachment 1441402

I’ve seen blended grains before on boots, such as the shaft being smooth (please don’t chuckle like I just did) and the lower being a pebble grain, but this one does not appear to follow a pattern intended for a particular aesthetic. Perhaps they’re wearing their masks a bit too tight in Port Washington.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Alden doesn't do MTOs to my knowledge, so does this mean they will do a batch of CXL SMUs ordered by their retailers? hope so

Well the sticker makes you go Hmmm, as do the inconsistent panels (but only if you look close), but the photo you posted says Great lookin Boot!

Alden will do MTO for their retail partners but not individually. You could try to convince a retailer as to your particular vision.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen blended grains before on boots, such as the shaft being smooth (please don’t chuckle like I just did) and the lower being a pebble grain, but this one does not appear to follow a pattern intended for a particular aesthetic. Perhaps they’re wearing their masks a bit too tight in Port Washington.
F3B21DF3-CABC-49EC-9E08-B5A2C6BACA01.gif

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden will do MTO for their retail partners but not individually. You could try to convince a retailer as to your particular vision.
I wanted a 401 (black Indy) in eee, and a local retailer placed the order for me. 16 weeks to the day and they were in my hand. No up charge. Not a fully-designed MTO, but definitely a special order; I suspect one could do the same as long as the last and model are in production.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted a 401 (black Indy) in eee, and a local retailer placed the order for me. 16 weeks to the day and they were in my hand. No up charge. Not a fully-designed MTO, but definitely a special order; I suspect one could do the same as long as the last and model are in production.

perhaps it was because you just needed a certain width. Good for you!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Alden would make this move in regards to the cxl? Was it not selling well? Was it too expensive?
The only conjecture that I would have is for the masses there are less expensive alternatives with less drawbacks than CXL. They do charge calf prices for a steer hide leather. Horween can charge more because.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only conjecture that I would have is for the masses there are less expensive alternatives with less drawbacks than CXL. They do charge calf prices for a steer hide leather. Horween can charge more because.
Life's a ripoff, but it's a sellers market.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I understand CXL but I’d still be heartbroken by loose grain

Agreed. There is nothing inherent about CXL or Dublin that makes it susceptible to loose grain. Apples and oranges. If a shoe or boot is made up with leather with loose grain, it is because the maker let that happen.

I remember the infamous Black Friday web gem boot - I’m drawing a blank but was basically a Long Branch on the 201 made up in Dublin. It was like AE gathered up all their loose grain rejected Dublin hides and cranked a special run to get rid of it and folks were saying things like “oh, that’s just how Dublin is.” Baloney. The GMTO Dublin Long Branches back under Paul’s watch had incredible leather.

That said, I agree with Shoenut and others how some folks might get caught unawares when they see how their CXL ages. The patina can be uneven, though gorgeous, especially with “natural” CXL. Some customers might have freaked and Alden decided it just wasn’t worth the trouble.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. There is nothing inherent about CXL or Dublin that makes it susceptible to loose grain. Apples and oranges. If a shoe or boot is made up with leather with loose grain, it is because the maker let that happen.

I remember the infamous Black Friday web gem boot - I’m drawing a blank but was basically a Long Branch on the 201 made up in Dublin. It was like AE gathered up all their loose grain rejected Dublin hides and cranked a special run to get rid of it and folks were saying things like “oh, that’s just how Dublin is.” Baloney. The GMTO Dublin Long Branches back under Paul’s watch had incredible leather.

That said, I agree with Shoenut and others how some folks might get caught unawares when they see how their CXL ages. The patina can be uneven, though gorgeous, especially with “natural” CXL. Some customers might have freaked and Alden decided it just wasn’t worth the trouble.
It’s very easy to hide loose grain in Dublin leather though!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is what Horween exhibits as acceptable break on their website discussing loose grain.
29032430-7E1F-4980-93F2-5521A8CD1127.jpeg

would you accept that on a calfskin shoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads