• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

allen edmonds #4 last

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, the 3 and the 4 lasts are dead. which is a shame, because the 4 last was very popular among some forumites.

iirc, the 4 is very similar to the 1 and the 7. the 3 is also similar, but with a bigger toebox.

well-kept

Reaction score
I stockpiled several pair on the number four, against the day there'd be no more. Glad I did. I really can't compare it to anything else. Find it VERY different from the 7, for example, no matter what AE says about similarities.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
I stockpiled several pair on the number four, against the day there'd be no more. Glad I did. I really can't compare it to anything else. Find it VERY different from the 7, for example, no matter what AE says about similarities.

Which styles did you stockpile?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trojanman74
i went to the AE website and they have a description about the 4 last, any opinon on what last it compares to best?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...Id=40000000001

edit. they just updated their site and deleted their #3 last description too.

I found the the number 4 to be overly wide. I dropped from a D to C which was a tight fit the first three times I wore them afterwhich they were near perfect. For reference the 5 and 8 lasts fit me best.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
I stockpiled several pair on the number four, against the day there'd be no more. Glad I did.

I wish I had.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Find it VERY different from the 7, for example, no matter what AE says about similarities.
Actually, I find it very similar except for the narrower toe box.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
I found the the number 4 to be overly wide. I dropped from a D to C which was a tight fit the first three times I wore them afterwhich they were near perfect. For reference the 5 and 8 lasts fit me best.

I have several shoes on the #4 last, most notably the Byron.

A shoe saleswoman--at a store that sells AE--told me the #4 was the fullest (roomiest) last they ever made. My own experience causes me to agree.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Can you get an AE model on whatever last you want? I don't think you can, so what's the point? I guess it's good for classification and to know which models to avoid.

And on their website, if you look at a shoe, they don't say what last it is on. How can you find out without going to the store?

Anyway, I just find it a little frustrating. As long as I'm going to bother with knowing which last I like the most, I'd like to ask for a certain shoe on that last.

EDIT; nevermind, if you read the "shoe bio" it tells you the last. Of course, you still have to read them all to find out which shoes come on the last you like.

b

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I have several shoes on the #4 last, most notably the Byron.

A shoe saleswoman--at a store that sells AE--told me the #4 was the fullest (roomiest) last they ever made. My own experience causes me to agree.

Not even close. The 3 and 0 were quite a bit roomier...their measurements on the AE chart demonstrate this. Also, the 4 (like the 7) had a substantially lower toe box than most of the others, even the 5.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The number 4 last was my favorite A-E last although I actually have more shoes on the #1 last.

The only time I ever tried a shoe on the #7 last was the MacNeil in shell. I got a lot of heel slippage and so I passed on them. The heel slippage may have been exacerbated by by the fact it was both double-soled and shell cordovan.

I am not sure about the 0 last being wider than the #4. I have three pairs of bluchers on the 0 last (I presume Teacher is referring to the old 0 last, not the recently introduced one). All are a good fit. When I tried the Birmingham (a balmoral) in my normal size, it was much too tight through the ball and toe box. It was suggested to me that this disparity was caused by the difference between a bal and a blucher. However, no such disparity occurs between my three pairs of Byrons and the eight pairs of bluchers I own on the #4 last.

As to special ordering A-E styles on different lasts, it can't be done. You can have the various styles made in different leathers and colors, but you can't have them made on a different last from the factory-standard version, probably because of the way their manufacturing is set up.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, not wider Jan, but there is more room in the toe box/vamp area. It's not an enormous difference, but I can feel it...at least on the ones I have (and I'm pretty sure the old chart showed a slight amount of difference, too).

ADDENDUM: Ah, I see I said above that both the 3 and 0 were "quite a bit" roomier. I typed too hastily.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Not even close. The 3 and 0 were quite a bit roomier...their measurements on the AE chart demonstrate this. Also, the 4 (like the 7) had a substantially lower toe box than most of the others, even the 5.
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I am not sure about the 0 last being wider than the #4. I have three pairs of bluchers on the 0 last (I presume Teacher is referring to the old 0 last, not the recently introduced one). All are a good fit. When I tried the Birmingham (a balmoral) in my normal size, it was much too tight through the ball and toe box. It was suggested to me that this disparity was caused by the difference between a bal and a blucher. However, no such disparity occurs between my three pairs of Byrons and the eight pairs of bluchers I own on the #4 last.
OK, I compared a old pair of #0 last spectators with #4 last Byrons, both size 10D. The #4 last has a wider waist (about 1/8" wider than #0 measuring the bottom of the soles) The #4 last is 3/8" longer The #0 last has a bit more volume at the toe box overall, but a pointier toe. The #4 is about 1/16" wider at the heel. I think it comes down to which areas you are measuring. One thing for sure, both these shoes are significantly fuller than a comparable sized pair of Edward Greens.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I have three pairs of bluchers on the 0 last (I presume Teacher is referring to the old 0 last, not the recently introduced one).
FWIW, I don't know how this jibe's with AE's marketing terminology, but the salespeople at the AE store in San Francisco refer to the new 0 last as the "00" (or "double-oh"/"double-zero") last. I can only image that like knowledgable forumites, they are very familiar with the old 0 last and want keep a mental distinction.

yyzsuitsme

Reaction score
Does anyone know how a Berkeley (#0 last) would compare with a Dawson (#4 last)? I'm a 10 with room to spare on the Dawson. I tend to wear thick socks too.

Thx.

iseevideo

Reaction score
I used to take a 12AA in most AE styles, but since putting on about 20 pounds, I find a 12A now fits better. But I'm worried about ordering the Macneil in 12A, knowing that the 7 last tends to run wider. Any opinions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads