• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Strand Cordovan Problem - Please Help!

bucksfan

Reaction score
Can someone speak to the quality of AE cordovan and compare it to other brands? Thus far my experience is limited to C&J and Florsheim shell. I like the look of th tran, hence my question.

AE, Alden and C&J all use Horween cordovan - so the raw material is identical. The differences lie in the finishing. In my opinion, C&J > Alden > AE as far as final finishing goes. But, that is also reflected in the price.

The Strand's brown shell cordovan is pretty close in color to the C&J for RL "Marlow" line of shoes.

bucksfan

Reaction score
I'm going to exchange them and give AE one more chance. I'm hoping it's just a one-off problem with this pair.
I guess an interesting question would be whether any of you would keep the shoes given my situation. Seems like swiego kept his Cambridges even with the collar slightly loose. The pant leg usually would cover the bulging, but I fear the creasing will just get worse over time.

You also might want to try sizing down, to see if that problem goes away. It seems maybe too much material between the heel and ball of your foot?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I guess an interesting question would be whether any of you would keep the shoes given my situation.

no. it looks like wrong size and wrong last. probably, they've been mislabelled from the beginning. take them with you, when you verify in the store. best luck.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are your shoes flexing outwards when you stand still? I have the Strand in calfskin and it flexes in the exact same place when I walk. Both shoes have creased under the ankles, but it does not bother me enough to return them, since it is not visible unless I look closely at the shoe.

ymmt

Reaction score

Are your shoes flexing outwards when you stand still?  I have the Strand in calfskin and it flexes in the exact same place when I walk.  Both shoes have creased under the ankles, but it does not bother me enough to return them, since it is not visible unless I look closely at the shoe.

Yeah, the photos in the OP show me in a standing position. As I said, the Fifth Aves (same last as Strand) exhibit this 'bowing' effecting, but not to the same degree. I would say maybe 1/5" to 1/4" inch on the Fifths vs. the 1/2" on these guys.

I just got off the phone with a cusomter rep at AE and she said it might be due to the top line being too baggy. They can double check this when the shoes are returned to the factory and fitted into their lasts. Great part was that the lady was pretty knowledgeable.

ymmt

Reaction score

You also might want to try sizing down, to see if that problem goes away.  It seems maybe too much material between the heel and ball of your foot? 

I plan on stopping by the local AE retailer and sizing down to see if I have the same issue.

i always thought this is due to flat feet?

I do have flat feet, but that doesn't explain why my other #5 last and the shell Strands in-store fit better.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE, Alden and C&J all use Horween cordovan - so the raw material is identical.  The differences lie in the finishing.  In my opinion, C&J > Alden > AE as far as final finishing goes.  But, that is also reflected in the price.

The Strand's brown shell cordovan is pretty close in color to the C&J for RL "Marlow" line of shoes. 

Thanks this was very helpful. I have the Lindrick boot, so will hold off for now.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Horween ships the exact same color to both of them...whether either of them do anything with it after, I dunno. it's hard to say b/c there is so much variation even comparing 2 "identical" shells

ymmt

Reaction score
Bad news. Just got the replacement pair and they have the same problem. There are also some other problems with quality such as loose threads. These are going back to AE, I will need to face the fact that I can't wear the cordovan Strands. Will see if I can get a pair of similar Carminas while in Madrid.

ymmt

Reaction score

Sorry to hear it. Does the same thing happen on the size down?

I didn't size down on the second pair since I thought it was a manufacturing issue (perhaps mislabeled). The length of the shoe is perfect, toes are around 1/2in from the tip. Dropping a half size or so shouldnt affect the topline gapping (right?). The person I spoke with on the phone at AE suggested that I drop to a C width. I have a feeling this might make the gapping more pronounced. Anyone have any input on this? Maybe moving from D to E will solve this. I decided that I am going to give this one last exchange before giving up.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you can go to a store, u should try as many sizes as you can then you will find out what's the right size for this particular shoe.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if you can go to a store, u should try as many sizes as you can then you will find out what's the right size for this particular shoe.

+1 - you need to go to a store. Nordstroms carries a pretty solid size selection of the Park Avenue, which is also on the 5 last iirc, even if they don't have the Strand in your size. The AE stores / outlets are of course your best bet, but you need. to. go. to. a. store. AE should be able to help you find one, to be honest - they're usually great about customer service touches like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads