• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy eh? Can you post some pictures? Curious to see how your walnut looks now

I don't wear a lot of walnut, at least in regular calf, so I only have a few examples. Daltons I posted this morning have navy on the toes/heel. Here is a more accurate pic:

A few examples can be found on post 4891 on page 327, post 997 on page 67, and post 1013 on page 68. (I've never linked to specific posts, so not sure how this will work out.)

These also have some navy on the toes (and maybe cognac everywhere), though not picked up completely in the photo.

FaRKle

Reaction score
Hmmm. Not sure we are on the same page here... Or perhaps I just need lunch (and more coffee).

FYI - I don't think they make C widths in Dalton/Dundee. I was just using 9.25C to say what my ideal fit would be in the Daltons. I'm in a 9D right now, which is slightly short for me now, with some heel slip. 8.5E was way too short, 9.5D had too much volume, 9.5B was too narrow, don't recall if I tried the 10B or not.

You mention they should fit the same, but then say you wear different sizes in each? Based upon your examples (7.5 E Daltons and maybe ideal Dundee would be 7 and 2.5 Es?), it seems the Dundee fits longer and more narrow?

I misinterpreted your "9.25C" to be a typo and thought you meant "9.5C" which can be had SMU (same how I had a 2E width made in the 511 last).

How is your 9D short if you have heel slip? Wouldn't that mean that the back of the shoe isn't grabbing your heel because it's too long? Or is the shoe too long for you heel to ball, but too short for you in front of the ball for your toes (in which case the last just isn't a good fit for you)?

Sure I wear 7 2E in my Dundees now, but 7.5 E would give me more room in front of the toes, which is what I'd like since the 511 has a fairly quick taper in on the outside of the shoe from the ball. The difference would be between fits, and fits better. The Dundee isn't longer and narrower IMO.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@middlepP I'll keep this short. I own the Dalton and tried the Dundee 2.0. Bottom line is the overall shapes are extremely similar. As I said in my guide, you gotta factor in the eyes. With so many eyes on the Dalton, I found weird unexpected pressure at the instep. With fewer on the Dundee, I found I had to lace them really tight to keep my heel from slipping. Same toe, same length. Hope this helps.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I misinterpreted your "9.25C" to be a typo and thought you meant "9.5C" which can be had SMU (same how I had a 2E width made in the 511 last).

Thanks, I had not considered the SMU route. I do feel like you lose value with AE once you start paying retail (or retail + fees). If going the SMU calf route, I think I would move to a different maker. However, if I was paying for AE shell...

How is your 9D short if you have heel slip? Wouldn't that mean that the back of the shoe isn't grabbing your heel because it's too long? Or is the shoe too long for you heel to ball, but too short for you in front of the ball for your toes (in which case the last just isn't a good fit for you)?

Length is FAR from the only factor in heel slip. Width, volume, lacing gap, footbed being broken in enough for heel to settle, etc. I don't have to look too far in my collection to find longer shoes with less/no heel slip as my Daltons.

@middlepP I'll keep this short. I own the Dalton and tried the Dundee 2.0. Bottom line is the overall shapes are extremely similar. As I said in my guide, you gotta factor in the eyes. With so many eyes on the Dalton, I found weird unexpected pressure at the instep. With fewer on the Dundee, I found I had to lace them really tight to keep my heel from slipping. Same toe, same length. Hope this helps.

@Neo1 - thanks for the info. I agree completely about the ability to lace tighter and hold everything in place. If I am having trouble with the Daltons, I'm guessing I would experience the same or worse in the Dundee. Crazy as it sounds, this has me leaning towards going up from 9D to 9.5D and using one of the road warriors inserts. And, btw, I have turned to the fit guide more than once. Great starting point for anyone!

parks1388

Reaction score
Did you have an opportunity to try the 201 last....

If I'm reading correctly...

Thanks for your help, guys! I returned the Lexington's and went with MacNeil 2.0s in black. I could not be happier. I now know that what i was dealing with before was painful and an incorrect size because the Macneil is snug and stiff with no heel step and I, like I said, couldn't be happier. This is the first time a dress shoe has fit like this for me. Now I am addicted. Already looking for my next shoe. I'm thinking something in the burgundy family. I had an oxblood pair of Leeds 2.0's lined up, but I can only afford the factory second price right now and the factory refused to ship the 11.5 eee to my SA "due to the condition of the shoe."

I've read posts elsewhere that the 511 runs smaller? Should I try the 12eee Leeds?

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, guys! I returned the Lexington's and went with MacNeil 2.0s in black. I could not be happier. I now know that what i was dealing with before was painful and an incorrect size because the Macneil is snug and stiff with no heel step and I, like I said, couldn't be happier. This is the first time a dress shoe has fit like this for me. Now I am addicted. Already looking for my next shoe. I'm thinking something in the burgundy family. I had an oxblood pair of Leeds 2.0's lined up, but I can only afford the factory second price right now and the factory refused to ship the 11.5 eee to my SA "due to the condition of the shoe."

I've read posts elsewhere that the 511 runs smaller? Should I try the 12eee Leeds?

It is definitely possible that a 12EEE will fit better. If you Got a Macneil in 11.5 EEE its worth a shot to try 12EEE for the 511.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't wear a lot of walnut, at least in regular calf, so I only have a few examples. Daltons I posted this morning have navy on the toes/heel. Here is a more accurate pic:
LL
A few examples can be found on post 4891 on page 327, post 997 on page 67, and post 1013 on page 68. (I've never linked to specific posts, so not sure how this will work out.) These also have some navy on the toes (and maybe cognac everywhere), though not picked up completely in the photo.
LL
Exactly what I was looking for. They look great! Thanks.. I"ll do the same with my strands and work my way up to black

Middlife

Reaction score
@FaRKle @Neo1 @middlepP

How does your sizing for the Dundee differ from your 65 last sizing on something like the Strand?

I have a pair of Dundees that are too big and I am looking to grab another pair that fits correctly.

Thanks in Advance!

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was looking for. They look great! Thanks.. I"ll do the same with my strands and work my way up to black

No problem!

I had some unnecessary hesitation when starting out. Light coats, perhaps alternating between navy and neutral - with the plan to get "there" eventually, rather than in 1 treatment. Remember, its just polish. You can always start over if necessary.

HoldenMI

Reaction score
How does your sizing for the Dundee differ from your 65 last sizing on something like the Strand?

I have a pair of Dundees that are too big and I am looking to grab another pair that fits correctly.

Thanks in Advance!
My Dundees and all my 511 lasted shoes are the same size as my 65 lasted shoes. Do you find a sizing difference? The 511 has more volume than the 65, but I'm a 10.5 B in both.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got in my shoes from the seconds sale. They're seconds for sure.

Well I gambled and lost. Time to pay up $30!

Middlife

Reaction score
My Dundees and all my 511 lasted shoes are the same size as my 65 lasted shoes. Do you find a sizing difference? The 511 has more volume than the 65, but I'm a 10.5 B in both.
I take a 7.5 EE perfectly on the 5, 8E can work but is a tad snug but most shoes aren't offered in EE. I end up swimming with 7.5EEE or it's too tight at 7.5E. 8E is often too tight aswell but it does work at times, I think 8E is most likely my best bet for the Dundees.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I take a 7.5 EE perfectly on the 5, 8E can work but is a tad snug but most shoes aren't offered in EE. I end up swimming with 7.5EEE or it's too tight at 7.5E.  8E is often too tight aswell but it does work at times, I think 8E is most likely my best bet for the Dundees.

I don't own the Dundee (yet), but have 4 other 511 last: Dalton (9D), LB (9E to accommodate boot socks, but 9D might be better), Fullerton (9D) and Fenway (9.5D).

I take 9D across all 5 lasts. I'm roughly 9.5D brannock, with a longer heel to ball.

Based upon what others have shared, I think 8E should be your starting point.

FaRKle

Reaction score

Thanks in Advance!

The best 65 last fit for me is 7EEE, with that the heel is a tad bit wide, and the instep is snug (on bals). Heel to ball feels perfect, and width across the ball is good as is room in the toes. I also have some 65 last bals in 7.5EE (your size), and they fit pretty well, except there's a bit more pressure on my instep than I like, and on some I get a bit of bowing due to the width of my mid-foot. The heel size is perfect for me on those though.

7EE in the 511 last is good heel to ball, good in heel width, but a bit short in the small toes area (not uncomfortable, but I'm aware that my small toes are touching the shoe and I wouldn't be comfortable if I wore anything thicker than thin socks). There's plenty of room in the instep. 7EEE remedies the toe room concern, but is too wide, especially in the heel (even with medium weight socks). 7.5EE has just too much volume all around, although heel to ball still felt good.

Did you get Dundees in 8E like your Daltons and they were too big for you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads