1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

I need to catch up on today's posts. It is early yet but it has been an expensive day so far. I purchased another pair of carlyles in black (work), a pair of Hopkinson in black (suit), and a shoe tree.

Topping it off with the first pair of AEs I have not had to break in. The Rutledge is so comfortable, it is insane. Too bad I am breaking the no brown shoes with black pants rule, but I was too excited to wait for Monday.

[​IMG]

My awful attempt at watchidiot's pose.

4 people like this.
  2. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chili MacNeils for a Friday afternoon at the horse races in cheap clothes and expensive shoes. Have a good Friday and weekend, everyone!

3 people like this.
  3. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Well it looks like a few days to make a decision on those. I like them in brown but I think getting things not shell just cannibalizes others in the rotation unless I'm just moving towards a 3-4 week rotation haha.

4. gm928

gm928 Senior member

The Budays are available in shell for a small $300 upcharge . . . .

1 person likes this.
  5. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I saw that but now its a $774.99 pair in shell. I think I think I'll stick to AE seconds shells for now or until a trunk show. If I break that $700 mark for shell then alden and all the others become OK to purchase because it won't be that big of a stretch. Treacherous you are. Your avatar photo is fitting! hahah

6. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Arg someone beat me to it!

7. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Wearing some not very well loved by SF Tan Banchory today. Got them hardly worn from our favorite seller and while I hate the ones in blue, I'm a fan of these.
    [​IMG]

8. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Basically just a Nuemok longwing?

9. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Yep. Longwing blucher. Has v-tread.

10. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Suede Dundees, gotta catch 'em all
    Its you and me
    I know it's my destiny
    Suede Dundees, oh, you're my best friend
    In a world we must defend
    A heart so true
    Our courage will pull us through
    You teach me and I'll teach you
    Gotta catch 'em all
    Yeah

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  11. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

How would you compare them to Lobb in quality? I've been looking at a Lobb for just about $200 more than this drop.

And back on topic: Freiburgs and chinos
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Reminds me of when the 7-string guitar was invented -- kind of left some of us high and dry. I don't think it looks bad at all, but probably unnecessary.

13. OmBom

OmBom Member

I visited the Plano store Wednesday to return some McAllisters in Merlot that had too wide a V gap for my liking. The three HM pairs on display had the same toe scrapes/dents as these. It looks like a manufacturing defect, something their machinery is doing to mess up the toes of these boots.

14. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Casual Friday in navy Maritimes and grey chinos. (Have I mentioned how much I love CXL?) Hope everyone has a great weekend?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I hear you. I broke that barrier twice with Alden shell and Carmina shell. Quite a psychological blow. But if it means anything, Buday >> both Alden and Carmina as far as quality of construction and skilled artisan handiwork.

16. peppercorn78

Oooh, which JL? Me too actually. Also considering a shell Vass boot instead...

Well, it's an interesting question. Buday's hand welted construction is superior to JLP's Goodyear construction for sure, and Buday like Vass uses ONLY hand process (except for a singer sewing machine for uppers). Lobbs (RTW line) are still machines factory shoes (though hand lasted), so if that distinction matters to you, then Buday is more compelling.

However, John Lobb Paris is owned by Hermes, which owns all the best tanneries in the world. And who do you think gets first pick of all the prime cuts of hide? Not to mention that of all the Northampton houses, the Prestige line offers perhaps the highest quality finishing and detailing. EG top drawer and GG Deco are comparable.

Perhaps @Jazzmenco can offer some insight ;)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    2 people like this.
  17. Incainwetrust

Incainwetrust Active Member

[​IMG]
    Took out my HM boots for their first voyage. Developed some early creases, probably loose grain. I don't think it's too bad. What do you all think?

1 person likes this.
  18. peppercorn78

Looks like normal CXL behavior TBH

19. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

So turns out that Allen Edmonds retail and the ShoeBank are out of merlot belts in my size. What other brands do you guys know that sell dress belts similar to merlot? I want them for my merlot McAllisters. I don't want anything to expensive. Thanks!

20. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Nice! The (tan) Freiburg might be one of THE best AE values ever. Super comfy and great looking casual boot. If I recall, firsts were promo'd at something like $150.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.