Alden - trubalance in wide width or modified?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by deaddog, Nov 6, 2012.

1. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

I have browsed the alden threads but haven't found a clear answer to my specific question - maybe its there and I missed it or maybe there is no clear answer. But here is the question:

I have a bone spur off my big toe due to arthritis (looks like a bunion) requiring me to have extra width in the ball area. Trubalance last in a boot (J Crew plain toe) fits perfect in 8.5D except for the ball area. If I want to achieve a wider ball and keep the rest of foot fitting the same, am I better off trying a Trubalance 8.5E or a Modified 8.5D? I understand that ultimately every foot is different and trying on is key - but we all know the difficulty of finding Alden's in stores and/or the costs of return shipping.

Any insight appreciated. And for those of you who suggest professional stretching, I have not found that helpful with other shoes.

Thanks

2. SpiffEngineer

SpiffEngineer Senior member

I think trubalance is as wide as it gets, but modified may fit some feet better.
    Reference:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  3. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

Thanks. Any thoughts on whether going up a width in Trubalance (from D to E) is primarily felt in the ball/toebox or is it also in the heel?

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Both. The standard is 1/4" per width size. The Truebalance already has a wide heel but 1/4" shouldn't make THAT much of a difference.

5. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

Thanks - that is quite useful. (and as a side note, nobody at shoemart could answer the question). the extra 1/4" at the ball would be great and I suspect I could tolerate the bigger heel

6. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I just finished changing a sole edge from black to neutral(I've done this many times ) and realized that a number of people who post in this thread might be interested to know just how easy it is
    1- wipe down face of edge using moderate pressure with a coarse cotton rag and acetone use care to keep acetone off upper this step is optional it just speeds up the sanding
    2-sand edge [email protected] grit paper until all edge dressing is removed again take care to not scratch upper follow up with @400 grit
    3- if desired at this point stain edge with desired color shoe cream apply to @ 3-4 " of edge and wipe immediatly with clean rag continue until entire edge is stained let cream dry a few minutes
    4- the next step is called burnishing using a rag , sponge or even just your finger dampen @ 3-4" of sole edge then using a coarse cotton rag ( canvas or denim work well) immediatly begin rapidly rubbing the dampened section as fast and with as much pressure as you can muster the leather will become smooth and glossy continue until entire edge is complete
    5- at this point i apply a coats of neutral or tan wax polish buffing briskly between coats
    unfortunatly the upper face of the welt is not so easily dealt with. Darker edges I find blend
    well enough but i have lightend this surface with reno mat and a tooth brush
    here are a couple examples I hope some will find this useful. This entire process takes me @ 1 hr [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry wrong thread

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013