• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Strands, Gucci Bit Loafers or Kent Wang Single Monks?

KingBankUno

Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys thought of as a good choice for a third shoe to add to my rotation for work. I already own a pair of black AE Park avenues and dark brown AE 5th Avenues, so I'm covered on the conservative, understated shoe front and I want a something a bit more "out there" without being too flashy. Gucci loafers are the de facto "nice" shoe in my office and junior employees typically purchase them after their first bonus. I like the look, but they seem a bit too common where I work.

For reference:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6105_1_40000000001_-1_

http://www.gucci.com/us/styles/307929BLM002535#

http://www.kentwang.com/shoes/handgrade-monkstrap.html#

dmourati

Reaction score
I just bought the Strands in walnut. I think the Gucci's are pretty ugly, especially that buckle. Today I read the following quote regarding monks: "Monk straps are brogues that went to better schools."

My vote would be for the Strands or the Monks depending on your style. Maybe because you have two AE already branch out and go for the monks.

I have nothing but good things to say about KW.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you like the horse-bit loafer, AE's Verona is identical as the Gucci IMO (I have two pairs), only real difference is a slightly less thicker sole. For about half the price, they are hard to beat, even at the boutique they couldn't tell the difference until I told them. If the Gucci loafer is ubiquitous at your work though, I can see how the topic might come up, and the hazing that might ensue. So that is up to you.

I would look at the Mora from AE, it's a good looking double monk, or just get the walnut Strand, which are ubiquitous here in StyleForum...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads