Alfred Sargent

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rabiesinfrance, Jun 9, 2011.

1. countbaron

countbaron Senior member

After checking out the number of sales going on at the UK web stores for AS and taking into account that their web presence is reduced to a blog I think you need a pretty generous interpretation of the smoke signs not to assume the worst- but of course one can never be sure of anything in thing in this world

Regardless of that now that I had the time to see the recent history of AS in this forum it seems to me that several members who were pushing them very hard only 6 months ago would have some explaining to do. I would even say that this extends to the site itself because of the support that was given at the time

Anyone willing to come forward?????

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

After checking out the number of sales going on at the UK web stores for AS and taking into account that their web presence is reduced to a blog I think you need a pretty generous interpretation of the smoke signs not to assume the worst- but of course one can never be sure of anything in thing in this world

Regardless of that now that I had the time to see the recent history of AS in this forum it seems to me that several members who were pushing them very hard only 6 months ago would have some explaining to do. I would even say that this extends to the site itself because of the support that was given at the time

Anyone willing to come forward?????

Sorry, but if I understand you correctly, are you asking forum members - or the whole forum - to come forward and say sorry for "pushing" Alfred Sargent shoes?

Why? They may be in financial trouble, but they may simply be restructuring with a view to moving upmarket.

In any case, no-one is out of pocket, no-one has ordered anything from AS and not received it, and there are no problems.

No-one is creating a fuss here except yourself, and yet as far as I am aware, you haven't actually purchased anything by AS. I'm a bit curious as to why you seem to think that it is such an issue.

3. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Kinda the opposite: they are focusing upwards on the quality spectrum with their "exclusive" and "handgrade" ranges. It's a shame, really, because I thought their premier line was just about the right balance of quality and price.
    I think you're right on both of your points: that they're shifting production to focus on their higher lines and that their premier line (which is being phased out, except perhaps for some mtos) was the best-value, entry-level, goodyear-welted shoe on the market.

my question to this forum -which is google's favourite- is very simple : is this brand worth it for high end shoes or should I go look somewhere else?

No bull please,
    I have enough troubles

It's worth it. But if you're in the UK, you don't have to trust us. You can check them out in person.

I believe that they have the website down because they're working on a brand new one.

4. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

I don't usually bother replying to these strange questions. Mainly because the question isn't really asking anything. However, I will today (as I'm awake).

If you wish to find out about AS, you can:

1. Call them.

2. Look at the various threads mentioning AS and PM any of the members that you think are "pushing" AS for information.

3. Seek financial information about AS, after obtaining their details from Companies House and perhaps pay to inspect their public records.

I gave up posting my shoes because I didn't want people thinking that I was some stooge for AS and my intake of shoes reduced because of my financial situation.

I do agree it's not a good idea to have the website say such little information, but if you take the time to look at the blog you can see shoes are still being produced.

I also know that an AS representative was in Finland yesterday and if you look at Leffot (which a member mentioned above) you will see that they are still selling current AS shoes.

Leather man (with whom I have a lot of a regard for in what he writes) provided you with some "insider" information.

So, the question can be answered by yourself. Do you trust Alfred Sargent? It's your money.

I don't really see the point asking the same questions using various "personalities".

Clint

5. Alfred Sargent

Alfred Sargent Active Member

Hi Gentleman,

Just reading through this thread and it seems most have the correct opinion, we are indeed concentrating on a higher level of shoemaking and as a result there are, as some suggest, some deals to be had currently as we clear old stock of the Premier, Classic and Country ranges.

We will have two ranges come September, AS Handgrade and AS Exclusive.

We are currently, in addition to considering how the website can best serve ourselves and our clients, finishing samples of new styles for the Exclusive range, there will be 25-30 styles in this range in total.

I hope that you don't mind the update, I have many clients who frequent SF including some who over time have become good friends so felt it was perhaps best to provide a brief insight. Going forward we have quite a few long term plans and ideas that we feel our clients will enjoy. If anyone wishes to visit us or has any questions they would like me to answer my email is on the contact section of the Alfred Sargent blog and I will happily assist.
    Thanks for your support as always.

Best, Chay.

6. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

The hand-grade and Exclusive lines have to be seen in the flesh to appreciate how good they are, but there are threads here and in Ask Andy with pics. Well worth the experience of creating a shoe with Chay and his team.

7. asdf

asdf Senior member

Thank you, Chay.

Now bring back the premier line [​IMG]. Absolutely the best shoes in their price range.

8. countbaron

countbaron Senior member

From experience I know that questioning AS in anyway in SF is not a good idea. So I won't.
    Why this is such a sensitive issue I have no idea.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

From experience I know that questioning AS in anyway in SF is not a good idea. So I won't.
    Why this is such a sensitive issue I have no idea.

I don't think that it's a sensitive issue - I just think that you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

A company reduces its supply of shoes because it's apparently restructuring, and you then proceed to conclude that a) the company is likely to close down because it's in financial difficulty, and b) that Styleforum members - in fact, the entirety of SF - should somehow apologise because people were talking about the high quality of Alfred Sargent shoes.

I think that you're getting a bit too emotionally involved with Alfred Sargent here. It's a shoe company. You can buy their shoes, or not. That's all there is to it.

10. countbaron

countbaron Senior member

Please dont tempt me to open my mouth since it will just lead to me being banned

The thing is i willingly say that i have no special info on AS. In actuality it is the sensitiveness around the subject that makes it all so conspicuous. I for one believe it is counter-productive for AS as it makes it seem they have something to hide.

I can also detect that some big timers here would like to shoot at AS- most likely for commercial advantage but also maybe out of what they consider to be undue favouritism.

It is all happening above my head between people here with interests that go beyond discussion of merits- and this is from all sides.

I am just a guy that gets pissed off with censorship

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I am just a guy that gets pissed off with censorship

There's no censorship, as evidenced by the free discussion in this thread.

No-one has censored you for your comments - all I've done is ask you why you seem to be so sensitive about Alfred Sargent, as you seem to be getting rather too emotionally involved and seeing some sort of conspiracy where there is none.

12. asdf

asdf Senior member

A shoe company is moving towards higher-end production and shifting their target demographic. What conspiracy are you seeing?

I dont think AS gets talked about here nearly as much as, say, Alden or C&J.

You are weird.

13. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Please dont tempt me to open my mouth since it will just lead to me being banned The thing is i willingly say that i have no special info on AS. In actuality it is the sensitiveness around the subject that makes it all so conspicuous. I for one believe it is counter-productive for AS as it makes it seem they have something to hide. I can also detect that some big timers here would like to shoot at AS- most likely for commercial advantage but also maybe out of what they consider to be undue favouritism. It is all happening above my head between people here with interests that go beyond discussion of merits- and this is from all sides. I am just a guy that gets pissed off with censorship
    Unless there's a lot more context to this that's been missed on this thread, you're beginning to sound a bit simple. Are you actually interested in buying some shoes or do you have actually have some financial stake in the future commercial success of AS? I think any immediate concerns regarding the quality of the shoes (sound) to their future (OK for the moment) seem to have been covered so I can't see what's with the conspiracy theories and censorship?

14. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

What's the approximate cost of their MTO shoes. Was thinking of a dark navy two eyelet blucher.

15. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Hey ca an one tell has Alfred Sargent got a shop in London? I am considering Jodhpur Boots from C&J, EG and other shoe manufacturers, the ones AS offers seems too good for the bargain. I would like to see it in person. Can anyone help?