• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE shoes in Canada and other questions

Frankie

Reaction score
I live in Canada (MontrÃ
00a9.png
al). The only stores I can buy Allen Edmonds shoes are Harry Rosen and TF Firma. Here are the models TF Firma are offering:

http://www.tffirma.com/store/Allen-Edmonds-shoes~4

What do you think of the Tribeca and the Back Bay models? They both belong to the "crosstown collection" which means they are versatile but are non-recraftable so they are cheaper. Should I keep my money and buy only recraftable shoes?

I guess the Black Bay is the new version of the Perry which has a rubber sole. But is the Perry "recraftable"? Are only leather soled shoes recraftable?

I was thinking of getting the Tribeca in black and the Back Bay in burgundy but I'll try them on in store before. And by the way, if I find my size, say 12D, can I order other models like the Park Avenue and the Clifton or Perry from Zappos Canada in the same size? What is a last BTW?

Thanks
François

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frankie
I live in Canada (MontrÃ
00a9.png
al). The only stores I can buy Allen Edmonds shoes are Harry Rosen and TF Firma. Here are the models TF Firma are offering:

What do you think of the Tribeca and the Back Bay models? They both belong to the "crosstown collection" which means they are versatile but are non-recraftable so they are cheaper. Should I keep my money and buy only recraftable shoes?

I guess the Black Bay is the new version of the Perry which has a rubber sole. But is the Perry "recraftable"? Are only leather soled shoes recraftable?

I was thinking of getting the Tribeca in black and the Back Bay in burgundy but I'll try them on in store before. And by the way, if I find my size, say 12D, can I order other models like the Park Avenue and the Clifton or Perry from Zappos Canada in the same size? What is a last BTW?

Thanks
François

Ripoff. Tent sale is June 11, 2009. 40% off discontinued and seconds selling for 199. No import duties to Canada because they are made in the US. Dollar at 90 cents. Buy from the shoe bank directly.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying AEs in Canada is an excruciatingly expensive proposition -- avoid at all costs!
baldy[1].gif

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sean Archer
Ripoff. Tent sale is June 11, 2009. 40% off discontinued and seconds selling for 199. No import duties to Canada because they are made in the US. Dollar at 90 cents. Buy from the shoe bank directly.

Partly true. No duties because they're made in the US, but likely Customs brokerage fees since they ship via UPS iirc + TPS/TVQ.

Originally Posted by eg1
Buying AEs in Canada is an excruciatingly expensive proposition -- avoid at all costs!
baldy[1].gif

+1 Check B&S and ebay instead.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frankie
I live in Canada (MontrÃ
00a9.png

Thanks
François

If you check the Allen Edmonds website every current model will have an "R" or not .. with R meaning it can be recrafted. Look for a little white box underneath the photo of the shoe .. that's where you'll see the "R"

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Partly true. No duties because they're made in the US, but likely Customs brokerage fees since they ship via UPS iirc + TPS/TVQ.

+1 Check B&S and ebay instead.

Can anyone confirm the brokerage fees part?

Albern

Reaction score
While I'm not sure if I had paid an actual brokerage fee as a result, when I bought 2 pairs of shoe trees through Cedarville I had to pay $12 at the post office. When I asked why there were additional costs having citing NAFTA and the fact that the trees are made in the US the person behind the counter didn't have much to say. They were shipped via UPS.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
While I'm not sure if I had paid an actual brokerage fee as a result, when I bought 2 pairs of shoe trees through Cedarville I had to pay $12 at the post office. When I asked why there were additional costs having citing NAFTA and the fact that the trees are made in the US the person behind the counter didn't have much to say.

They were shipped via UPS.

Were the total cost of those trees $36 by any chance?

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Were the total cost of those trees $36 by any chance?

I ordered 2 pairs of shoe trees; the Washburn and the Ultra. Total cost before shipping was ~$60 less the styleforum coupon as well.

Is "36" a meaningful / significant number?

CrocsRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
I ordered 2 pairs of shoe trees; the Washburn and the Ultra. Total cost before shipping was ~$60 less the styleforum coupon as well.

Is "36" a meaningful / significant number?

If you picked it up at the post office, chances are good a chunk of that was tax. I'm not sure if Canada Post charges brokerage fees. FedEx and UPS will gouge you with brokerage fees, though.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You will definitely pay brokerage fees if your items are shipped UPS/FedEx/Puro.

Originally Posted by CrocsRock
If you picked it up at the post office, chances are good a chunk of that was tax. I'm not sure if Canada Post charges brokerage fees. FedEx and UPS will gouge you with brokerage fees, though.

Big time. Canada Post rarely if ever charges them. I think I only once paid a $5 or $8 brokerage fee with Canada Post on a purchase that wasn't marked as a gift with a value declared < $50...

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
You will definitely pay brokerage fees if your items are shipped UPS/FedEx/Puro.

Big time. Canada Post rarely if ever charges them. I think I only once paid a $5 or $8 brokerage fee with Canada Post on a purchase that wasn't marked as a gift with a value declared < $50...

Can the tent sale people ship by USPS?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads