1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alfred Sargent

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rabiesinfrance, Jun 9, 2011.

1. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

I'm looking at what's out there and AS seem to have pretty much gone - Pediwear seems to be winding down their stock (lots of bargains to be had), and other retailers seem to have ditched their shoes. Naturally, this makes me nervous about buying anything - issues about quality, perhaps?

2. asdf

asdf Senior member

I'm looking at what's out there and AS seem to have pretty much gone - Pediwear seems to be winding down their stock (lots of bargains to be had), and other retailers seem to have ditched their shoes. Naturally, this makes me nervous about buying anything - issues about quality, perhaps?

Kinda the opposite: they are focusing upwards on the quality spectrum with their "exclusive" and "handgrade" ranges. It's a shame, really, because I thought their premier line was just about the right balance of quality and price.

3. kraftar

kraftar Senior member

I believe they're launching a new range of shoes in September so maybe they're clearing out the old stock to make room for the new stuff. Can't say anything about the quality as I don't own any.

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Well AS is mostly focusing on handgrade shoes, very high end, however, richard the shoehealer has quiet a few, he orders mostly the country line, check https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/ also i have a pair in the fs thread cuz im trying to get something else, see below :)

5. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

I'm interested in their country zugs - difficult to find leather type. I think Sargent have the reputation, like Tricker's, for making decent country footwear. Nice solid stuff. Personally, that's the only line I'd look at, and the price can be very variable - pitched upper £200s in some cases. I'm reluctant to try Tricker's as their brown zug is 'slightly oiled' - can be difficult to maintain. If they don't look right, then I'll return.

It does concern me that the rats appears to be leaving a sinking ship!

6. countbaron

countbaron Senior member

I dont know about rats or ships

I know I was told by someone at a social gathering that this brand was a reputable high end brand. I have usually relied on my wife for shoe buying - she knew my baseline requirements simple as they were, i.e., that they must have laces and be black or brown , but that was it

for several reasons I now want to make my own decisions and when I googled this name and I got what I described in my original thread- which was not much

my question to this forum -which is google's favourite- is very simple : is this brand worth it for high end shoes or should I go look somewhere else?

No bull please,
    I have enough troubles

7. countbaron

countbaron Senior member

And yes, I did create a new ID in this forum because I was afraid asking these questions would jeopardise my attempt to sell shoes here, which i simply bought in a Northampton factory shops- marriage breakup and all

I don’t know where Alfred and sergent sell shoes but I was hoping to buy some here in the UK.

As it stands god knows where these shoes are made/can be bought at a factory outlet

Sorry for all the context- but it has been a difficult few months

8. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

A&S have been retooling since last year. Their shoes vary greatly in quality depending on which line you go after.

AFAIK I have not heard anything about them going out of business.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

it seems my original post has been hijacked despite the fact that no one replied to it I was honestly looking at Alfred and Sargent shoes when i posted my question yesterday I dont know how things work here, but my question still stands: is Alfred and Sargent a viable concern or not? I dont care about point scoring

what is Alfred and Sargent? and whats your question? viable concern?

I'm interested in their country zugs - difficult to find leather type. I think Sargent have the reputation, like Tricker's, for making decent country footwear. Nice solid stuff. Personally, that's the only line I'd look at, and the price can be very variable - pitched upper £200s in some cases. I'm reluctant to try Tricker's as their brown zug is 'slightly oiled' - can be difficult to maintain. If they don't look right, then I'll return. It does concern me that the rats appears to be leaving a sinking ship!

I gave you a link where you can get AS country line in the previous post
    Trickers are great and good quality shoes, i highly recommend

I dont know about rats or ships
    I know I was told by someone at a social gathering that this brand was a reputable high end brand. I have usually relied on my wife for shoe buying - she knew my baseline requirements simple as they were, i.e., that they must have laces and be black or brown , but that was it
    for several reasons I now want to make my own decisions and when I googled this name and I got what I described in my original thread- which was not much my question to this forum -which is google's favourite- is very simple : is this brand worth it for high end shoes or should I go look somewhere else? No bull please, I have enough troubles

AS is good high end shoes, look into EG, Lobb, G&G, Rider Boot co, basically go to www.leffot.com to find what you want in high end

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

very pleased with my AS premier chathams

11. asdf

asdf Senior member

afinepairofshoes.com has a bunch of their shoes also

12. blakewho

blakewho Active Member

Alfred Sargent are a long-standing maker of good quality shoes. They had some financial difficulties a couple of years ago but have now altered their business model to move away from the Loake/Cheaney/low end Grenson area and concentrate more on handgrade shoes of the same sort of quality as Edward Green, or perhaps even better. There are lots of examples on this forum and elsewhere on the net of the work they are doing now and speaking to people in the trade they are creating some beautiful shoes. It looks like this move into a higher quality and price bracket could be a success for them.

The old AS models may not be around too much longer. But they were always well made and good value for money. If you're thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair then go for it. I have four pairs myself and they are all among my favourite shoes.

13. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

is Alfred and Sargent a viable concern or not?

Yes.

They are not going out of business. They are simply discontinuing a lot of the lines presently in the market in preparation for an upmarket relaunch toward the end of the year. Retailers carrying inventory of their current lines are probably just clearing out existing stock. Frankly, this makes for sme great deals right now. A lot of the soon-to-be-discontinued lines are great, and especially attractive at such deep discounts.

14. dasai

dasai Senior member

Last week here in Japan, I saw a punch-cap oxford, called the "Rush", which I quite liked. I wonder if it's a discontinued model, a yet-to-be-officially-announced model, or something Japan-exclusive. [​IMG]

15. Leather man

Leather man Senior member

It is correct that Bodileys of Northampton and Pediwear have abandoned AS. I suspect the main reason is AS move up market - and for Bodileys the natural replacement has been Cheaney. Pediwear also appear to be abandoning Cheaney.

Two people in the retail sector have told me that AS are still not in the clear yet financially - does this mean their future is uncertain? - only AS are in a position to know that - and if they were still in trouble they would not admit it of course - nor would I expect them to.

The fact that their website is "offline" until September does not inspire confidence either - although the reason given is they are re-developing it - and without any other evidence we must assume that the given reason is correct.

16. countbaron

countbaron Senior member

After checking out the number of sales going on at the UK web stores for AS and taking into account that their web presence is reduced to a blog I think you need a pretty generous interpretation of the smoke signs not to assume the worst- but of course one can never be sure of anything in thing in this world

Regardless of that now that I had the time to see the recent history of AS in this forum it seems to me that several members who were pushing them very hard only 6 months ago would have some explaining to do. I would even say that this extends to the site itself because of the support that was given at the time

Anyone willing to come forward?????

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

After checking out the number of sales going on at the UK web stores for AS and taking into account that their web presence is reduced to a blog I think you need a pretty generous interpretation of the smoke signs not to assume the worst- but of course one can never be sure of anything in thing in this world

Regardless of that now that I had the time to see the recent history of AS in this forum it seems to me that several members who were pushing them very hard only 6 months ago would have some explaining to do. I would even say that this extends to the site itself because of the support that was given at the time

Anyone willing to come forward?????

Sorry, but if I understand you correctly, are you asking forum members - or the whole forum - to come forward and say sorry for "pushing" Alfred Sargent shoes?

Why? They may be in financial trouble, but they may simply be restructuring with a view to moving upmarket.

In any case, no-one is out of pocket, no-one has ordered anything from AS and not received it, and there are no problems.

No-one is creating a fuss here except yourself, and yet as far as I am aware, you haven't actually purchased anything by AS. I'm a bit curious as to why you seem to think that it is such an issue.

18. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Kinda the opposite: they are focusing upwards on the quality spectrum with their "exclusive" and "handgrade" ranges. It's a shame, really, because I thought their premier line was just about the right balance of quality and price.
    I think you're right on both of your points: that they're shifting production to focus on their higher lines and that their premier line (which is being phased out, except perhaps for some mtos) was the best-value, entry-level, goodyear-welted shoe on the market.

my question to this forum -which is google's favourite- is very simple : is this brand worth it for high end shoes or should I go look somewhere else?

No bull please,
    I have enough troubles

It's worth it. But if you're in the UK, you don't have to trust us. You can check them out in person.

I believe that they have the website down because they're working on a brand new one.

19. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

I don't usually bother replying to these strange questions. Mainly because the question isn't really asking anything. However, I will today (as I'm awake).

If you wish to find out about AS, you can:

1. Call them.

2. Look at the various threads mentioning AS and PM any of the members that you think are "pushing" AS for information.

3. Seek financial information about AS, after obtaining their details from Companies House and perhaps pay to inspect their public records.

I gave up posting my shoes because I didn't want people thinking that I was some stooge for AS and my intake of shoes reduced because of my financial situation.

I do agree it's not a good idea to have the website say such little information, but if you take the time to look at the blog you can see shoes are still being produced.

I also know that an AS representative was in Finland yesterday and if you look at Leffot (which a member mentioned above) you will see that they are still selling current AS shoes.

Leather man (with whom I have a lot of a regard for in what he writes) provided you with some "insider" information.

So, the question can be answered by yourself. Do you trust Alfred Sargent? It's your money.

I don't really see the point asking the same questions using various "personalities".

Clint

20. Alfred Sargent

Alfred Sargent Active Member

Hi Gentleman,

Just reading through this thread and it seems most have the correct opinion, we are indeed concentrating on a higher level of shoemaking and as a result there are, as some suggest, some deals to be had currently as we clear old stock of the Premier, Classic and Country ranges.

We will have two ranges come September, AS Handgrade and AS Exclusive.

We are currently, in addition to considering how the website can best serve ourselves and our clients, finishing samples of new styles for the Exclusive range, there will be 25-30 styles in this range in total.

I hope that you don't mind the update, I have many clients who frequent SF including some who over time have become good friends so felt it was perhaps best to provide a brief insight. Going forward we have quite a few long term plans and ideas that we feel our clients will enjoy. If anyone wishes to visit us or has any questions they would like me to answer my email is on the contact section of the Alfred Sargent blog and I will happily assist.
    Thanks for your support as always.

Best, Chay.