• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comparing my new snuff Leeds with Alden snuff LHS. The Leeds are much darker. I was hoping the color would be lighter but it's still a nice shade

View attachment 1413754

By the way, what's the verdict with suede chukka and shorts?

View attachment 1413755
I like the look; I'll have to try it with my Surreys (nubuck, not suede, but probably close enough)...

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These I believe were the exact same shoes Strand King sent to me. These are in excellent condition, especially being made in 2000. Someone on here in my size 8 D might want to consider jumping on these.

These are calfskin (5237), I believe. The pair I sent to you is shell (5297).

Either way the Sanford is a classic. Great value for an older pair in great condition.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm - this might go nicely with the olive Parks or weave...
68D1930A-11C0-487D-B839-73A16E3A0745.jpeg

Ohhh the color options. Hey AE - hint!!
DBED9E7B-E087-4A10-A446-6D5F984AA363.jpeg

Last edited:

Southwick

Reaction score
Ohhhh man. I’m a big Manchester fan, the idea of beautiful “Antique Burgandy” Manchester’s languishing at Burlington Coat Factory makes me sad.

I realize that there was a terrible dark-ages where the tassel loafer (best loafer) was incorrectly seen as an “old-man’s” shoe. I’m not sure how this happened, other than the world being full of dumbass opinions.

I formed my opinion that the “Tassel Loafer is Best Loafer” from observing my father. For all his flaws (of which he has many), the one thing my father was (and still is) is one seriously badass dresser. He formed his style pattern in the mid-60’s, as an up-and-coming NYC attorney. By the time he made partner at one of the premier firms in NYC (the youngest in that firms history, IIRC) he had the 2 and 3-piece mod look, thanks to Savile Row tailors “Dege & Skinner” down to a science. Tall, sleek and minimalist, fitted to a tee, eyes always hiding behind gradiated smoked aviators, he finished the look with the one element where he allowed affectation: Ferragamo wingtip tassel loafers.

When the 70’s rolled in, he changed nothing about this look, avoiding all the silliness of that decade. In the 1980’s he looked 100% on point. In fact, he always dressed like a total badass. Even “off-duty”, he rocked the spezzy meets Gatsby meets “Bond-villain” look like a boss, complete with rolled-sleeves, ascot and Ferragamo tassel loafers with no socks. I look back at family photo’s of us out on the island during the summer, or during holiday events, and damn if the guy wasn’t an absolute sartorial monster of the first order. Through it all, those Italian loafers, worn with 0.0 f*cks given.

From a very early age, and through even my teenage years, my one unwavering opinion (shared by my brother, as we often marveled at his seemingly effortless sartorial excellence), was that the guy knew how to dress. I’m pretty sure his meteoric rise was, in no small part, due to his ability to look the part.

Recently, at a family get together, now in his late 80’s, but still rocking his look, he looked over at me in my white linen shorts, salmon cuffed button down, sockless Manchester’s, and waved at my shoes “say, those are pretty smart, what are they?”. I responded “AE’s”, and he nodded approvingly. He then pointed at his half century old shoes: “Ferragamo”. I responded “yes dad, I know”, followed by “you know dad, tassel loafer is best loafer”. I expected him to shoot me some sort of quizzical look, instead, while looking out over his grandkids playing on my lawn, without missing a beat, he responded: “Indeed”.

I damn near fell out of my chair.
jP3set2.jpg
This is awesome.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohhhh man. I’m a big Manchester fan, the idea of beautiful “Antique Burgandy” Manchester’s languishing at Burlington Coat Factory makes me sad.

I realize that there was a terrible dark-ages where the tassel loafer (best loafer) was incorrectly seen as an “old-man’s” shoe. I’m not sure how this happened, other than the world being full of dumbass opinions.

I formed my opinion that the “Tassel Loafer is Best Loafer” from observing my father. For all his flaws (of which he has many), the one thing my father was (and still is) is one seriously badass dresser. He formed his style pattern in the mid-60’s, as an up-and-coming NYC attorney. By the time he made partner at one of the premier firms in NYC (the youngest in that firms history, IIRC) he had the 2 and 3-piece mod look, thanks to Savile Row tailors “Dege & Skinner” down to a science. Tall, sleek and minimalist, fitted to a tee, eyes always hiding behind gradiated smoked aviators, he finished the look with the one element where he allowed affectation: Ferragamo wingtip tassel loafers.

When the 70’s rolled in, he changed nothing about this look, avoiding all the silliness of that decade. In the 1980’s he looked 100% on point. In fact, he always dressed like a total badass. Even “off-duty”, he rocked the spezzy meets Gatsby meets “Bond-villain” look like a boss, complete with rolled-sleeves, ascot and Ferragamo tassel loafers with no socks. I look back at family photo’s of us out on the island during the summer, or during holiday events, and damn if the guy wasn’t an absolute sartorial monster of the first order. Through it all, those Italian loafers, worn with 0.0 f*cks given.

From a very early age, and through even my teenage years, my one unwavering opinion (shared by my brother, as we often marveled at his seemingly effortless sartorial excellence), was that the guy knew how to dress. I’m pretty sure his meteoric rise was, in no small part, due to his ability to look the part.

Recently, at a family get together, now in his late 80’s, but still rocking his look, he looked over at me in my white linen shorts, salmon cuffed button down, sockless Manchester’s, and waved at my shoes “say, those are pretty smart, what are they?”. I responded “AE’s”, and he nodded approvingly. He then pointed at his half century old shoes: “Ferragamo”. I responded “yes dad, I know”, followed by “you know dad, tassel loafer is best loafer”. I expected him to shoot me some sort of quizzical look, instead, while looking out over his grandkids playing on my lawn, without missing a beat, he responded: “Indeed”.

I damn near fell out of my chair.
jP3set2.jpg

You write well. ?

While not a fan of the Manchester I do like loafers, generally, regardless of what others think. Like many “men of a certain age,” I had a pair of burgundy Bass Weejuns in college. In fact, they and a new pair of black McAllisters were the only “nice” shoes I had when starting my first job out of school.

Now I have tan RLxAE calf and AE truffle shell pennies, Alden burg shell tassels, and C&J snuff suede tassels. Loafers are a summer staple for me but, curious to some I’m sure, only with long pants. I can’t bring myself to pair with shorts. That’s what my Maritimes are for. :)

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You write well. ?

While not a fan of the Manchester I do like loafers, generally, regardless of what others think. Like many “men of a certain age,” I had a pair of burgundy Bass Weejuns in college. In fact, they and a new pair of black McAllisters were the only “nice” shoes I had when starting my first job out of school.

Now I have tan RLxAE calf and AE truffle shell pennies, Alden burg shell tassels, and C&J snuff suede tassels. Loafers are a summer staple for me but, curious to some I’m sure, only with long pants. I can’t bring myself to pair with shorts. That’s what my Maritimes are for. :)

Totally on board - I currently have a burgundy shell Adams, burgundy shell Grayson, merlot Grayson, black Jermyn, black Cody, and bitter chocolate suede Shanley. Wouldn't wear them with shorts though - got two Nashuas for that.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still wearing the Loden suede Strands. This part of #Olivegate.
07D080BB-5889-4EB8-A6B1-88AF04D9563C.jpeg

For those of you who like pictures of drinks in your shoe thread. This was made with Makers. Not sure if that is a good Bourbon or not. But it is the correct color.
7A3E9535-3D6D-4ADC-9CBB-818A31131EB1.jpeg

frosejr

Reaction score
WEASEL ALERT
Merlot Hopkinsons, 247 on the site. I figured, nice day for a drive to Tysons to meet an SA, maybe get a hookup for 20% off, or at least give somebody a little commission. I met Steve, super cool guy. Told him my reason. When he rang the shoes up, they rang at 199.99. 20% off later, I had Hopkinsons on the way to my house for 169.58 including tax.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WEASEL ALERT
Merlot Hopkinsons, 247 on the site. I figured, nice day for a drive to Tysons to meet an SA, maybe get a hookup for 20% off, or at least give somebody a little commission. I met Steve, super cool guy. Told him my reason. When he rang the shoes up, they rang at 199.99. 20% off later, I had Hopkinsons on the way to my house for 169.58 including tax.
Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads