• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden - trubalance in wide width or modified?

deaddog

Reaction score
I have browsed the alden threads but haven't found a clear answer to my specific question - maybe its there and I missed it or maybe there is no clear answer. But here is the question:

I have a bone spur off my big toe due to arthritis (looks like a bunion) requiring me to have extra width in the ball area. Trubalance last in a boot (J Crew plain toe) fits perfect in 8.5D except for the ball area. If I want to achieve a wider ball and keep the rest of foot fitting the same, am I better off trying a Trubalance 8.5E or a Modified 8.5D? I understand that ultimately every foot is different and trying on is key - but we all know the difficulty of finding Alden's in stores and/or the costs of return shipping.

Any insight appreciated. And for those of you who suggest professional stretching, I have not found that helpful with other shoes.

Thanks

SpiffEngineer

Reaction score
I have browsed the alden threads but haven't found a clear answer to my specific question - maybe its there and I missed it or maybe there is no clear answer. But here is the question:
I have a bone spur off my big toe due to arthritis (looks like a bunion) requiring me to have extra width in the ball area. Trubalance last in a boot (J Crew plain toe) fits perfect in 8.5D except for the ball area. If I want to achieve a wider ball and keep the rest of foot fitting the same, am I better off trying a Trubalance 8.5E or a Modified 8.5D? I understand that ultimately every foot is different and trying on is key - but we all know the difficulty of finding Alden's in stores and/or the costs of return shipping.
Any insight appreciated. And for those of you who suggest professional stretching, I have not found that helpful with other shoes.
Thanks
I think trubalance is as wide as it gets, but modified may fit some feet better.
Reference:

Last edited:

deaddog

Reaction score
Thanks. Any thoughts on whether going up a width in Trubalance (from D to E) is primarily felt in the ball/toebox or is it also in the heel?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Thanks. Any thoughts on whether going up a width in Trubalance (from D to E) is primarily felt in the ball/toebox or is it also in the heel?

Both. The standard is 1/4" per width size. The Truebalance already has a wide heel but 1/4" shouldn't make THAT much of a difference.

deaddog

Reaction score
Thanks - that is quite useful. (and as a side note, nobody at shoemart could answer the question). the extra 1/4" at the ball would be great and I suspect I could tolerate the bigger heel

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished changing a sole edge from black to neutral(I've done this many times ) and realized that a number of people who post in this thread might be interested to know just how easy it is
1- wipe down face of edge using moderate pressure with a coarse cotton rag and acetone use care to keep acetone off upper this step is optional it just speeds up the sanding
2-sand edge with@100 grit paper until all edge dressing is removed again take care to not scratch upper follow up with @400 grit
3- if desired at this point stain edge with desired color shoe cream apply to @ 3-4 " of edge and wipe immediatly with clean rag continue until entire edge is stained let cream dry a few minutes
4- the next step is called burnishing using a rag , sponge or even just your finger dampen @ 3-4" of sole edge then using a coarse cotton rag ( canvas or denim work well) immediatly begin rapidly rubbing the dampened section as fast and with as much pressure as you can muster the leather will become smooth and glossy continue until entire edge is complete
5- at this point i apply a coats of neutral or tan wax polish buffing briskly between coats
unfortunatly the upper face of the welt is not so easily dealt with. Darker edges I find blend
well enough but i have lightend this surface with reno mat and a tooth brush
here are a couple examples I hope some will find this useful. This entire process takes me @ 1 hr
[/IMG]

sorry wrong thread

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads